Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improvements from FFXI?

Also, for a game focused so heavily on group play, not being able to invite someone because they are not in the same zone is pretty lame. Party invitations need to be able to happen worldwide.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think they should get rid of some of the more tedious aspects of the game. Stuff like how long those airplane rides takes and how fast characters run. And the length of downtime when you die.

The agonizingly slow pace of running without enhancements really annoyed me. What would have been so bad about making all the characters run faster? Would getting from one location to the next in 1 minute rather than 5, really make the game less fun/challenging/etc?

It's just little things like this that bug me. Just seems unnecessarily tedious.

Captain obvious.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I think they should get rid of some of the more tedious aspects of the game. Stuff like how long those airplane rides takes and how fast characters run. And the length of downtime when you die.

The agonizingly slow pace of running without enhancements really annoyed me. What would have been so bad about making all the characters run faster? Would getting from one location to the next in 1 minute rather than 5, really make the game less fun/challenging/etc?

It's just little things like this that bug me. Just seems unnecessarily tedious.
    First let me say that I completely agree with you, but let me also play devil's advocate a bit. I think slow travel is one of the things that makes Vana'diel seem so absolutely huge. I think completely trivializing travel could be a serious problem and make the world feel far smaller. For the sake of familiar comparison, WoW's world is pretty darn big, but you don't feel that way. You can be any place in the game in literally 5-10 minutes tops and most in far less.

Where it really sucks in FFXI is things like boat/airship rides. Taking the boat to Aht Urghan or Nashmau is absolutely horrible. Doing the simple Dancer flag quest was unbearable and took me a couple of hours simply because of slow travel.

I don't want to lose the novelty of the travel and actually being able to see familiar land masses as you pass by, but I also don't want to be bored to tears by a 10-20 minute ride when it's completely old hat. I'd be happy if they kept things like the ships for people that like them, but allow for alternatives. What if you could simply pay an extra 500 gil instead of 200 and be instantly teleported to the same destination the boat would've taken you.

Seems like a win-win to me.

As for walking, yes, walking is unbearably slow, however, I think zoning makes this far worse. When you need to travel between parts of a city the zoning thing adds insult to to injury quite badly. I really wouldn't mind them bumping up the speed of movement across the board. I do think if they remove zoning as an issue the running won't seem so bad.

So while we're on the topic, they need to obviously make callable chocobos that are less of a chore to get and maintain. A simple advanced chocobo license type thing would be perfect. Having a chocobo whistle with limited charges is quite silly imo.

When you equip an item it should not take up inventory space in the bag because its FREAKING ON ME. I always found that ridiculous and make macroing such a big ass pain.

That and male mithras :3

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Yeah, other than the obvious of wearing something that's in your bag, they just need to rethink inventory overall. Not just in a general MMO way. FFXI (and probably FFXIV) is special with being able to level up and gear out 20 jobs on a single character. With so much Ra/Ex gear and so much situational gear they just really need to think harder about potential storage solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    When you equip an item it should not take up inventory space in the bag because its FREAKING ON ME.
    On that same subject, furniture displayed in your Mog House should not take up room in your safe. I kind of understand why they did it for equipment and your inventory, because if you just tried to take off gear instead of swap it and you didn't have space, that could cause problems. That, and the moves that some mobs have that unequip random pieces of gear.

RDM 75, PLD 65, BST 75, MNK 75, SAM 75

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only just started on 11 but I find the biggest problem is the running speeds, which sounds odd. It's not so much a game altering problem, but it's something small and ridiculous that you have to put up with throughout. I'd like to see running speeds changed depending on race to add a little realism. It'd be quite cool, I reckon. I don't think this would affect race decisions too much, but then again maybe it would. At the very least running speeds need to be about doubled to make them realistic.

Also, my knowledge of things tells me that chocobos are essentially FF horses. Horses can run about 4 times faster than humans, and I'd like to see this sort of stuff added too. It's not like it's gonna destroy people's enjoyment of the game. Compared to other chocobos, the races and stuff will remain the same.

