Thread: Could you help please? :)

The Twilight Melody dragontamer's Avatar

Default Could you help please? :)

Hiya! I'm dragontamer, Gloss-Reality or Jade, depending on how i know you
    I'm an artist, training to be a character designer for either Square Enix or DICE (I'm torn between the two at the mo). I was advice by the senior designer for DICE to submit my work somewhere and to get criticism to help me improve. Well, I've done that! I just need people to criticise it now! I dont mean nasty criticism, though, just helpful comments like 'one of her limbs is too long', ect. I'll add it now, that i find it easier to draw girls than boys. Dont know why!
    If anyone has a DA account, please comment on my art! If anyone else would like to comment, please post it here with the picture's name! I would really appreciate it! (but you may not be able to view some of the images if you are not a member of DA, since they're a bit...graphic!)
    Thanks a bunch!
    G_R
    Please visit my DeviantART page! If you have an account, please leave comments on my work to help me improve my drawing! Thanks!

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I think you should forget about picking on some anime style or stuff like that, first study some human anatomy/figure and start drawing from there, only after you get good at that you can worry about your own style. Since you want to make character designs i think this is the best advice.
    Anyways you have a long way ahead..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

While I applaud you in the details you put into your art..

Overall I have to agree with Black Orb. If you have some kind of art classes that specify specifically on body and shape, you should really take those, it'll help out a lot.

Being a professional artist for any mainstream well known company is a VERY tough battle with -ALOT- of competition.

You have a general concept of light and dark and the shading provided, so I think it may be in your best interest to calm down on coloring pictures and focus your all onto perfecting the sketch before line art is put on it.

Fasion Designers use the kind of elongation (because of the elongation of the models) you seem to use alot, while it is good in some field, in most cases game artists and concept artists still have the basis of realism.

Just keep practicing and take what classes are available to you~

I commented on one of them on DA.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

The Twilight Melody dragontamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pink orb View Post
    >>> I think you should forget about picking on some anime style or stuff like that, first study some human anatomy/figure and start drawing from there, only after you get good at that you can worry about your own style. Since you want to make character designs i think this is the best advice.
    Anyways you have a long way ahead..
    Hmm. I understand your point. Forgetting all that i know will bea problem - i've bee doing this since i was seven - so i'll start doing more 'realistic' images, but I will still be doing some anime-style pics, too, since I really enjoy it!
    I have my own... idea, shall we call it, of the human anatomy, which is quite scetchy for men, but more complete for girls. When I draw, I use lines and circles to show bones and joints. I'll backtrack to that and try to build up from there.
    Yup! The road I've chosen is long, and difficult, but i will continue to strive for it!

Idealy, I'd love to join the KH projects, since the style is like anime. Also, could you look at euther of my 'beautiful butterfly' images, and tell me what is wrong with her proportions? Just overlook a wonkey eye/butt cheek/breast - that's just my inability to draw symetrically! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    While I applaud you in the details you put into your art..

Overall I have to agree with Black Orb. If you have some kind of art classes that specify specifically on body and shape, you should really take those, it'll help out a lot.

Being a professional artist for any mainstream well known company is a VERY tough battle with -ALOT- of competition.

You have a general concept of light and dark and the shading provided, so I think it may be in your best interest to calm down on coloring pictures and focus your all onto perfecting the sketch before line art is put on it.

Fasion Designers use the kind of elongation (because of the elongation of the models) you seem to use alot, while it is good in some field, in most cases game artists and concept artists still have the basis of realism.

Just keep practicing and take what classes are available to you~
    I'm taking Art for A levels, so that should help me. I upload some images onto DA soon of some initial scetchs, but i'll forewarn you that they will be female, and I'll try and get the proportions realistic. I'll worry about male muscle proportions soon!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTifa View Post
    I commented on one of them on DA.
    Thank you! And to you too, Avarice-Ness! Thank you all for your advice!
    Last edited by dragontamer; 07-03-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Please visit my DeviantART page! If you have an account, please leave comments on my work to help me improve my drawing! Thanks!