Thread: Character Spotlight: Squall

Default Character Spotlight: Squall

He wields gunblade and he doesn´t care that much what is happening, he just do what he is told to do. First he is like this but then he falls in love and changes rapidly to desperate guy in love.

To Squall is nothing special, I don´t hate him but I´m not his fan. There are better characters in VIII like Laguna, Seifer and lol Selphie ( okay she is just somehow appealing but Squall has better storyline) .

What do you think about this gunblade wielding maniac?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Squall is the ! I think the scar is a bit much on the designer's part, trying too hard to make him look like a badass, but he's still a badass. Probably the most bearable character in VIII, to me anyways.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well I think anyone who knows me, knows that Squall is my favorite FF character ever. I had a Squall like phase sometime before I played FFVIII (around about the time I was replaying FFVII) in that I felt I was on my own, and I acted like it was expected of me. I related to Squall as character, even though I quickly realized that my problems where nothing compared to his, his story still spoke to me as the most realistic background and development that a fantasy character could have. I found him a very likeable and believable character, he isn't as self-centred as he appears at first, he genuinely cares about his team, as evidenced by his thoughts, but he is so used to being alone, he refuse to accept them as friends, so beautiful in sad way.

His change I thought was handled brilliantly, mostly because it wasn't a change, but rather a revert into how he was at first, he'd always had the potential to be a more open person, he just never has the opportunity, everyone saw the impression he gave them and thought they knew him, again something I related to. I also thought his relationship with Rinoa (another favorite) was beautifully done, I thought these to made such an obvious paring even before they where a couple, and when they where I was hoping that they would stay that way (I’m a romance fan, what can I say). I find Squall and Rinoa to be the most realistically developed couple in the Final Fantasy series (I find Cloud and Tifa to be the most realistically produced couple if that makes sense - infact, are Cloud and Tifa a couple or not?)

Basically Squall is in my opinion an excellent character, in an excellent game. By the way, I've been meaning to ask: is it strange that my favorite ever Final Fantasy Character is from Final Fantasy VIII and yet my favorite FF is Final Fantasy VII (VIII is my second though), just wondering if that's ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian XIII View Post
    Squall is the ! I think the scar is a bit much on the designer's part, trying too hard to make him look like a badass, but he's still a badass. Probably the most bearable character in VIII, to me anyways.
    Actually Nomura gave him the scar because he wanted to make him more memorable/unique like Cloud and his hair.

I can relate to Squall quite a bit and he is the best case of character development I have ever seen. I'm with MJN SEIFER in that he would be my favourite FF character. Possibly even favourite fictional character.

Plus the gunblade is cool.

Anybody that knows me knows that if I could magically turn 2 video game guys into real life guys and make them my boyfriend, those 2 guys would be Squall and Link. <3 He's like the description of my dream man (though, I wished he would have a sense of humor :\ )
    Oh gods, why? ಥ_ಥ

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Well I think anyone who knows me, knows that Squall is my favorite FF character ever. I had a Squall like phase sometime before I played FFVIII (around about the time I was replaying FFVII) in that I felt I was on my own, and I acted like it was expected of me. I related to Squall as character, even though I quickly realized that my problems where nothing compared to his, his story still spoke to me as the most realistic background and development that a fantasy character could have. I found him a very likeable and believable character, he isn't as self-centred as he appears at first, he genuinely cares about his team, as evidenced by his thoughts, but he is so used to being alone, he refuse to accept them as friends, so beautiful in sad way.

His change I thought was handled brilliantly, mostly because it wasn't a change, but rather a revert into how he was at first, he'd always had the potential to be a more open person, he just never has the opportunity, everyone saw the impression he gave them and thought they knew him, again something I related to. I also thought his relationship with Rinoa (another favorite) was beautifully done, I thought these to made such an obvious paring even before they where a couple, and when they where I was hoping that they would stay that way (I’m a romance fan, what can I say). I find Squall and Rinoa to be the most realistically developed couple in the Final Fantasy series (I find Cloud and Tifa to be the most realistically produced couple if that makes sense - infact, are Cloud and Tifa a couple or not?)

Basically Squall is in my opinion an excellent character, in an excellent game. By the way, I've been meaning to ask: is it strange that my favorite ever Final Fantasy Character is from Final Fantasy VIII and yet my favorite FF is Final Fantasy VII (VIII is my second though), just wondering if that's ok?
    I agree on most of those points.

And, no, it's not strange. There is more to a game than character, and FFVIII falls to FFVII on multiple other points. Further, I feel FFVII had a greater number of good characters. While the excellent characters in VIII may have been better than the best VII had to offer, I feel in general that VII had more quality characters than VIII did.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian XIII View Post
    Actually Nomura gave him the scar because he wanted to make him more memorable/unique like Cloud and his hair.
    Ohhhh, that makes sense! Take backs!

I just decided to make this thread but then I saw I already had done one but I have no memory about it. Have I been equipped with GF or just drinking too much beer?

Anyway I was watching yesterday VIII videos and man I want to play this game again soon. Maybe I can this time appreciate this game and its characters like Squall.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I like MJN Seifers post. The character development with Squall was terrific, and I never got bored reading lines of what he had to say. I'm on the same boat as many here, by out and far my favourite FF character.

Str8 Pimpin'

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He has a high & stable salary plus an awesome career. A 10/10 guy that deserve a mistress!