Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't talk underwater. Or can you?

Blog Entries

Maybe the blood is actually billons of red microscopic pyreflies
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

The most likely explanation to me is that the Sahagin wasn't a fiend, it was an animal. We know that there are animals in Spira. There's a polar bear skin rug in the Macalania travel agency, for example, and I would guess that they are used for meat purposes as well (pyreflies being inedible). I would guess that animals aren't usually as agressive as we would expect, being overshadowed by the massive amount of fiends. So that Sahagin may have been an actual creature. Why it looked like a fiend and worked with them, however, could use a bit more explanation.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Yes, but fiends aren't supposed to bleed. They just dissolve into pyreflies when vanquished. So why does that particular one bleed?
    he wasent vanquished only injuered. and mabey hes jsut a big fish monster who ate a lot of feinds and thats were the pyreflies come from when you kill him

Quote Originally Posted by Darkswordofchaos View Post
    Yes, but fiends aren't supposed to bleed. They just dissolve into pyreflies when vanquished. So why does that particular one bleed?
    he wasent vanquished only injuered. and mabey hes jsut a big fish monster who ate a lot of feinds and thats were the pyreflies come from when you kill him
    You don't kill that one. Geosgaeno chomps it, throws it away, and we never see it again. And fiends don't seem to bleed when injured either.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I guess because using hand gestures is easier to do in any sort of conversation, underwater or not. I read that over 75% of human conversation is done through gestures, and not through words, or something.

Blog Entries

Maybe fiends bleed when attacked by other fiends
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    I guess because using hand gestures is easier to do in any sort of conversation, underwater or not. I read that over 75% of human conversation is done through gestures, and not through words, or something.
    In the Internet era? Not likely.

In the Internet era? Not likely.
    Yah, now we use fancy fonts, bold face, strategically implemented italics, quotation marks, and smiley’s.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I started a new FFX game (forgot to give Oaka his money on my last playthrough, so have to start over), and I noticed that Tidus says "Whoa" underwater during the sequence with Geosgaeno. Yet everywhere else in the game, characters communicate with gestures and hand signals underwater (and the hilarious soundless underwater laugh). The question is, why, when they can speak underwater with no distortion?
    You can shout "whoa" or whatever underwater quite easily. Also, Wakka yells "Yuna, we'll save you!" or something during the Moonflow incident, but it's very muffled by the water.

Talking underwater is a waste of valuable oxygen, especially when you've got to stay under for several minutes at a time to be a pro blitzballer.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Body-language (including hand gestures, stance, etc.) conveys more meaning in a conversation than actual words do. I think that's what you were thinking of, but I'm not sure what kind of percentage is on that.

But the internet is obviously not inclusive of this, as nobody speaks or is seen. Words are words; it's up to the reader to put the meaning into them then.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post

Talking underwater is a waste of valuable oxygen, especially when you've got to stay under for several minutes at a time to be a pro blitzballer.
    I dont think you could play a 10+ min sports game under water in one breath witch leads to the question, Can they Breathe under water?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I think they use something called "suspension of belief" in order to play blitzball. I'm sure they said that they hold their breathe for the entire 5 minute half, but I find it hard to believe they could hold it while being tackled so hard.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

They cannot breathe underwater. They hold their breath during the match (the Aurochs mention this when Tidus first lands on Besaid and Yuna says she's training for it in Eternal Calm/Another Story). The pyreflies in the water make it possible to function the way the players do while holding their breath.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Darkswordofchaos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post

I dont think you could play a 10+ min sports game under water in one breath witch leads to the question, Can they Breathe under water?
    Blitz is five minutes per side - at the very limits of human endurance, but there's also the theoretical possibility that they can surface whenever they *really* need to breathe.

Of course, the crew stays underwater a very long time during in-game sequences too - Tidus and Rikku at the excavation site, for instance. But in those cases, I think we're to assume they're not "really" cut off from air the entire time. Just like they can walk for hours without getting tired or needing to take a whiz.

They definitely can't breathe underwater, though. Some of the Besaid Aurochs mention holding their breath, and in the 'Another Story' video, Yuna's training to get better at it, reaching a 'new record' of 2 minutes 41.

Blog Entries

Or like how they can leap 10 meters into the air for overdrives but cant seem to clear the smallest ledges outside battle
    Have a nice day!!