Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Vayne Solidor evil?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Please... not this again...

The Occurians are not Gods but the souls of a single man.
    This man is the True villain of FFXII.

I think Lord Larsa already realized who is this Villain.
    Yes, this villain is Future Esthar/Serapy, just as he is in every other forum.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I am not serapy
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Sorry, wasn't meaning to imply that. It was more of an either/or thing.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I really felt the writer intended for Vayne to be a tragic hero, but something happened in the production (like the mastermind of the project quitting) and the writer decided to write him as the atypical JRPG villain during the last battle. Its this last battle that smurfs up my reasoning cause Vayne basically does become a power hungry "god complex" villain with characteristics that are completely unfamilair of anything we've seen. We're talking smooth and calculating villain suddenly becoming like Kefka or Kuja literally between a cutscene and there is an inconsistency with the rest of the script concerning this. Throw in the fact that the whole final dungeon and last battle comes off really forced and unpolished. The whole thing reeks of a rush job in my opinion.
    I always thought this was because he fully embraces Venat's power. He's cornered by the party, so he taps into Venat's power. He doesn't realize he wouldn't be able to handle it, so he goes insane. That's just my interpretation, though.

I allways felt the main heros were supposed to fail their quest if it weren´t for the subtle influence of more humble persons (Vaan,Penelo,Dalan,etc...).
    If weren´t for them Ashe would be dead,Bach would die with people blaming him forever,Larsa would not become emperor and nethicite would win over.
    Because they were destined to.
    Only something from the ghostly realm could change timeline.~
    They would follow the destiny writed for them from the gods laughing on they heavenly abode.
    (Pay close attention to this last words).

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Guru View Post

I always thought this was because he fully embraces Venat's power. He's cornered by the party, so he taps into Venat's power. He doesn't realize he wouldn't be able to handle it, so he goes insane. That's just my interpretation, though.
    If memory serves me correct, Vayne never mentions anything about becoming the Dynast-King until the last battle. He literally goes from trying to teach Larsa and being very composed in the cutscene proceeding your party entering Sky Fortress Bahamut; to suddenly " I'm the next Dynast-King!!! Suck on that Biatches!!! Larsa? Who the smurf is that? VAYNE SMASH!!!"

I felt the personality change and motive change was a bit too drastic. I'm not saying that Vayne never intended for world domination and this is proof it was added in (though I do believe this) but rather I just want to point out the inconsistency and poor writing. I just don't feel the story foreshadowed his true intentions well enough, otherwise, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

This is not to meant Ashe or others weren´t heros.Of course they were.They overcome darkness on the decisions they had to take.

Regards,
    Big D

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I don't think he was evil like the other FF villains, but he was no saint either. Especially with (SPOILER)his killing his father and two older brothers.

I think he did want world domination as time went on, just not through the occurian but his own strength. Remember he was (SPOILER)planning on attacking Rozarria after fighting the resistance. His insanity at the end felt like a last ditch effort.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, I always feel its unfair to nail him with taking out his brother's cause the game never said these were innocent or saint like. For all we know (and most likely) these guys were like Vayne and plotting to kill each other anyway so I can't really count this as a crime. Especially considering how common it is in real history.

So it's ok for one plotter to kill another plotter? Man, that would simplify politics so much. Just hand each one a sword and give the world to whomever came out on top.

Just because Vayne slaughtered bad guys as well as good guys and innocents, that does not make him a noble character. It just makes him an equal-opportunity psychopath.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't necessarily feel he's a psychopath. Though I agree he isn't exactly a hero but he has noble ambitions and whose to say he would be a bad ruler? Several rulers in our own history murdered their way to the top and followed it up with the complete execution of their political enemies and they are regarded as great men and woman who changed their nations for the better. Whose to say Vayne wouldn't be the same, I don't remember him talking about turning Dalmasca or Nalbina into the FF version of the Congo.

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

As another poster said, it almost feels as if Vayne was trying to protect Larsa from becoming the ruler with an iron fist that Vayne felt he had to be. Larsa openly defied him and the worst Vayne did in return was talk down to him rather than icing him as he did his two other brothers. The fact that he did that on top of killing his father does not make him evil IMO, since this has been done in real life for thousands of years for a myriad of reasons and has oftentimes helped the masses at large.

I will say that what he did to the refugees was definitely a "villain" move, but he really did want to save his people. He almost kinda felt like Bush with the "either you're with us or against us" attitude, so to me he came off more of a pompous egomaniac than some sort of evil mastermind.

As for what he did with Judge Drace, he was merely trying to test Gabranth's loyalty, another common happening in our history.
    derp

He's not evil! He's just a little confused. Poor thing. D:

It didnt take me too long in combat against him to realize that he wasn't my friend.