All these changes will do is make the game a little less tedious. Just some simple logic into body sizes etc. to make the game a little more lifelike. Also, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that being able to go from one side of a city to the other in half the time is something that would have absolutely zero negative effects.

And I can see massive equipment troubles in the future. Limited home storage space is completely unnecessary. At the very least we should get more than 50 basic spaces. And everything should stack when stored at home. Everything. Also, as has been said before, if I'm wearing it, I ain't carrying it. These little things wouldn't cause any problems if they were changed, so it seems like SE put them in just to be annoying.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 07-16-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Amadeus doesn't stack either. Amadeus, Amadeus.

You do get Inventory/Safe/Storage/Locker upgrades to 80 max each later. If you purchase the Satchel then its another potential 80. But the problem isnt the space because its plenty for ONE JOB, and because you will eventually level another job that may not share the same armor, then therefore it eats up space like mad.

I have PLD, WHM, and SAM that i level, and my god the space it HURTS. None of those job share alot of common equips, and with macroing other pieces in to optimize my performance...ffffffffffffffff!

--

They should however make it so Tetra Master is playable in-game. More interactive minigames between players thats casual! Or better yet, Triple Triad. Even Bliztball or whatever. If you have a minigame thats easy to implement inside the actual game itself, and it is reminiscence of older FF Titles, it can be potentially awesome.

My Youtube Page - Full of Capcom vs SNK 2 goodness!
    Check it out Nya~! @.@
    貓..貓..Yeh! X3

Quote Originally Posted by Lionx View Post
    Bliztball
    Yes please.

Eww, personally, I really didn't care for Blitzball all that much, but I do agree that some kind of mini-game would be nice. Although, Blitzball on the PS3/PC could be more enjoyable. Right now we have the gambling tables and /random wars? Sure we have Chocobo races, but it requires sooooo much to raise a good Chocobo. Oh, and The Pit, but people rarely do that too. I suppose we have Ballista and Brenner too.

I like the card game idea, maybe a Blitzball or made-up sport, and some other stuff in FFXIV though. Not something else we have to pay extra money to have access to.

Also, something else to change. I have a friend that has ALL the cardian cards. A complete deck. We have yet to figure out what they are for, if anything. He deserves a medal or something for doing that and considering how much people love collectibles in games these days, make stuff like that worth something.

I wasn't a fan of Tetra Master, but Triple Triad was great. It would be great to have either available in game as just some fun distraction. Maybe some small reward for different levels of having a complete collection of the cards.

--

From a design standpoint I understand why certain things are limited, but while they are great for saving server space (and money) for SE, they suck for the players. Take armor set storage. I get it... if you only check for a full set it's a 1 or a 0 on their server. To add a check for each pieces and whether or not it was +1 would mean extra strain on the servers having 10 extra choices instead of 1 for a particular gear set for however many 100k accounts are active. However, it's needlessly crappy. Small things like that drive people away.

Poor some money into making the players happy and don't cut corners to save cash. It's a business model that works great for Blizzard.

By spending more on the game you'll save (or make) more money. While it may cost more to you initially, it's definitely worth it when you don't lose 100k accounts due to people getting frustrated with some silly aspect of your design limitations.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimage View Post
    Also, something else to change. I have a friend that has ALL the cardian cards. A complete deck. We have yet to figure out what they are for, if anything. He deserves a medal or something for doing that and considering how much people love collectibles in games these days, make stuff like that worth something.
    I do not believe the cardian cards serve any purpose beyond avoiding aggro. If you have a two of cups card, no two of cups cards cardians can aggro you. If he has the full deck, I believe that would mean no cardians will ever aggro him, regardless of what level he is.

He's tried that, it didn't seem to work. I think that might just have been a theory or rumor.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm intrigued with this game. The learning curve of FFXI was too much for me, and the lagging on my laptop got on my nerves, so I'm curious to see how FFXIV goes.