Thread: United States of Tara

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: United States of Tara

This is the best new show on cable, in my opinion. I just started watching it this summer with Hux, so that I'm ready for season 2 in the winter.

It's basically a dark dramedy about a mother and housewife, Tara, who suffers from DID, or Multiple Personality Disorder. She has three "alters" - a wild-child horny teenager, a beer guzzling perverted male 'Nam vet, and a prim proper 50's housewife with family making on her mind.

Though it's not explained at first, Tara goes off of her medication, which make her feel drained and lifeless, and allows her alters to come back, so that she can ravel the reason and the trauma that caused her develop DID. The show is basically about her, her alters, and how her family deals with it.

Don't be fooled though - it's not all about the alters. Her family, and even Tara herself, are equally as fantastic and hold their own on the set. Their son, Marshall, is easily one of my favorite characters in any TV show of all time.

I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard at a show before.

Anyone else a fan?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Max is a brilliant character.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Max is fantastic. He has the most subtle personality, but he's one of my favorite TV fathers of all time. His joke about "gentlemen time" made me die.

"Well then, little lady, maybe when they women have the vote, we'll discuss it... for now, me and the colonel are gonna head into the parlor for a little gentlemen's timeeee!"

I want to punch Charmaine.

Oh God, my boyfriend and I were obsessed with this show. I can't wait for season 2.

I should hate Charmaine, but I just don't. I think she has a few redeeming moments in there. It doesn't balance out her mean ones, I know, but I like her for some reason.

I really like the real Tara. I love all her alters too and all, I mean they do make the show... It's just, one thing I didn't like about Dollhouse was the character's real personality turned out to be very unlikable. With Tara, I actually root for her to be happy and such.

MY NAME IS BUCK AND I WILL smurf YOU SIDEWAYS.

I really, really cannot stand Toni Collette in any form.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

'Kay, this thread totally didn't get enough posts so I'm just gonna bump it up. I just finished the first season and loved it. I find it has the same dilemma as with Dexter; you totally want Tara to just get better already but you know that if she did then there wouldn't be a show.

The comedy is pretty great. While the laughs I get are scattered, they are definitely hearty. It's more often situations that are funny than flat out jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    "Well then, little lady, maybe when they women have the vote, we'll discuss it... for now, me and the colonel are gonna head into the parlor for a little gentlemen's timeeee!"
    Hahaha yes I died.

Apparently, the Season 2 premiere is supposed to air at March 22nd! That's in a week! I just now found this out. What a pleasant surprise!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like Toni Collete, but I was disappointed that the first season of the show wasn't as great as it could have been. Her split personalities are great and Toni really delves into them. However, many of the episodes were really short -- at least for a Showtime show. It left me feeling unsatisfied at the end of every episode.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I watched the first two episodes again on the plane back to England and I swear, I need to be making some M.O.Ts (Muffins of Triumph!!!)

I am so psyched for this to come back. Between this, Sarah Silverman, Secret Diary of a Call Girl, Adventure Time... March is good!

I really like Toni Collete too, and I've heard nothing but good things about this show.. sadly I haven't seen it yet, though.

I want to

Blog Entries

In Australia, we're being brainwashed into loving it by the popular media (because Toni Collette is Australian), but I'm not really into the show myself.

I can see why people would like it though.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

I love Toni Collette.

I was disappointed because at first I thought this was a fan thread for Tara Thorton from True Blood. I hopped on that bandwagon far too late >_> But this will give me something to watch in the mean time!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

"BALL SACCCCC!!!"

This new season is intense. I feel so bad for the adorable bartender girl; she reminds me of Kristen Chenoweth a little bit.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

The first episode was so-so, in my opinion. Haven't seen the second yet!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

It keeps improving! The latest twist with Buck is great. (SPOILER)Marshall and that girl trying to do it were so funny, It made me uncomfortable, it was awkward. XD.

YouTube - United States of Tara: Alice meets son's teacher

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Season 2 is severely oh shi- so far, I am approving of it highly.