dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    My rule is that they can only be books I've already read, or essays that I haven't read, because I feel like listening to the audiobook of a novel you haven't read is crass and in bad taste.
    This. Also, the voice shouldn't affect the first way you see a text, no matter how fabulous the actor is.
    Definitely. Most voice actors aren't very good in the audio books I've listened to, but Jeremy Irons reading Lolita was honestly a religious experience, and only enhanced my very favorite book of all time. It helps that Jeremy Irons played Humbert Humbert in the movie, and looks and sounds exactly as I pictured HH when I first read the book.

I'm reading Lolita right now. Beautiful writing though I'm still a little uncomfortable reading it on the bus. I didn't know about the movie and now I definately need to hear Jeremy Irons reading it...but I keep imagining Scar from the Lion King reading it which is a little disturbing.

Heretics of Dune

Frank herbert is amazing. Too bad his grandson ruined the series.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro. My fourth novel by him (after The Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go and When We Were Orphans). Not read a great deal at the moment because university reading lists are awful things that often suck me dry of the want to read, but oh well!
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

I'm "reading" this in the lightest sense one can mean that they're "reading" something. I bought this book last September and I have read one chapter, a few days ago.

I just finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in one day because I was at work and was doing nothing and I honestly didn't care for it at all, despite the numerous recommendations I'd received for it. I just bought Don Quixote and The Collected Oscar Wilde, but I think I want to read Madame Bovary next.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

Anyone who doesn't like Alice and Through the Looking Glass is a terrible person >|

I really want to read "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through The Looking Glass" at one point.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I'm about to start reading book 9 of The Wheel of Time.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm not reading anything at the moment and it's sort of bothering me. I've been trying to find books based on mind control, but I couldn't find any except for Brave New World, which I didn't understand a word of. I guess I'll go back and read an old HP or something.

right now im reading "the years of rice and salt" by kim stanley robinson. its an alt history story where the black plauge killed everyone in europe, and islam and buddism become the major powers in the world telling of the similarities and differences ending in the year 2002

its really esoteric.

after that one of the ender books by orson scott card unless the next star trek comes out early (not due till the 30th)
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpleberry View Post
    Anyone who doesn't like Alice and Through the Looking Glass is a terrible person >|
    Yeah, I love pedophiles too.

I'm not currently reading anything but I my next read is going to be Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie, followed by the third in the series Last Argument of Kings. Abercrombie is a pretty impressive first time writer.

I'll also be picking up Scott Lynch's The Republic of Thieves when that comes out sometime next month (hopefully). He's another good first time fantasy author.

I just bought Don Quixote and The Collected Oscar Wilde, but I think I want to read Madame Bovary next.
    Oscar Wilde's work is almost all amazing and that is a very good collection.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

I'm not saying I'm a rabid Lewis Carroll fan, and I'm totally undecided on that matter, but I still think the books are wonderful.

I'm just saying Alice in Wonderland was a gift to his 12-year-old girlfriend.