Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are IE8 or FireFox free? (IMPORTANT to me)

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are IE8 or FireFox free? (IMPORTANT to me)

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but I need to know, if at least one of these internet explorers can be downloaded free? (and kept) - I ask because YouTube will be removing support for my browser (IE6 I think) soon, which probably means I won't be able to use YouTube anymore, and I love YouTube (and it helps me out a lot).

Please help.

Both are free but I strongly recommend Firefox

Blog Entries

Thankyou. I apreciate your answer. (releived)

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

The top four web browsers are all free and each have their pros and cons. Just go to their website, and download whichever one you want. I recommend trying a bunch out and sticking with the one you like the most. Here's my own opinion on them

IE 8: It is what you are used to, so thats a plus. But I really don't like IE, so thats all I have to say about it.

Firefox 3: The best thing about Firefox is the adaptability it has. You can download many addons such as the Furigana injector if you are learning Japanese, or the Down them all which is useful for renaming and converting filetypes as you download them in quick suggestion. (ex you want to save an online photo album). Also is open source. Also has a built in spell check whish I love. (I use Firefox so thas why it has the longest section. Yay Bias!)

Safari 4: It looks like a Mac. Thats the pro and the con.

Google Chrome: This browser is also very adaptable, and is open source as well. Additionally saying it is fast is an understatement. I only used it once, so I can't say too much about it. :/

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

IE8 isn't free you have to own a recent copy of windows

firefox has a youtube video downloader addon i put a list of four formats under the embed options so you can download the video your watching straight to your harddrive

then theres stumbleupon damn good addon

heres firefox download
    firefox at filehippo
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Quote Originally Posted by rubah View Post
    you have to own a recent copy of windows

Blog Entries

I have XP on this computer and my Laptop, my new one will have Vista I think. Are they alright?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    I have XP on this computer and my Laptop, my new one will have Vista I think. Are they alright?
    It will work fine on those

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Yeah, you'll be fine with XP or Vista. They might stop you from downloading it if you pirated Windows, but from the sounds of it your copies are legit.

Allow me also to recommend Firefox. I'd have no problem recommending the 3.6 pre alpha build, judging by how stable it's been for me. If you decide to go for Google Chrome then may I suggest getting SRWare Iron instead. If you read the EULA for Chrome, you'll notice that by installing it you're giving Google permission to access your browsing patterns etc. Iron is a build of Chrome with a more recent rendering engine and the "big brother" stuff cut out of it.

I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but I need to know, if at least one of these internet explorers can be downloaded free? (and kept) - I ask because YouTube will be removing support for my browser (IE6 I think) soon, which probably means I won't be able to use YouTube anymore, and I love YouTube (and it helps me out a lot).

Please help.
    WTF?! Jeebus! What are you doing with that ancient piece of crap?! FF kills my computer but other than that they both are free. I'd try IE8 but FF has a lot of sweet features (which, as I said, kill your comp)

Don't attempt to play L4D while having FF open. It'll lag out.
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

@tif what kind of pos you running that you get burned by firefox??? grab firetune and fix it, you can configure it for a slow computer/fast computer slow/fast connection. i rigged it to run better for dial up on xp and on my vista its set for high performance

i also have firefox portable on my external harddrive so i dont have to use ie6 and ty resolution at the library .... cant even open tabs on ie6 ..... disgraceful

It's not a pos, actually. It's a laptop and it's smurfing sweet. FF just seems to kill my comp for some reason, expecially when I try to run that and L4D at the same time
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoTifa View Post
    It's not a pos, actually. It's a laptop and it's smurfing sweet. FF just seems to kill my comp for some reason, expecially when I try to run that and L4D at the same time
    Unless you bought a gaming laptop, then I'm not surprised that L4D would kill your ability to use something else at the same time. That said, I never understand why people feel the need to have a browser window open while playing a game. If you're playing the game, then you're not really going to have time for anything else, and alt+tabbing would take a few seconds anyway.

As for which browser to get, I strongly recommend Firefox and Chrome. Firefox just has tons of cool add ons and is the most functional browser I've ever used. Chrome is a little more utilitarian, fast, and to my knowledge, one of if not the most secure browser out there.