Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Am I the only one who thinks this game is hard

FF 12 wasn't difficult per say it took some getting used to the new battle system and gambits. However once you become comfortable with it the game was rather enjoyable for me. It does however host a horde of the most frustrating and challenging boss fights of any final fantasy, Zodiark and Yiazmat being a few examples but i love a good challenge.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishi
    I wouldn't mind following a guide to get the Tournesol and its like, if only it were that simple. My problem is, even after you know what you need, actually getting the right loot to drop is such a slow, random, painful process that I would probably add another fifty hours to my play time by the time I were finished.

I'm crazy about this game; I completed the Sky Pirate's Den, which is no joke. But I draw the line at ridiculous random drops.
    Yeah, worst part of the game, by far. I was going to play a lot more and get the Tournesol... but after a couple of hours of mindlessly searching for just the right drop, I gave up and just beat the game.

The gambits, however, as you mentioned before were excellent. You could use them as much or as little as you want, and really tailor the gameplay to your preference.
    I agree with these guys. You wouldn't even know some monsters even dropped some of the stuff, it takes so long. Without a guide, the cool challenges and items are nigh unobtainable. In other FFs, some items were difficult to get, but you could at least figure out how to get them. In 12, you're basically forced to get a guide.

Having said that, I always buy a guide for a game if it is so good that I will never get rid of it so I would be buying 12s guide anyway.

And I freaking love the Gambit system. Rather than tweak it depending on the circumstance, I aim to create the prefect Gambit setup that doesn't need to adapt as it will always be able to handle whatever the game throws at it. This is difficult with limited slots, but I'm getting close.
    >>> You guys didnt get Tounesol? haha, shame on you..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Banned

It was hard, until I realized how to use gambits effectively, and how to make significant gil (selling loot), then the game was a breeze.

But, funnily enough, it was also Elder Wyrm for me, that was a major pain to defeat. His repeated killing me was what forced me to learn how to set up gambits properly.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Like all games it got easier the more I played through it, but it's still pretty challenging for me at times. My first playthrough was a nightmare. After the Leviathan I just relied on Quickenings and it took me six million tries to beat every boss. Then I used the Neglamur or whatever trick to get to level eighty million. Now it's tricky, but I don't have to rely on cheap tactics to succeed.

I just realized that's one of the biggest reasons I like this game. The difficulty level is perfect for me. Not monster hard but still challenging. I hope it stays that way even after I play through it a fourth(?) time.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I never had much trouble with most of the main story bosses. But I enjoyed being able to go on quests that would be very challenging for my party's levels. Right after doing the first Gilgamesh hunt I went after him for the second round and got my ass handed to me because he went up like 15 levels. I barely managed to defeat him the 2nd or 3rd try.

Overall, I approved of the game's difficulty. There were a couple of story bosses that were difficult/annoying (Elder Wyrm), and regardless of how leveled you were you could easily take up challenging hunts. The significant number of hunts is a good way to keep things interesting for any playthrough (the other being having enemies/bosses level up with you).