Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we gonna have to pay to play this time??

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    As has been discussed elsewhere in this thread, as long as you play your MMORPG for a decent amount of time each month, it's potentially the cheapest entertainment you'll get from a video game.
    This is always the biggest one for me. Most people just say from the start they don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee. I admit I felt the same way nearly a decade ago. Once you get past that and try the game rather that refuse it on principle, you may find you either really like that style of gaming or don't.

If you're a person that ends up enjoying MMOs you'll probably find yourself make the same mental comparison between prices you spend in a month for going to the movies, going out to eat, buying offline games, <insert random entertainment here>.

I'd just suggest that no one refrain from playing an MMO simply because of the idea of the pay per month. Obviously if it puts you in financial distress don't, but if it's just on principle maybe you try it out before saying no.

Originally Posted by Yeargdribble ^
    This is always the biggest one for me. Most people just say from the start they don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee. I admit I felt the same way nearly a decade ago. Once you get past that and try the game rather that refuse it on principle, you may find you either really like that style of gaming or don't.

If you're a person that ends up enjoying MMOs you'll probably find yourself make the same mental comparison between prices you spend in a month for going to the movies, going out to eat, buying offline games, .

I'd just suggest that no one refrain from playing an MMO simply because of the idea of the pay per month. Obviously if it puts you in financial distress don't, but if it's just on principle maybe you try it out before saying no.
    Your right, people should rather try the game before saying no just because you have to pay to play, Im guilty of that myself, I would like to actually try XI sometime and XIV ill probly do the same. you guys have sort of helped me see this topic on another view of it, and your right... Sorry to have offended anyone here, but thanks aswell to helping me understand better too.

Nah, you weren't offensive at all. I should apologize for being so quick to pigeon-hole your argument. That comes as a result of having heard the "it's too expensive" argument so many times when in reality it's not.

Personal anecdote for what it's worth... My wife and I have actually saved a lot of money since starting to play MMOs. When you get bored less often you're less likely to go spend money on random entertainment on a whim.

i wanna graduate soon and get a steady job to be able to play this one... i've been a fan since i can remember... I WANNA GET A FREAKIN' JOB!!!! T_T waaaaaaaaa i'm already drooling from the thought of an online ff....
    I NEED SIG. I NEED SIG.
    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME? I'LLGIVE ALL MY LOVIN' TO THEE IF YOU GIVE ME. SIG. PLS??????
    :mog: :mog:

(SPOILER)PEE KA BOO!

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I can definitely see payment being a problem for the younger generation. I know I had this problem with FFXI. It only took me a week after I got my first job to get FFXI, and that's only because it took a while before I got a credit card.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

FFXI is a significantly cheaper alternative to me. The year and a half I didn't play Final Fantasy XI saw me purchase nearly $2,000 worth of video games. Granted, that's the total value of everything I purchased. I avoided spending anywhere near that by utilizing trade-ins and such, but it basically wiped out all the money I'd received as gifts from high school graduation!

Not to be a douche (more than I already have been), but I wouldn't mind if younger people had more trouble playing. Little 13 year-old brats are a large part of what spoiled WoW for me so much. I would love if a game had 18+ servers that required verification. Sure a few kids would slip through on their dad's account or something, but at least it would be minimized.

That's what drives so many people to RP servers. It's not that they want to RP, but that RP servers are kryptonite to little boys with fragile egos because they are so uncool.

Before some tween comes in here and goes off on me, I'll say that not all kids are like this. I played with a very talented 14 year-old in WoW. His prepubescent voice was mildly annoying over vent, but he also didn't whine with it and was a great player.

The small, but vocal minority always seems loudest.

So yeah, for me, I'd rather never have to play with teens at all.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    It costs them money to maintain the bandwidth you need to play. So I imagine probably
    Thread over.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I wish it wasnt but of course you're going to have to pay monthly fees for a good MMO. They're just too expensive for me. I can barely afford one game a year, food, and transportation let alone with paying a retail price for a game along with a monthly fee. They're just too expensive.

Originally posted by Yeargdribble ^
    Not to be a douche (more than I already have been), but I wouldn't mind if younger people had more trouble playing. Little 13 year-old brats are a large part of what spoiled WoW for me so much. I would love if a game had 18+ servers that required verification. Sure a few kids would slip through on their dad's account or something, but at least it would be minimized.

That's what drives so many people to RP servers. It's not that they want to RP, but that RP servers are kryptonite to little boys with fragile egos because they are so uncool.

Before some tween comes in here and goes off on me, I'll say that not all kids are like this. I played with a very talented 14 year-old in WoW. His prepubescent voice was mildly annoying over vent, but he also didn't whine with it and was a great player.

The small, but vocal minority always seems loudest.

So yeah, for me, I'd rather never have to play with teens at all.
    Lol, I know what you mean, I wish thatd theyd make servers like that too, the 13 year olds whining over a mic on anygame is annoying. But there is that very few that arent so bad.

Well, we'll know when it's released
    Before that...I have to save up money for PS3 for the XIII and XIII Versus first><

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Even free MMOs will have you paying (probably equal to a little more even) every second or third month for the VERY beneficial cash shop items (Using GE as an example: Getting into the easy leveling areas, Double Stance/Level EXP, getting a larger Warp Save space to skew walking, Unlocking unique (not overwpowering) characters like Vincente Rio).

Currently Maple Story is the biggest Cash Shop entity around the internet, hosting rather pricey items that only give required benefits at certain times (and more expensive versions that last even longer during those times), the required pet system and a bunch of, month lasting clothing that though extremely popular is absolutely useless.

You'll find p2p isn't actually that much compared to other "Free" MMOs.

Delay of gratification is the name of the game unfortunately. I am glad you saw the reasons for the monthly cost and the implications that are inherent with such an undertaking with games such as FFXIV. I think the SE team working on FFXIV is being paid in advance of projected profits of the game actually. So SE has to recover those pay check amounts in this endeavor. Think of it as making a movie. If the movie does well in the box offices all debt gets taken care of and then the profit comes in. However, if the movie tanks (Spirits Within as a perfect example) it creates significant losses and those pay checks that went to the actors/actresses are not recovered. Creates a nice massive hole in the monetary budget overall.

Hope that makes sense.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Final Fantasy XIV Core - Final Fantasy XIV Fansite
    FFXIVCore.com on Twitter
    FFXIVCore.com on Facebook
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the brightside, the more money Square make, the better results we can see for future gaming.

Oh wait, more FF7 milking.

Nevermind, I take back what I said.

I can accept paying the monthly fee. I just wish my job payed me to do so.