Thread: *Your Name Here* The Soundtrack

Default *Your Name Here* The Soundtrack

Alright, this should prove to be a diverting little . . . diversion. <_< >_> It is really quite a simple little forum activity, and all it requires from participants is some sort of music-player program or device (anything with a decent-sized music library and a shuffle function) and twenty minutes or so. How it works:

Shortly in this post I will produce a list of seventeen categories, which will collectively form your “life’s soundtrack”. All you must do is copy and paste this list into your own post, and allow your music player to run through seventeen consecutive random tracks. The first track you are dealt will be your “Main theme”, and the last will be your “funeral” theme. Provide a bit of commentary to keep things interesting, as there are bound to be some absurdly inappropriate results. The categories are as follows:

Main Theme

Persona

Life

Walking Theme

Battle Theme

Comradeship

Nemesis

*Insert your name here* The Savior

*Insert your name here* The Betrayer

Inspiration

Futility

Power Trip

Ambition

Unanticipated Revelation

Pleasant Emotion

Death Theme

Funeral

I will take the honors of the first run-through:

Main Theme

“Overture” – Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Pretty decent, all things considered. Exceedingly ominous, what with the creeping vocal lines, but with an unusually forceful brass section. Seems to imply a certain dynamic quality, and a hell of a threatening one. The final section (where the strings really get going) is the real highlight; you do not impede the will of Vice Nebulosa without severe consequence, evidently. :evilking:

Persona

“Song Without Words - Second Suite in F, Op. 28, No. 2” – Gustav Holst

It is probable that no one on the forums will recognize this name, but Holst is actually a wind orchestra composer of some skill. The song itself is a woodwind dominated lament of sorts – very somber, rather sentimental – punctuated at key points with brass. It seems that my persona exudes a certain . . . tragic composure. Interesting.

Life

“Whoever Brings the Night” – Nightwish

Jesus. *_* A vicious, sordid life is mine, it seems. Judging by the lyrics, some kind of long-standing conflict with a female counterpart is probably involved, and it is not a battle over which I have dominance. Kind of . . . disconcerting, in a way. I am curious to know what such a woman would be like – ruthless and brilliant, certainly, and the type who would leave a mark upon her chosen target, even if her influence was but brief. Heavy electric guitars, a massive orchestra, and vocals that tend to range on the darker side of a pop style. All very dramatic.

Walking Theme

“Coming Back to You” – Leonard Cohen/Jennifer Warnes

Too regretful, mate. There is certainly a time and a place for it, but I almost invariably go walking in a ruminative mood, and I actively attempt to keep outright remorse at a minimum. As always with this combination of artists, there are incredibly artistic and provocative lyrics and a high quality of female vocals, but this is one of their weaker collaborations. Not particularly pleased with this one, but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. :laugh:

Battle Theme

“Prelude” – Final Fantasy X

Oh, this just fails to work on any level. Nothing more to say about it; it is an awful piece of music. F A I L. -_-

Comradeship

“Sidecar-On The Rail Bridge” – Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Cool . . . Obviously this is the sort of comradeship in which severe mutual dangers are confronted. There is little to suggest “friendship” here, but certainly the image of myself and one other person working to protect the continued survival that is clearly under threat works. All instinctive trust and savage risks taken without hesitation; all raging strings and thrumming bass. I like it.

Nemesis

“Aeon’s Theme” – Castlevania: Judgment

A bit on the odd side, but not altogether inappropriate. This soundtrack promises a good sound almost regardless of which track is being discussed, but this is admittedly one of the lesser tracks. Come to think of it, actually, perhaps it is fairly appropriate. I generally skip over this track because of its foreign, blatant major key optimism; perhaps this is the ideal theme for my “nemesis” . . .

Vice Nebulosa The Savior

“Rain” – Gackt

For those who are unfamiliar with the man, Gackt is an exceedingly popular Japanese pop/rock artist, known best here, perhaps, by his tracks “LONGING” and “REDEMPTION” from the Dirge of Cerberus soundtrack. This is unquestionably one of his lesser tracks, in my opinion, but it does communicate a certain gentle vibe which seems to be appropriate to the subject matter. Again, could be worse.

Vice Nebulosa The Betrayer

“Turned to Stone II” – Dragonball Z

You know, short and obscure though the track may be, it actually works quite well. It begins with an obvious aura of tension, and immediately kicks into an incredibly intense set of guitar/synth riffs, implying a drastic change of circumstances on a battlefield. Whoever it is that I have betrayed has just been thrown to the wolves.

Inspiration

“Dynamo” – Megaman X5

Far too much a synthetic pipe dream, not enough an expression of latent potential yet to be realized. =\ Quite “weird”, seems to be an adequate expression.

Futility

“Dream A Little of Me” – Roger Williams

An old fashioned, piano-led ballad. <_< >_> Certain sections of it might feasibly work, provided my outlook on the futility of existence at the time in question was fairly wry and “accepting”, I suppose.

