Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy 8 is the best one out of 'em all.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    *pushes Fonz over*

Also...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    FFVIII is the best because of it's character development
    Wrong.
    Yeah who gets developed other than Squall, Rinoa, and questionably Laguna?
    With Squall & Rinoa being the main leads, their character development was what mattered mostly. I've never played a game where I understood a character as much as Squall, with his motives, emotions.. everything really.

Str8 Pimpin'

*pushes Fonz over*

Also...
    Wrong.
    With Squall & Rinoa being the main leads, their character development was what mattered mostly. I've never played a game where I understood a character as much as Squall, with his motives, emotions.. everything really.
    First of all, if that's honestly the case you need to play more RPGs.

Second of all, really now? Cause I never understood why Squall went from being cold to and annoyed by rinoa to loving her undyingly almost instantaneously. Its like they thought, Oh this is supposed to be a love story hurry and make him change before the game is over!

Thirdly, note my point when talking about the characters on the previous page. With such a small cast of characters they could had some great development outside of squall and rinoa, but instead we end up with characters that are almost as bad as the legions in chrono cross. And even with just the main characters, IX still managed more impressive character development, and thats with a larger "ensemble" cast.

*pushes Fonz over*

Also...
    Wrong.
    Even when talking about Squall and Rinoa, the character development was still incredibly bad; and this isn't just me being biased, I enjoyed playing the game, but from a text book standpoint it was just very bad. One of the most important things about character acting and narrative is that they should have the principle of empathy - something that is incredibly foggy throughout the whole game with all characters including Squall and Rinoa.

In other words, you clearly have no concept of character development.

In my opinion; maybe the weak personality filled with angst that Squall had appealed to me when I was 12 years old, but after growing up a bit I honestly feel he's a very childish character.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Originally Posted by Zerokku
    Second of all, really now? Cause I never understood why Squall went from being cold to and annoyed by rinoa to loving her undyingly almost instantaneously. Its like they thought, Oh this is supposed to be a love story hurry and make him change before the game is over!
    I exactly know what Squall felt there ; It's just like real life ,when you have somthing, you never realise what you have , but when you lost somthing you suddenly realize that how much you have been attached to it and how much you miss it now that it's gone, and sometimes that makes you make sudden decisions and sometimes change your ways to prevent such losses in the future .

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Takero View Post
    Originally Posted by Zerokku
    Second of all, really now? Cause I never understood why Squall went from being cold to and annoyed by rinoa to loving her undyingly almost instantaneously. Its like they thought, Oh :bou::bou::bou::bou: this is supposed to be a love story hurry and make him change before the game is over!
    I exactly know what Squall felt there ; It's just like real life ,when you have somthing, you never realise what you have , but when you lost somthing you suddenly realize that how much you have been attached to it and how much you miss it now that it's gone, and sometimes that makes you make sudden decisions and sometimes change your ways to prevent such losses in the future .
    The obvious explanation is that Squall Leonheart is a closet necrophiliac.

it's really simple so simple people obviously overlook it, and it is simply Squall is afraid of getting close to anyone so he fights it untill, like Takero said, he didn't wanna acknowledge how much Rinoa (and the others) meant to him untill he thaught there may be a chance she was gone for good... he is so afraid of loss that he tries to distance himself from others emotionaly, it's a dissassociative disorder, i went through the same thing in my teen years (and still a little bit to this day) so i understand where the character of Squall is coming from... and i have to agree this game has better/more character development than most of the Old-School FFs, 'cept maybe FFVI, those that deny it just don't get it and thats okay, i guess you have to go through an emotional rolorcoster simmilar to Squalls in order to really get what the writers were doing, don't just judge by the surface but look deeper at the foundation and it becomes apparent why the surface looks the way it does...

Quote Originally Posted by Elly
    it's really simple so simple people obviously overlook it, and it is simply Squall is afraid of getting close to anyone so he fights it untill, like Takero said, he didn't wanna acknowledge how much Rinoa (and the others) meant to him untill he thaught there may be a chance she was gone for good... he is so afraid of loss that he tries to distance himself from others emotionaly, it's a dissassociative disorder, i went through the same thing in my teen years (and still a little bit to this day) so i understand where the character of Squall is coming from... and i have to agree this game has better/more character development than most of the Old-School FFs, 'cept maybe FFVI, those that deny it just don't get it and thats okay, i guess you have to go through an emotional rolorcoster simmilar to Squalls in order to really get what the writers were doing, don't just judge by the surface but look deeper at the foundation and it becomes apparent why the surface looks the way it does...
    First of all...

*snip*

Second of all, Of course it has better characterization than games that have characters with no personality *snip*. That doesn't excuse its god awful characterization for its time. Hell IV and VI are both "old school" FFs and have better characterization and development than VIII.

Thirdly, even if that is the case, it does not absolve that event of how poorly written and handled it was, nor does it absolve VIII of its many many numerous other faults.

Don't personally attack other members of this forum. ~Zeromus
    Last edited by Wolf Kanno; 08-05-2009 at 07:13 PM.

I agree that the character devlopment of squall was done very very well. people seem to hate squall because he comes across as an idiot, but that is the point. he is a sociopath and it is a story showing his evolution back into a person who can love instead of a person who fears loss (which he first experienced when ellone "sis" left the orphanage).

