Thread: Valkyria Chronicles 2 Announced!

Default Valkyria Chronicles 2 Announced!

Valkyria Chronicles 2 Is A PSP Game - Valkyria chronicles 2 - Kotaku

For PSP unfortunately. Still, better than nothing, right?

Hide your wallet The Shoeless Hobo's Avatar

The first game was brilliant.

The first game is easily the best RPG this gen. Shame it didn't sell enough copies to warrant a HD sequel. I can still see Valkyria Chronicles working well on the PSP though.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Maybe I should actually complete the first one. I liked it, but somehow I didn't get around to finish it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think a PSP version is a fantastic idea since it'll allow them to expand on the mythology and try out more ideas with the battle concept, without having to produce a full fledged sequel. When it comes time to release another home console version, they'll have all the tools they need, plus better audio/visual since they waited, and it'll be something really worth buying new, as opposed to something that just could have been done w/ DLC.

The original is one of my favorite games this gen - it continually surprised me w/ both story and gameplay and I'm really glad it's being made into a franchise.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a spin-off but rather a fully fledged sequel to the first game. Whether we will see another home console version is still up in the air.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Whether we ever see it come out in English is still up in the air as well. There are other Sega sequels already out in Japan that have a higher demand for them than I imagine Valkyria Chronicles will, and they all seem just as unlikely to get localized with any speed.

At least on the PSP it'll be easier to import.

It looks like this one is going to focus on the actual army, rather than a civilian militia. Should be a nice change of perspective, but school settings in anime put me off.

All that said, I'm looking forward to Sakura Taisen that's coming out in English for PS2 and Wii later this year. From what I understand a lot of Valkyria's spirit comes from there, so VC fans may be interested in checking that out too.

edit: Actually, mentioning Sakura Taisen gives me hope that we'll see Valkyria 2 even if Sega doesn't bring it over. NIS is bringing Sakura over--not Sega. Atlus is bringing over Shiren the Wanderer 3--not Sega. There are a bunch of other games made by Japanese-companies-with-a-western-presence that are not localized by their foreign counterparts. And Valkyria Chronicles lines up with what most of 'those guys' tend to license.
    Last edited by JKTrix; 07-16-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ great, if only we could get that to happen with Yakuza 3.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

That's the 'other high-demand Sega sequel that's already out in Japan' I was alluding to, yes :P I think it's unlikely for any other company to try and bring that over though. The platform, market appeal and potential localization costs are all in favour of Valkyria 2, despite there likely being more hardcore demand for Yakuza.

The First Valkyria Chronicles 2 Screens
    Heres the first few screens of the game. Looks damn near identical to the first game with the obvious graphical downgrade of course. Although there is nothing wrong with more of the same when the first game was so good.

And I think its best if we don't mention Yakuza 3. It'll only end in tears.

VC was an absolute cracker of a game. Fair play to Sega for doing this. It's fairly brave in this market. I still can't believe the first one was basically ignored by most gamers. Quality game.
    I will never be a memory.