Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EoFF RPG Maker Collab

Of those three I would say the second one offers the most due to being able to have fun with time travel. Always nice to have things from the past affect things from the future and all that (anything from land deformation to one nation being very friendly until the party accidentally changes that so the next party farther in the future has to deal with a totalitarian government). I mean sure you could have a parties actions affect another parties within the same world or along different planets, but I feel that you could effectively avoid the feeling of backtracking thanks to time travel allowing you to change things so much (eg. Party A travels through a forest, villain/party triggers an earthquake and scorches the forest and earth [preventing Party A from turning back on thier quest], than Party B just sees the area as a barren wasteland with a bridge having been constructed over the crevice formed from the earhquake).\\

Just some musings.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Running with qwerty's idea-

- They are all in the same world at the same time.
    - They are all in the same world at different time periods.
    - They are all on different planets at the same time (but because they are in different worlds, this can explain why somewhere could be at medieval level, somewhere could be sci-fi, somewhere else could have Elves and Orcs and other fantasy things, etc)

You could still have the same main character for any of these ideas too, with a "he's journeying around the world/universe/through time" thing.
    Sounds good. I especially like same world at different time periods ala Chrono Trigger. You could have one main villain but a hero in each time zone with the villain trying to change history in order to become super powerful. Just a suggestion

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Time travel would be very possible and straightforward using the RPG Maker Engine, however it would take a long time to make.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, it could be cool to have maps that others remix for their parts. Though I wouldn't want to limit ourselves strictly to that. Maybe just like a hub world or set area that gets passed around, but everyone is open to branch off and do their own thing off of it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah I think I like the idea of a hub. I'm not so sure if I want to be restricted by other people's work.

I also think that we probably shouldn't discuss this openly on EoFF anymore because that is, I assume, the intended audience. Spoilers abound! We should figure out who is willing and able to actually make chapters/episodes then make some SUPAR SEKRIT FORAM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I could probably make a few maps or something for this, not during the fall because of applications or around AP testing time, but I can see myself doin' something to help out.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Count me in, totally.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    RPG 2k3 is better than 2k imho. The biggest issue is you need to make character battle sprites. However the battling can actually get sorta... fun, unlike 2k which just feels horrible at every second you battle.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    Random Encounters are pretty horrible either way. The way I see it, sideways battling doesn't make up for not being able to freely choose what your party members are going to look like.
    I actually disagree. While lots of people may find "random encounters" to be a pain, an enjoyable battlesystem is still essential for an RPG to be truely enjoyable. Without any challenge and the possibility of getting "game over", the gameplay will suffer horribly. Thus, battles are necessary (for an RPG made in RPG maker anyways). Yes, random encounters are often just a pain but well made "boss battles" can be totally epic. The sideview system, while still pretty plain and boring if you just use the pre-made moves/characters/monsters, is still at least 10 freaking times more fun than the system in 2k. There are a whole lot of things that both systems lack and that can only be fixed with advanced scripting, but by making a "balanced" stat-build along with well thought out moves, it should be entierly possible to make the battles an enjoyable experience.

Yes, the main issue still remains: the sprites. But unless you want hyper-advanced and well-looking character animations, it shouldn't be that bad, right? I mean... if you want a penguin as a battler, just look for some small, good-looking penguin sprite and make some edits on it for the different required battle animations.

I'll admit though, making sprites and such is not my kind of thing, so I might be wrong and it might not be worth the effort and way too much of a pain to make a few animated battlers, but...

...if you people somehow end up using the sideview system, I'll gladly work on "battle planning, balancing" and "possible moves" to make the battles as enjoyable as possible. If you'll stick with the frontview system, I'll pass on that job though, as it's impossible to make those battles entertaining.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

tbh I don't really see the combat system being worth worrying over too much in this. At least for me it was always more fun coding in minigames, puzzles and dungeons than battles, and if BAoTW is any indication, Psy's the same.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    tbh I don't really see the combat system being worth worrying over too much in this. At least for me it was always more fun coding in minigames, puzzles and dungeons than battles, and if BAoTW is any indication, Psy's the same.
    Well, I guess the battle system's just important to some, and of no importance at all to others. But to me, battles can totally make or break almost any RPG.

If an RPG has a bad battlesystem, it might as well not have battles at all. If the RPG doesn't have battles, my standards for every other aspect of the game are almost doubled. In most RPGs, the battles = the "gameplay". If battles are missing, or just plain suck, the RPG must make up for it with either a story that must be extremely entertaining and never boring, or the "minigames" must be entertaining enough AND happen at a frequent enough basis that they can basically replace the battles.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Well, honestly, I don't think it would be too much trouble to make battle sprites as I guess you could just use the same ones that you use for side view, and maybe give them a sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeby
    mm-hmm.

But if anyone actually enjoys planning out the balancing of the combat system, I can't see the harm in them doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shads
    In most RPGs, the battles = the "gameplay"
    For me, exploration is the gameplay.

Blog Entries

Well, honestly, I don't think it would be too much trouble to make battle sprites as I guess you could just use the same ones that you use for side view, and maybe give them a sword.
    Exactly!

For me, exploration is the gameplay.
    Okay, let me rephrase: "for some people" the battles = the "gameplay". =P

Also, what's the best part about exploration? Well, it might depend of course. But when exploring a cave, for example, it's not quite as fun if all you do is just "moving your character trough the cave". When exploring, you want to "discover things", like a super-cool hidden sword with magical effects. But if you the sword will make no difference anyways, since all you do in the battles are mashing buttons while being bored, the idea of trying to discover it becomes much less attractive. And isn't it more fun to discover that hidden area with some cool minigame, if you had to defeat a tough dragon to reach it rather than being able to walk straight over there from the very start? Exploration and battles go hand in hand! =P

And I mean c'mon... who doesn't want the final boss to be an EPIC battle rather than some boring event that you have to force yourself trough by spamming a single button?
    Last edited by Ultima Shadow; 07-23-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the DQIV idea is amazing too! ESPECIALLY considering I came upwitht he idea first. =/

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

As far as the best maker. RMXP really beats the pants out of 2k. 2k3 is actually pretty terrible. If anyone recommends VX, they will get shot.

That said, I'm definitely on board. I'm pretty good with speeches and dialogue, though, I have yet to bother learning Ruby.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    As far as the best maker. RMXP really beats the pants out of 2k. 2k3 is actually pretty terrible. If anyone recommends VX, they will get shot.

That said, I'm definitely on board. I'm pretty good with speeches and dialogue, though, I have yet to bother learning Ruby.
    RMXP is awesome, but it doesn't work with Vista, requires Ruby to really get the 100% awesomeness out of it, which requires a lot of time spent into learning, and most of my previous resources are useless on it.