Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't talk underwater. Or can you?

Can't talk underwater. Or can you?

I started a new FFX game (forgot to give Oaka his money on my last playthrough, so have to start over), and I noticed that Tidus says "Whoa" underwater during the sequence with Geosgaeno. Yet everywhere else in the game, characters communicate with gestures and hand signals underwater (and the hilarious soundless underwater laugh). The question is, why, when they can speak underwater with no distortion?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

It makes their lives seem just a little more exciting, a little more worthwhile.

Blog Entries

Maybe theres a difference depending on salt water vs fresh water.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Maybe over 1000 years people forgot they could speak underwater. Tidus just went along with it.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Maybe it was because it was only one syllable, that he could talk unimpeded?

it was a short exhalation of air.... it wasn't a speech just whoa..... its like he's a blonde neo
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think we may have heard his thoughts, since he is the narrator
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

when he narrates his speech is italicized.... just stick your head underwater and see what words you can say
    I like chocolate!! No matter what flavor you get, you can always taste the broken dreams!

~Dead people should stay dead, otherwise whats the point of killing them???

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He said "whoa!" and then after the fight in the cutscene when he gets inside the temple he is there gasping also he immediately puts his hands to his mouth it was just an impulsive reaction to declare whoa it was probably more in a closed mouth speaking in your throat thing but that was the first fiend he saw in Spira apart from some minor Sin Scales.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'm pretty sure I can say "Whoa!" underwater. It's not perfectly audible, but we would've complained if we didn't understand what he said.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    He said "whoa!" and then after the fight in the cutscene when he gets inside the temple he is there gasping also he immediately puts his hands to his mouth it was just an impulsive reaction to declare whoa it was probably more in a closed mouth speaking in your throat thing but that was the first fiend he saw in Spira apart from some minor Sin Scales.

he'd seen feinds before in zanarkand
    but i think it was because whoa isnt a word somuch as a sound

It's just a bit of incongruity, that's all. Nowhere else in the game do characters talk. And not only does he, he does it without distortion. It's not as though it adds a ton to the scene.

As another note, why is the Sahagin in that scene the only fiend we see who bleeds?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

It's probably to do with the game's rating. If fiends bled every time they were attacked the characters would be wading through pools of monster plasma. I don't think they could have that and get away with an 11+ rating.

Yes, but fiends aren't supposed to bleed. They just dissolve into pyreflies when vanquished. So why does that particular one bleed?

Maybe it felt special so it decided it would bleed.