Thread: Evo 2009

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Evo 2009

Did anyone watch it about a couple of days ago?

I just watched Sunday's tourneys and it felt great to watch an event specifically catered to gaming fans. I loved the commentary and most of the matches. I saw the Blaze Blue, MVC2, and SFIV. MVC2 was a little broing since only about five different characters were played.
    My video kept on skipping so I didn't watch much of BB, but I caught a lot of the SFIV tournament. That tournament was great. I was surprised that Sanford picked (SPOILER)Cammy and a lot of other things. If you happened to miss it you can find most of the videos from it on youtube.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I watched some of the highlight matches live. Those final matches with Wong and Daigo were pretty freaking epic. I just wish the video quality would have been better for me. It lagged a lot. Either way, it was cool.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

(SPOILER)Did you like how the crowd was rooting USA during one of those matches?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Well, Justin Wong was doing really well, too.

Did you watch how Daigo was playing? It looked as if he was playing a piano!

(SPOILER)Daigo, yet again, trumps Justin Wong.

My friend went to Evo, he didn't win anything though.
    Last edited by Dolentrean; 07-21-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Spoiler tags around that Dolentrean.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    MVC2 was a little broing since only about five different characters were played.
    That's competitive MvC2, in a nutshell.

My video kept on skipping so I didn't watch much of BB
    You could have blinked and missed BlazBlue, it didn't last much longer than 5 minutes. One Noel player utterly decimated the 5 or 6 people he played against. It was over quick. They had it designated as an 'Exhibition' match, just for show, so I don't think that player actually won anything (as opposed to the $7,000 that was up for SF4).

I was surprised that Sanford picked (SPOILER)Cammy and a lot of other things.
    He was playing against 'Dan from Japan', who is seen as Daigo's sparring partner. Thing about Japan is, they play on the arcades. Cammy is a console-only character. Sanford did that on purpose, knowing Dan didn't have a lot (or any) experience against Cammy, and Cammy has a couple of moves you can exploit if your opponent doesn't know how to deal with them. Dan was definitely learning fast though, but a single match is just not enough time to truly overcome someone who is skilled with her. Sanford later said he would use Seth--another only-playable-on-console character--against Daigo. Trying to go for their lack of experience.

There were some great matches all weekend, some people I saw on Friday and Saturday who were unfortunately eliminated definitely had some real skill. Evo is usually a good show, and when Wong and Justin meet up it's usually an entertaining fight. I think this was the first time Justin was so successful against Daigo. There was a bit of international trash talk from both sides of that match.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Were there any Vipers at evo? Links?

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I think I would recommend you sign up for IGN Insider if you can spend the money. They have all of the fights there in high quality, and for much cheaper than the eventual Evo DVD that will come out (plus the videos are there *now*, you don't have to wait). There were C. Vipers. I saw them live, haven't looked around for any other videos.