The character was not 1 dimensional, and as long as the main characters have a background and a story and are explored it is bound to be good.

There is only so much you can do with a script. How much character devlopment did Yuffie, Cait, Vincent get? Pretty much 0. (and ff's before 7 were woeful imho)

The story revolves around the main main characters and so they are further analyzed, whereas the other characters are delved into.

edit: XII had absolutely no character development or decent story which is why it sucked

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerokku View Post
    First of all, if that's honestly the case you need to play more RPGs.
    True, I do. I can count how many I've played with my two hands.
    You need to understand that Squall developed feelings for Rinoa when she was taken away from him (I'm almost sure of this, I haven't played the game in years). Something like this can easily trigger emotions in a very swift fashion. I can personally atest to this. Hell, I'm betting so can most people.
    Thirdly, note my point when talking about the characters on the previous page. With such a small cast of characters they could had some great development outside of squall and rinoa, but instead we end up with characters that are almost as bad as the legions in chrono cross. And even with just the main characters, IX still managed more impressive character development, and thats with a larger "ensemble" cast.
    Although I agree that more could have been done with the secondary characters in VIII, saying IX had better character development doesn't make it fact. VIII dealt with more characters than IX to my understanding, with Laguna and the world generations previously. In conclusion, there is characters I know alot better in VIII, and vice versa with IX, & I think I'll just leave it at that. I will say however, that the antagonists were a poor match-up, with Kuja being obviously the more in-depth villian.
    Even when talking about Squall and Rinoa, the character development was still incredibly bad; and this isn't just me being biased, I enjoyed playing the game, but from a text book standpoint it was just very bad. One of the most important things about character acting and narrative is that they should have the principle of empathy - something that is incredibly foggy throughout the whole game with all characters including Squall and Rinoa.
    I personally like how it played out. I thought the way their feelings were potrayed and acted out seemed genuine, and the course of the story played out fluidly.
    In other words, you clearly have no concept of character development.
    Your ignorance shines through like your native sun. I think you need to chill out. Just because I like the characters & how the story went, it doesn't make me wrong. Same would be said if I said you were incorrect about liking ice cream, it's not my opinion, it's yours.
    In my opinion; maybe the weak personality filled with angst that Squall had appealed to me when I was 12 years old, but after growing up a bit I honestly feel he's a very childish character.
    Does that make me, and many other FF fans immature (or childish) for liking his character then?

Str8 Pimpin'

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Zerokku: Do not refer to anyone on this board as a moronic twit! If you cannot debate nicely, gtfo of this thread.

EDIT: Sorry, Zero. Didn't see you there with your bright white font.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Guys, this is not the place to debate whether FFVIII is good or bad. There have been myriads of threads covering that, and you could even start a new one if you wanted. I would even be on the side asserting that the game is largely a joyless, amateurish odyssey into mediocrity!

But this thread is for talking about why you love it. That's all it's for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Guys, this is not the place to debate whether FFVIII is good or bad. There have been myriads of threads covering that, and you could even start a new one if you wanted. I would even be on the side asserting that the game is largely a joyless, amateurish odyssey into mediocrity!

But this thread is for talking about why you love it. That's all it's for.
    Except that if someone is making such a ridiculous claim, shouldn't we be able to discuss why they're wrong, bringing up point for point the faults like I did on the previous page? Its not much of a discussion if everyone is just saying "yah its good and heres why" especially when those reasons why tend to be full of it/invalid when compared.

Not to mention he pretty much welcomed it in the first post with saying "If you doubt it, you'll have to go through me."

(And to the mods, sorry for the insults, I have a tendency to be a bit of an arrogant asshole, I know =/ I try and refrain most of the time, but I can let things slip)

-----
    Back to the discussion at hand

Your ignorance shines through like your native sun. I think you need to chill out. Just because I like the characters & how the story went, it doesn't make me wrong. Same would be said if I said you were incorrect about liking ice cream, it's not my opinion, it's yours.
    Except hes right. By all means like the characters. Theres no problem with that. But don't say they were well written and developed when they were not, as that is objectively false.
    Last edited by Zerokku; 08-05-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zerokku View Post
    Except that if someone is making such a ridiculous claim, shouldn't we be able to discuss why they're wrong, bringing up point for point the faults like I did on the previous page? Its not much of a discussion if everyone is just saying "yah its good and heres why" especially when those reasons why tend to be full of it/invalid when compared.
    By all means like the characters. Theres no problem with that. But don't say they were well written and developed when they were not, as that is objectively false.
    Really? You're going with "I am right and they are wrong, and I have to teach them the truth"? I have to tell you, that's not going to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Really? You're going with "I am right and they are wrong, and I have to teach them the truth"? I have to tell you, that's not going to fly.
    As long as its providing actual discussion rather than everyone being in agreement and not actually discussing anything/ a poll thread, why not? Particularly when they're welcoming it?
    Last edited by Zerokku; 08-05-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Relm

You can have a discussion without an outright dispute. I'm surprised you'd refute this. The feel-good vibration of this thread also makes it unique and valuable, and I'd sooner start deleting your posts than close it.

So, you know, watch for that.