Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Vayne Solidor evil?

Default Is Vayne Solidor evil?

I thought this would be an interesting topic, I have heared people say before that they don't consider Vayne to be evil, and some say that he isn't really the main antaganist. I though a debate about whether he is evil or not would be interesting, so here it is.

I know I usually take a back seat in most of the topics I make, but this time I think I'll play a slightly bigger part, so I'll start off.

I personally believe Vayne is evil, as evil as any power hungry dictator can be. I believe the difference between Vayne and someone like Ex-Death is that Vayne constantly justifies his actions to the characters in the game. Vayne is a villian that doesn't at all see himself as a villian or a bad guy. This gives the impression that what he is doing is for the good of mankind, but the methods he uses to achieve his goals are certainly less than noble.

So the floor is open.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I was willing to accept that Vayne might have been ambiguously righteous right up until he (SPOILER)started screaming and turned into a giant hulked-out demon monster at the end.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's a dead giveaway, really.

i think he was on a noble and righteous quest

he was the second coming and morons ended him before his work was complete!!!! the end is nigh!!!!!!!!
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

He looks almost identical to Laguna Loire....
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

lol i had never noticed that efore

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    lol i had never noticed that before
    .... you didn't????
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Articles
    Blog Entries

I put it like this: if you think the main point of a Yasumi Matsuno game is that there is no black & white, then you are a Matsuno character stuck inside one of his games.

Nearly all of the Ivalice stories chronicle how the protagonists are able to rise above and transcend the moral ambiguity that dominates their setting.

I suppose you could argue that Vayne is simply a product of the harsh environment he is apart of. And he obviously does believe in the strong have the will to power type philosophy of power politics, and that he thinks that is best. But being caught up in that is his sin, he's unable to see through the fog on his blind quest for power.

It's really sad at the end when (SPOILER)you see all the characters when they're younger and you think about how they were to become or the things that would happen to them

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    It's really sad at the end when (SPOILER)you see all the characters when they're younger and you think about how they were to become or the things that would happen to them
    Younger? I don't remember that. I thought it showed them maybe a few months later.

I was willing to accept that Vayne might have been ambiguously righteous right up until he (SPOILER)started screaming and turned into a giant hulked-out demon monster <noscript>&lt;span class=&quot;spoiler&quot;&gt; started screaming and turned into a giant hulked-out demon monster&lt;/span&gt;</noscript> at the end.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To be honest I don't think evil really fits Vayne he struck me as more misguided a guy so caught up in his own ambition he fails to see the right and wrong in a situation, an egomaniac!

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

I didn't really consider Vayne to be the main villain until (SPOILER)you raid Bahamut. "Misguided" would probably describe him better than "evil". I forgot, did he commit any major atrocities during the game?
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

.... you didn't????

nope sorry aha

he kinda reminded me of Cao Pi from dynasty warriors 5 a little bit though

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth1999AD View Post
    I didn't really consider Vayne to be the main villain until (SPOILER)you raid Bahamut. "Misguided" would probably describe him better than "evil". I forgot, did he commit any major atrocities during the game?
    I believe (SPOILER)he ordered the judges to destryo Mt. Bur-omisace and kill the grand kiltias. Sounds like an atrocity to me.
    Last edited by DarkMateria; 06-12-2009 at 03:56 PM.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by the AJman View Post
    I personally believe Vayne is evil, as evil as any power hungry dictator can be.
    Vayne constantly justifies his actions to the characters in the game.

Vayne is a villian that doesn't at all see himself as a villian or a bad guy.

This gives the impression that what he is doing is for the good of mankind, but the methods he uses to achieve his goals are certainly less than noble..
    >>> Dude, thats the worst kind of evil.
    Vayne is like a handsome version of Adolf Hitler..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..