Power Trip

“Cello Suite No. 4 in E-flat Major (BWV 1010) – Courante” – Bach

Another failure. -_- Unless my hypothetical lust for power includes the desire to lead a merry, vaguely Celtic-sounding dance, ‘tain’t going to fly.

Ambition

“Ending Cutscene 2” – Castlevania: Judgment

Quite good, indeed. Dramatic, as any Castlevania track must be. It has a markedly sentimental flavor, implying that certain amount of sacrifice is required for my “ambitions” to come to fruition, which is only natural. It ends on a particularly impactive note, imitating the opening chord and sound effects of a considerably more ominous track, “Dracula’s Castle”.

Unanticipated Revelation

“Bitores Mendez” – Resident Evil 4

Something preposterous and horrifying has just taken place . . . <_< >_> There seem to be actual screams taking place in the background. Most definitely a revelation of the catastrophic, lethal variety . . .

Pleasant Emotion

“Abandoned Pit” – Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

A good track in its own right, and provided that the “pleasant emotion” in question is a secret, ambitious one, it has some potential. I like it; very much an unusual take on a category that would normally connote an unusually effusive outburst of emotion. ^_^

Death Theme

“Death of Swallowtail” – Metal Gear Acid

The title certainly works, as does the overall mood – a slow and inexorable end. Bothersome is the fact that several background vocal effects were taken directly from the Mitsuda Xenosaga track “Song of Nephilim”. This cannot be tolerated (unless Mitsuda also borrowed them from some kind of sound library, but considering he had the London Symphony Orchestra to work with on Xenosaga, I doubt it).

Funeral

“Tatakau Mono Tachi ~ AC Version” – Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Who in hell decided this would make a decent pallbearer track? ~_^ Not going to happen.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Hmm, this didn't go as well as I had hoped. I plugged my full music collection in to get the least predictability possible, but what I ended up was neither right on, nor incredibly inappropriate, mostly just unrelated to the concept. Which disappointed me a little. Maybe I'll do it over. xD

Main Theme: Jimmy Smith - TNT
    Wow, I haven't listened to Jimmy Smith in forever. Well, I guess I have an upbeat and somewhat fast-paced life to look forward to? This is pretty far from what I'd pick normally.

Persona: Bob Dylan - Most Likely You'll Go Your Way (and I'll go mine)
    I guess this is pretty apathetic, a que sera sera way of being. Which is somewhat appropriate, I guess. I don't know.

Life: Gösta Linderholm - När Morgonen Gryr
    Hahahahahahaha. This is a Swedish "summer song", ultimate sap. I don't like this song that much, but it has a life-affirmative tone that I suppose is good.

Walking Theme: Klaxons - My Love
    A cover of the Justin Timberlake song. This will be weird to walk to, it's sort of arrhythmic.

Battle Theme: Tom Waits - Lord I've Been Changed
    xD maybe not.

Comradeship: Bat For Lashes - I Saw a Light
    I don't know what to say about this. It's sort of morbid for a comradeship theme.

Nemesis: Electric Touch - Love In Our Hearts
    Oh dear, it's one of those villains who make their entrance to a rock song... With a love theme. x)

Rantzien The Savior: The Shins - Young Pilgrims
    I love this song to bits, but I'm not sure if it's very appropriate for this as it has a sort of suicidal thing to it.

Rantzien The Betrayer: Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street
    Another Bob Dylan song... I guess it's sort of about someone two-faced.

Inspiration: Mogwai - Scotland's Shame

Futility: The Carter Family - Break My Mind
    Hahaha, country. Fantastic. This isn't going too well, is it?

Power Trip: Queen - Innuendo
    Yes! Queen for Power Trip. Finally something fitting! The song could have been more carefully chosen, but for artist it's pretty appropriate.

Ambition: Ravens & Chimes - So Long Marianne
    Not a big fan of this cover. I'm not sure it reflects Ambition very well, either.

Unanticipated Revelation: Metallica - Prince Charming
    I should've gotten this for Nemesis, really.

Pleasant Emotion: Architecture in Helsinki - Do the Whirlwind
    At first I got the very same song I got for Persona for this, so I gave it another press for variance. Um, sure, this song is pretty pleasant? xD More motley, though.

Death Theme: Neil Young - Transformer Man
    It's certainly low-key enough. The lyrics are pretty far out, though.

Funeral: Cornelis Vreeswijk - Och Skulle det så Vara
    Heh. More Swedish music. Not terribly inappropriate, but not exactly funeral material either.

Ohh, I love these things. =D

Main Theme
    Show me how to live - Audioslave
    That's odd, but Audioslave is cool, so I won't complain I guess. o.O

Persona
    Shinedown - 45
    That's a very sad persona. O.o

Life
    Sick Puppies - You're Going Down
    OMG, LIFE IS A FIGHT! D:

Walking Theme
    Theory of a Deadman - Since You've Been Gone
    Aww, I walk with a sad face and my head down. ):

Battle Theme
    Shinedown - Sound of Madness
    YES, I KICK YOUR ASS, SEE?

