Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy 8 is the best one out of 'em all.

*pushes Fonz over*

Also...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    FFVIII is the best because of it's character development
    Wrong.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

Personally, I absolutely LOVE the junction system, and the story was well made but I somehow find it a little odd near the end(I only made it to Adel I think), but I think that the first disk(minus Laguna flashbacks) was really really good and fun. The second disk was well made(minus the district prison and the same looking floors) and is also very good! I don't like how Rinoa become the sorceress however, and I really hate the orphanage scene, with the team at the basketball court

Triple Triad is a really fun game, and the many other sidequests, such as Odin's and the research facility, are extremely well made, and also very fun.

I do not, however, like the leveling system. Although I am not completely against the "Mosters leveling with you" design, I do wish that being a low level would still make it harder, and you would have to both level and junction correctly to be strong throughout the game.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Selphie is the best from this game.

While FFVIII was far from my favourate FF (I didn't like most things about the game compared to others in the series), I have to say that the Triple Triad game made up for many of the dislikes I had about the game.
    It is easily my favourate mini game from any FF...maybe Blitzball from X being a close second.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    *pushes Fonz over*

Also...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    FFVIII is the best because of it's character development
    Wrong.
    Yeah who gets developed other than Squall, Rinoa, and questionably Laguna?

Blog Entries

Raaawwwrrrr!

/Artwork made by black orb!

I wouldn't really say FF8 is "the best" FF, but it certainly got the coolest and most badass looking boss (Ultima Weapon) in like... any RPG ever.

...also, the final form of the final boss has a more "epic feeling" to it than the other final bosses in the FF series. And, of course, there's "Triple Triad".

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow View Post
    Raaawwwrrrr!

I wouldn't really say FF8 is "the best" FF, but it certainly got the coolest and most badass looking boss (Ultima Weapon) in like... any RPG ever.

...also, the final form of the final boss has a more "epic feeling" to it than the other final bosses in the FF series. And, of course, there's "Triple Triad".
    You mean the stupid chick with the steer horns for hair?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    You mean the stupid chick with the steer horns for hair?
    Yeah, that's the one.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Man with teh Machina gun ftw~

But no, I like X-2 "International" + Last Mission and VI more xD!

FFVII rules because I grew up with it therefore it is the BEST.

/bias

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's superior to other FF games in terms of referencing Charlie Brown.

Do You Like Waffles? DarkBahamut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trancekuja View Post
    Rinoa's perky boobs.
    Tifa's sexy boobs.

No time for "Dilly-Dallying" or "Shilly-Shallying."
    Props go to the one and only, Proxy, for the signature.

I'll post why I disagree with you -

Plot
    For one, I'm a bigger fan of Medieval settings then I am of more modern-ish ones like VIII had. VIII's world didn't feel very believable compared to VII and IX's. Ultimecia's Time Kompression just felt boring even after a mediocre villain like sephiroth. Another strike against VIII is that it has one of the most facepalm-worthy plot points of any JRPG I've played -

(SPOILER)"Oh hey, we all actually knew eachother from our childhood together in this orphanage, but competely forgot it because We've been using GFs!" If it had been hinted at through the game up to the point through party dialogue, or even had more and more clues dropped about possible negative side effects of Guardian Force junctioning, it'd probably have been a nice, dark twist to the plot, especially if it were expanded upon afterwards. Instead, we got something along the lines of: "GF must've destroyed our memories! Let's keep using GF!" and then nothing is spoken of it again.

Characters

The supporting party characters (read: people not named Squall or Rinoa) more or less spoke with the same voice. Aside from their brief introductory bits, they never really felt like individuals to me.

And, even as a semi-angsty teenager myself, Seifer never felt legitimate to me. He's just too obvious and ham-fisted for me to take seriously. Maybe that's the point, but I remember loathing his appearances in the game when I played it a decade ago.

Irvine has pretty much no development after the first disc, and the rest of his character basically amounts to "Hey dude, you think I gotta chance with Selphie?" "Hey, I think I'm making some progress on Selphie" "Man, I'm totally getting shut down by Selphie" "Dude, stop hogging all the hotties, atleast give me Selphie!"

The cast basically stopped acting as a group after disk 1. Quistis got it even worse, she was barely relevant after Squall became a SeeD, and that happens about two hours into the game. Selphie got a section at Trabia and at the Garden Festival, so she probably came out of it with the most screen time; Zell got the whole thing with the Balamb infiltration. Other than that it was all Rinoa and Squall.

VIII had a lot of wasted opportunity. With such a small cast they could have really focused on the characters and made it a very interesting and personal story of a small group of young people, and up until the end of disk 1 it looked like that was what we were going to get. But then disk 2 was spent with half the group separated, and after disk 3 began it all just went to .

Ironically enough, IX pulled it off much better, even though it had more characters and about half of them weren't very relevant (Freya, Amarant, Quina). At its heart it was about Zidane, Garnet, and Vivi, and it does it incredibly well. Steiner is also pretty well-developed, but he's definitely a supporting character, albeit a well-done one (good in his own right, believable, but the story really isn't "about" him).

Battle System

Outside of the Obvious ATB system -

1) The summoning system in VIII is too useful. If you overused it the battles became very repetitive. It even got annoying at times. The fact they were just as strong as standard FF summons, but without any cost broke the game in a way.
    2) The Junction/Draw system in VIII was annoying. Magic was pretty worthless in general, but say I junctioned my Curaga to Spirit or something. If I used a Curaga spell, my spirit stat would go down because I've used one of the spells thats being junctioned -_- Or you could go the reverse and junction 100 death to your weapon and have insta-kill abilities.

Graphics & Soundtrack
    The closest game to compare it to would be IX. Graphically theyre both about on Par with eachother, though I would say IX edges out slightly ahead. VIII goes for a more realistic style while IX opted for a more cartoony style, and because of that IX has aged a slight bit better. It also has more impressive prerendered backgrounds imo.

I was never terribly impressed with VIII's soundtrack outside of a few select songs (Ultimecia's castle and Man with the machine gun to name a couple).

Over all, It's definitely a pretty game, but I think it falls flat in many areas. It's more pretentious than artistic, IMO, and a lot of it feels forced. It doesn't help that the game's seminal moment is home to one of the most grating songs I've ever heard.

Last edited by Zerokku; 08-01-2009 at 07:28 AM.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow View Post
    Raaawwwrrrr!

I have the UW action figure.

i completely agree with Zerokku, very well made points
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.