Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why there will be no FFVII remake

You know, I honestly couldnt care if FFVII gets a remake or how silly/stupid/weird/bizzare or good/cool/stylish it may look, as far as im corncerned, with the way SE have done things from 1-6, an FFVII remake paves the way to the 2 games I actually care about getting a remake/re-imaging, FFVIII and FFIX.

Oh, and before I get tackled by the fanboys, im not saying that the game is bad, heck I think the FFVII series is pretty good, and id play a remake regardless, im just saying that not all of us care that much about the topic which has sparked so much chaos. To some of us it's just "FFVII might be getting a remake? heh, cool."

I'm only interested to find out if they will apply the same things (that lead to theories) in the remake version.

FFVII shouldn't get a remake because during its production, Square-Enix would undoubtedly think, "Hey, let's 'improve' one or two things," and screw everything up.

Now, an FFVII handheld port would be right on the money.

there's already a port, it's on the PSN for download to your PSP...

Well, there you go. Let the milking finally cease.

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

FF7 is only beloved so much because that was the first FF most people played, so you really have to take this game with a nostalgic grain of salt.

Alot of people have said the dialogue was deep. No. Just no. FF is famous for waxing philosophical and mythological, but I'd think that my time would be better spent reading the sources they originated from rather than seeing a video game try to pass it off as intelligent writing. There were alot of ripped themes in FF7, notably Martin Heidegger (no not the character, the real guy, though the character name is a great example of what I'm talking about). I don't mind a bit of "borrowing" but FF7 was pretty unoriginal storyline wise if you knew anything about philosophy or western mythology before playing it. Yes most RPGs in general are guilty of this but this is the one that people go around acting like it's the end all game of the universe. It's not.

Still, some of the stuff was good, like the relationship between Cloud and Barrett gradually changing throughout the game, showing Corel Town as a product of Shinra's greed all while having a rich playground (Gold Saucer) in their backyards. The materia system was kinda innovative I suppose, and there were quite a few memorable scenes. On the other claw, Sephiroth wasn't an original bad guy. He was the same nihilistic antagonist who wanted to destroy the world for no real reason just as in many other RPGs. The only difference was he was known from the beginning and didn't magically appear out of nowhere on the last disc *cough*Ultimecia*cough*. I think the reason why he was liked so much is that you could see the buildup between him and Cloud and actually kinda got to know him but I digress. Speaking of FF8, is anyone else getting sick of seeing Amnesia in RPGs? Ugh.

It just annoys me when people say how "deep" this game was while saying FF12 had no plot whatsoever in the same breath. Maybe if I was 10 and couldn't wrap your head around something at least semi-intelligent then yeah I guess I'd feel the same way.

Though it does surprise me that they didn't remake it yet, since they've remade some of the other FFs as many as 5 times already.

I could continue rambling, but seeing as I am reptilian and therefore possess claws, it is very hard for me to type, rather I have to flick my tongue at the keys one at a time. And all that ranting made my tongue hurt, now how will I please my girlfriend? Crap.

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - version
    Anyways I hope it won't ever be remade just to spite the fanboys.
    derp

Oy gevalt.

Yeah, FF7 is by no means deep (in fact, I don't think any of the games are supposed to be), but it's still a classic by any definition, you have to admit. The characters are memorable, and it kept us entertained for at least the 20 hours of gameplay it boasted. It's a good game, with its flaws that every game has.

By the way, if your tongue being out of commission has exhausted your means of pleasing your girlfriend, then maybe it's time you had "the talk". :P

haha

Well yes it is a classic game since it brought FF to the mainstream, so in that sense you're very much correct. As far as characters go, their development seemed kind of off key. Like when Barrett feels for Dyne in that junkyard scene, yet doesn't seem to give a crap that his crew was responsible for the plate collapse that killed a bunch of innocents.

And I never said that it wasn't a good game in its own right because well, it is. I just don't think it deserves alot of the praise it gets.
    derp

i think the praise comes from that most of us played it when we were kids when everything was all new and shiny and didnt realize they were lego chars. i still do this with childhood movies and such, just makes it better i am 25 and playing it again i am ashamed and happy at the same time

Yeah nostalgia tends to cloud (no pun intended) ones judgment.
    I was 14 when I first played it, but now I just laugh at the dialogue. Though again there are a few select parts that I genuinely thought were and still are good.

Anyways, another reason why I don't think a remake will be made is because of how popular it is, SE doesn't need to re-release this game in order for more people to buy into the series, whether it just be the FF7 angle or the FF series as a whole, but that's just my take on it.
    derp

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

10+ years later.

I wonder if Sephex is hyped or not?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Pretty astute of him to discuss the idea of "filler" material! This is a neat time capsule to look back on, though.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.