Comradeship
    Theory of a Deadman - Hello Lonely
    Gawd, my friends all abandoned me. D:

Nemesis
    Incubus - Love Hurts
    It must be an ex-boyfriend or something. o.O

Nikki The Savior
    Theory of a Deadman - Heaven (Little by Little)
    Awww, how sweet and ironic. =D

Nikki The Betrayer
    Mudvayne - Scarlet Letters
    OMG, that's weird, but slightly accurate. D:

Inspiration
    Staind - All I Want
    Awwww, it's talking about Willbear. =D

Futility
    Papercut Massacre - Left for Dead
    Wow, that's some serious stuff. o.O

Power Trip
    Lacuna Coil - Spellbound
    That's definitely a trip, alright. ;3

Ambition
    Theory of a Deadman - Make up your Mind
    Hm... I seem to have a lot of TOAD on here. /:

Unanticipated Revelation
    Theory of a Deadman - All or Nothing
    Awww, I love that song... and it's very pleasantly mine and Will's song. =D

Pleasant Emotion
    Shinedown - Devour
    I wouldn't say it's so pleasant. o.O

Death Theme
    Theory of a Deadman - Say I'm Sorry
    Haha, I would apologize for dying or something. XD

Funeral
    Shinedown - Call Me
    Huh... that fits I suppose. I really like that song. (My existance has been lonely and sad?)

This looks fun.

Main Theme
    "Happy" by Mudvayne

Persona

"Ballybay" by The Prodigals

Life

"Lucretia My Reflection" by Alkaline Trio

Walking Theme

"The Little Things" by Linkin Park

Battle Theme

"I Hate Everything About You" by Three Days Grace

Comradeship

" You Blew Me Off" by Bare Jr.

Nemesis

"Mein Teil" by Rammstein (I'm pleased with this one)

Nika The Savior

"Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle" by Nirvana

Nika The Betrayer

"Vanishing" by A Perfect Circle

Inspiration

"Dumb" by Nirvana

Futility

"Deer Dance" by System of a Down

Power Trip

" Vermillion Pt. 2 (Bloodstone Mix)" by Slipknot

Ambition

"Bella's Lullaby" by Carter Burwell (Twilight Soundtrack)

Unanticipated Revelation

"Rock is Dead" by Marilyn Manson

Pleasant Emotion

"Trash" by Korn

Death Theme

"Tainted Love" by Marilyn Manson

Funeral

"Moving On" by Sixpence None the Richer
    Last edited by aJaguarinRed; 07-21-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Main Theme
    Staring At The Sun - U2

Not a song I've listened too much but not a bad tune to have for a main theme. The lyrics seem describe a dreamer floating through life, Shattered Dreamer, I suppose it fits

Persona
    Cold Day In The Sun - Foo Fighters

A happy song about getting what you want out of life. Not really a good description of my persona but made me laugh all the same

Life
    Dance Inside - All-American Rejects

A song about a girl being stuck in a guy head, he wants her but things keep getting in the way. Yeah sounds like part of my life anyway

Walking Theme

Wounds - InMe

The kind of sound that if you listened to it while you were walking you'd look dead pumped, like your walking with purpose. Not a bad walking theme.

Battle Theme
    No One Knows - Queens Of The Stone Age

The kind of song you could start a revolution too

Comradeship
    Year Zero - 30 Seconds To Mars

One of my list favorite 30STM songs but the line "We'll never fade away" good motto for comradeship I reckon.

Nemesis
    DOA - Foo Fighters

"It's a shame we have to die my dear, no ones getting out of here alive" the sort of thing you'd utter towards your Nemesis for sure.

Shattered Dreamer The Savior
    I Hate Myself For Losing You - Kelly Clarkson

This sound has an air of its time to make things right. Sounds like something a savior would do.

Shattered Dreamer The Betrayer
    Innocence - Seether

"I broke a promise love, and now I'm less of a man" sounds like betrayal to me!

Inspiration
    Cake (Who $h1t On The ?) - Desert Sessions

I can't say this song inspires me but what a terrible waste of cake!

Futility
    Rain - The Wreckers

"You need to give up, I can't believe anything you say" yep thats definitely futility.

Power Trip
    Obsession - The Subways

Meh why are The Subways on my ipod

Ambition
    I Can't Be With You - The Cranberries

If your ambitious about relationships that go nowhere this might work!

Unanticipated Revelation
    Distraction - Angels and Airwaves

I suppose this song could work here at least in a wow who's that chicks oh my god it insert the name of a chick you previously thought was a minger kinda way!

Pleasant Emotion
    Pig - Weezer

A happy memories song sweet

Death Theme
    Until We Fall - Audioslave

This song create the dying after saving the world from the apocalypse kinda death scene in my head.

Funeral
    Power To The People - John Lennon

If you died saying the world from the apocalypse thus saving all humanity this could work otherwise, serious lol