Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Books you are currently reading

I'm currently rereading Contact, by Carl Sagan, which is my favorite book ever.

After that, I have three books to read and analyze over the next couple months as part of my summer homework for my AP English class next school year.

They are:
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
    The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Everyone who's in that class with me is whining about actually having to do something over the summer; I guess they wanted easy classes for their senior year. I personally love analyzing literature.
    Last edited by Medi; 06-23-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Rye made this!

Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
    Leadership Gold by John C. Maxwell
    FFX-2 FMV's Upscaled and Filtered to 720p (link fixed)

The games I've beaten...

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | X-2 | XII

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. It's the seventh book in a series I'm re-reading for the 8 millionth time.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I'm not currently reading anything but I my next read is going to be Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie, followed by the third in the series Last Argument of Kings. Abercrombie is a pretty impressive first time writer.

I'll also be picking up Scott Lynch's The Republic of Thieves when that comes out sometime next month (hopefully). He's another good first time fantasy author.
    Hooray! The place I work for publishes those two authors (be sure to read Joe Abercrombie's new fourth book at some point ), but I don't think the next Scott Lynch book is due out until spring 2010 at the earliest, even though Amazon.com says otherwise. I may be wrong though.

I'm reading Lavinia by Ursula LeGuin at the moment, an interesting take on one of the minor characters in Virgil's Aeneid.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

I'm constantly flicking to random pages in the Harry Potter books and its eating away a lot of my time.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medi View Post
    is that the future conspiracy novel? set in 2050?

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. It's the seventh book in a series I'm re-reading for the 8 millionth time.
    turn coat wasn't very satisfying so ill need to burn through the series again
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

100 pages into the stand.... It's a long one but i hear the last 300 pages fly by..... i sure hope so.
    The Dude Abides...

Hooray! The place I work for publishes those two authors (be sure to read Joe Abercrombie's new fourth book at some point ), but I don't think the next Scott Lynch book is due out until spring 2010 at the earliest, even though Amazon.com says otherwise. I may be wrong though.
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. I've heard several things pointing at a Spring 2010 release but the most recent I heard was sometime this year. It is a little hard to find information though, since the author doesn't update his LJ feed or his website.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Namelessfengir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    turn coat wasn't very satisfying so ill need to burn through the series again
    Turn coat?

I'm now reading the eighth Dresden, Proven Guilty.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Currently, Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anathem by Neal Stephenson. It's like learning a new language, but Stephenson makes you want to learn it. Excellent read so far.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Quote Originally Posted by Namelessfengir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medi View Post
    is that the future conspiracy novel? set in 2050?
    Oh, no. Well, it's set in 1999, which was the future when it was written in the 1980s. It deals with an alien message received by radio telescopes and the philosophical repercussions in society. It's brilliant - scientific and poetic at the same time.

Rye made this!

Currently reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. It's a heartbreaking book with a heavy air of tragedy around it as it details the futile struggle of the Native Americans against the US. Highly recommended.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Kossage View Post
    Currently reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. It's a heartbreaking book with a heavy air of tragedy around it as it details the futile struggle of the Native Americans against the US. Highly recommended.
    I have been looking for that book forever and ever. Our libraries don't have it.

I'm currently reading:

Amazon.com: Unwanted Sex: The Culture of Intimidation and the Failure of Law: Prof. Stephen J. Schulhofer: Books and

Amazon.com: Prodigal Summer: A Novel: Barbara Kingsolver: Books and Amazon.com: Sons and Lovers (Penguin Popular Classics): D.H. Lawrence: Books

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Demonwar Saga by Raymond E Feist. Good books. Nothing like what you guys are reading though.