Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Tidus just a dream/dead or something?

Default Is Tidus just a dream/dead or something?

Before you go and criticize me, yes, I have finished Final Fantasy X and I am almost finished with Final Fantasy X-2

But, I did not get the ending of Final Fantasy X...
    Was Tidus just Fayth's dream? or was he real and if so, did he die?
    Was Zanarkand real as well?

And I also thought while playing FFX 2, why is FFX 2 important at all...?
    It really just seems like random battles and then suddenly Yuna finds out that Lenne is part of her, Lenne reunites or something with Shuyin and blah blah blah
    Was all that necessary for the story line....?
    Couldn't they have just ended Final Fantasy the way it was?

But I did enjoy the songs Yuna/Lenne sang in FFX 2

Tidus is a part of an Aeon. "Dream Zanarkand" is essentially a single massive Aeon (just like Cindy/Sandy/Mindy or Yojimbo and his dog are considered 1 Aeon). When the summoning ends, DZ fades, and Tidus goes with it, as he is still, essentially, a part of it.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I consider FF X ending to be the true one and don't except any other.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oooh, a fellow NYer!

Tidus was a dream of the Fayth from when Zanarkand was dying. Zanarkand used to be real, but is really now a dead city. That was what I got out of it.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

The term dream can be misleading, because in these games the dreams of the Fayth can be corporeal.

DZ and Zanarkand ruins are two different locations that exist at the same time but not in the same place. Both the player and Tidus are mislead to thinking he's traveled in time for 90% of the game.

So he's as real as anyone else so long as Yu Yevon continues the summon. Once he's defeated DZ (and everyone in it including Tidus) cease to exist-corporeally at least.

If you consider FFX-2 canon, then Tidus spent some time without a physical body. As for the sequel itself, I'm of two minds:

1) It's unecessary since FFX ended on the perfect bittersweet note. It's a game-length excuse to give you a Wayne's World-style 'mega-happy ending'.

2) The gameplay is great, the battle system innovative and I liked the new characters that got introduced. Too bad the carryover characters didn't do so well.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I agree, the new characters totally make the game ('cept for the Le' bleh and her goons)... It also totally shows a side of the Fayth/Pyreflies that's extremely dark.

Contributions

I happen to love Leblanc, but maybe I'm just fond of her archetype: Grandis, Crimson Scorpion, and Doronjo.

It's debatable what actually happened to Tidus at the end of FFX-2.

Let's look at Jecht for example, he too was nothing more than a dream, yet he exists in the Farplane because you hear him giving advice to YRP against Shuyin in the last battle.

It could be possible that Yuna's connection to the Fayth and her undying love for Tidus ultimately allowed him to exist.

Contributions

I doubt the summonable Aeons cease to exist when they're dismissed, why should DZ be different? My guess is they simply don't have a physical form. Tidus can still whistle to Yuna in the Farplane, even without a body.

ahh the eternal debate continues, i dont mind though cause i like to hear everyone's opinions on the subject. as far as x-2 goes... i think that the creators thought that people wouldn't like the game no matter (for whatever reasons). so they used it as an excuse to create a completely new and innovative battle system. which was totally stellar btw.
    She looks so pretty in her casket, I'm in love with a corpse!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tidus is basically just a reincarnation of Shuyin. Dreams are as real as you make them and this case, they were very real for Yuna and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Tidus is basically just a reincarnation of Shuyin. Dreams are as real as you make them and this case, they were very real for Yuna and others.
    where did you pull this out of?

tidus was a dream, just like the aeons and the dream zanarkand. once yu yevon was defeated, the fayth quit dreaming...thus, they disappeared.

now you might ask, how did yuna hear tidus whistle in the farplane and hear jecht?

is it possible that jecht and tidus were different because they were touched by sin and brought to the real world, and thats why they could be seen and heard in the farplane?
    possibly, but that doesnt explain how tidus saw his mother in the farplane when they visited there the first time. so whats up?

most likely they just ceased to exist physically and mentally, but were technically still "spiritually" exist. when yuna asked for him in x-2., the fayth almost makes it out as "we'll see what we can do."

most likely, the fayth (the little boy) dreamed one last dream to give tidus physical existence once again.

again, thats just theory. the whole shuyin's reincarnation and being a "strong dream that they believed so much made him real" isnt even feasible.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

She's half correct about the reincarnation. The passage of time in DZ is that of Spira's (because as we should know, DZ has a physical location in Spira). It is very likely that in the original dream, Shuyin was recreated by the Fayth. However, he would've eventually gone and died, since the Fayth at the time probably did not know of his demise, and they certainly would not have known that he was slowly going nuts inside the Den. Dream Shuyin does not suffer this fate; he could have done anything else. Since the War did not occur in DZ, it's not unreasonable he lived out the rest of his life with Lenne. Say Dream Shuyin had kids. It's not unfeasible that Tidus' template was based on Shuyin's, if he were a descendant.

Alternatively, Yu Yevon could've reset DZ (as he is said to be able to do) and simply based Tidus off of Shuyin's template. After 1000 years, you're bound to run out of ideas somewhere.

As for Tidus, it's pretty simple. The Fayth dreamt up DZ, and Tidus was a part of it. At the end of FFX-2, they simply decided to keep dreaming one part of the dream, since, you know, Yuna more or less gave them their freedom.

Blog Entries

my opinion is that DZ is a model of the real zanarkand dreamed up by the faythe and all the people had real forms in real zanarkand (not the same person just the model) . And although they were not the same people tidus was created in the image of shuyin so maybe tidus's "mom" he saw was actually the real person his mom took her likness from.

Contributions

I go with the physical template theory. Tidus has none of Shuyin's memories. It's quite likely that the Fayth dreaming DZ reuse physical templates in the many generations.

On a side note, many of the people you see in DZ also appear in Spira (some of whom resemble the summonable Fayth), although it says more about the game designers reusing generic designs than anything else.