Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: EoFF RPG Maker Collab

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dignified Pauper View Post
    As far as the best maker. RMXP really beats the pants out of 2k. 2k3 is actually pretty terrible. If anyone recommends VX, they will get shot.
    I agree that XP is the best (well, if you get some nice battle scripts for it anyways). But since it's not aviable for free, only some have it/will bother getting it.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The nice thing about 2k is that you don't really need to know any scripting. It's all just point and click. It's a little more limited, I guess, but if you learn the limits you can do some cool stuff. Plus just about anyone can pick it up just by playing around a bit.

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

VX doesn't work on Vista? I never knew. I still vote for that. I mean, I can get it for anyone who needs it. As far as Ruby, you don't need to know it at all really. It's a bit more versatile than 2k. And the graphics are to die for, especially since your character sprites can be huge for mega bosses! That said, doesn't really matter. Just throwing my two cents.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

A note on random encounters - Honestly, I loathe the things. I get what Shads is saying about the need for danger, but having the screen swoosh and you being dumped into battle through no fault of your own, with no rhyme or reason, is annoying. So I'm thinking each dungeon can have 1-4 "events" (depending on how big it is) before a boss. Fights that are more challenging than your random encounter, but not boss-level. Let me give some examples:

- You see some enemies waiting up ahead, and you have the choice of attacking it head-on, or sneaking around to the side for an ambush. If you sneak around to the side, you can silently kill two of the enemies, leaving less for you to fight. However, it could (for whatever reason) fail and your mage ends up slipping down a small cliff face and can't take part in that fight.
    - On a similar note, you can either fight an enemy, or you can try to stealth around it. The stealth route is extremely long (and your movement speed will be slowed because you can't just go sprinting around a cave and not expect to be heard).
    - You are surrounded by a group of enemies. You can either fight your way out, or you can try to run (actually run rather than select the "Flee" command) but if they catch you, the battle will be harder because you weren't prepared for it. (reflected in the enemies' stats)

Stuff like that would be infinitely more enjoyable - and strategic - than "take two steps, SWOOOOSH, kill enemy in three hits, take two steps, SWOOOOOSH" etc.

As for 2k vs XP, well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marick
    And the graphics are to die for, especially since your character sprites can be huge for mega bosses!
    Yes, I do like that XP can have huge sprites. Although to be honest, I think all the XP sprites look as ugly as sin and 2000's simplistic ones look entirely more stylish.

But I mean really, if people are desperate to use XP, I say why not? We can have some people do a 2000 collaboration, and others do an XP collaboration, and release them as one big package. No harm done.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    But I mean really, if people are desperate to use XP, I say why not? We can have some people do a 2000 collaboration, and others do an XP collaboration, and release them as one big package. No harm done.
    "Insert next disk" xD

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, it would be kind of funny to have the first and second game in the series developed and released simultaneously.

(SPOILER)Or even better, release them as "Our Collab Game" and "Our Collab Game 3: The Reckoning" at the same time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    A note on random encounters - Honestly, I loathe the things. I get what Shads is saying about the need for danger, but having the screen swoosh and you being dumped into battle through no fault of your own, with no rhyme or reason, is annoying. So I'm thinking each dungeon can have 1-4 "events" (depending on how big it is) before a boss. Fights that are more challenging than your random encounter, but not boss-level. Let me give some examples:

- You see some enemies waiting up ahead, and you have the choice of attacking it head-on, or sneaking around to the side for an ambush. If you sneak around to the side, you can silently kill two of the enemies, leaving less for you to fight. However, it could (for whatever reason) fail and your mage ends up slipping down a small cliff face and can't take part in that fight.
    - On a similar note, you can either fight an enemy, or you can try to stealth around it. The stealth route is extremely long (and your movement speed will be slowed because you can't just go sprinting around a cave and not expect to be heard).
    - You are surrounded by a group of enemies. You can either fight your way out, or you can try to run (actually run rather than select the "Flee" command) but if they catch you, the battle will be harder because you weren't prepared for it. (reflected in the enemies' stats)

Stuff like that would be infinitely more enjoyable - and strategic - than "take two steps, SWOOOOSH, kill enemy in three hits, take two steps, SWOOOOOSH" etc.
    Actually, that was exactly what I was thinking as well. Less battles, but longer lasting and more strategic battles. That's how it should be.

Articles

QWERTYSAUR

RPG Maker 2000
    Psychotic (rules)
    Shoeberto
    Levian
    Loony BoB (?)

RPG Maker XP, unless these jerks are willing to use a PRO editor
    Goldenboko
    Dignified Pauper
    oddler (?)
    Rase (?)

I don't know because he didn't specify but he will be angry if I do not mention him
    Laddy

Other junk

Battle Balancing/Planning
    Ultima Shadow

Writing of some form
    scrumpleberry
    Jiro
    Timekeeper
    Rodarian
    Shattered Dreamer
    The Unknown Guru

Butts
    Rantzien

Things to be assigned by number for each person:
    • Maps
    • Switches
    • Variables
    • Heroes
    • Items
    • Monsters
    • Monsters Party
    • Skills
    • Battle Animations
    • Chipsets
    • Terrain
    • Common Events

How many of these do you think you, personally, will need? It doesn't have to be exact, just a rough estimate'll do fine. More can be added to your allowance later if needs be. Some thoughts:

- I don't think Conditions needs to be unique.
    - I think a uniform selection of items (eg everyone's chapter has potions, ethers, whatever, rather than all having different names for things) would be best.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

If people will get annoyed because I can only offer writing and can't do any of the heavy lifting because hurr durr RPG Maker ignorance, then I will by all means let you guys have the fun with writing, and forget about contributing. I really don't mind. I'd probably feel the same way.

Articles

I don't mind helping someone with their own written chapters if my own is done (although I do have 3 ideas I'd like to do!) and not everybody else has finished theirs. And I'm more than willing to accept creative input on my own. Maybe.

VICIOUS GEEK SOOT~ヽ(`Д´)ノ scrumpleberry's Avatar

I'm telling you man, Gullwings music was so the way to go!

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

As far as using XP/2k. I really don't mind, just adding my two cents. I always have considered XP's sprites to be way better, especially a lot of the custom ones.

Further, you can do a lot more without knowing Ruby in XP than you can in 2K, that's besides the points. However, I don't care either way, I just think it's a better system overall. The tilesets are also great, since the maps have three layers and much more versatility.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Could you mention something specific that can only be done in XP and not in 2k? From the little I've used XP, I don't remember very much, and I'd check it out myself but I can't download or install anything on this computer.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

Making little sprites is easy. Editing existing sprites is even easier.

Look! It's Butz Necronopticous!
    Last edited by Marshall Banana; 07-25-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I'm not gonna help but I want you to add me to one of your lists anyway.