Thread: Goodbye and good riddance

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default Goodbye and good riddance

Instead of sob stories, the thread title is what should be said when Aeris dies in FF7.

What character's death impacted you the most in any Final Fantasy (doesn't have to be a playable character)? Was there any character you were almost happy you were finally rid of? Are there other characters you'd prefer to have died instead?

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

As for which death impacted me the most, it's hard to say, since I don't really think any of them did.

I was happy to be rid of Aeris.

I wish Yuna would have died, despite the guardians' efforts to save her. I think the element of despair that would have come over the rest of the party would have had a much more significant emotional impact on the player instead of Tidus disappearing and having a lousy knockoff game expand upon that. If Yuna died, the abomination that is X-2 would not exist.

All the dead people lying around after operation Mi'hen in X, only to find a traumatised (forgothisname) who says (forgothisnametoo) died in a not so pleasant way. That was some sad impacting stuff.

edit: also in X, (SPOILER)when you see Auron's younger version trying to avenge Jecht and Braska by facing Yunalesca. Those cutscenes were quite heavy aswell.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm always saddened by the death of Zeza in FFV. I know you barely know the character before he dies, but it's kinda sad seeing him sacrifice himself in front of his old comrade, Galuf. I was quite happy to be rid of Edward for a brief period of time actually. Oh and when Selphie almost perishes in the Missile Base. Her survival was disappointing.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

I liked Aeris, and so her dying sucked. I still like using her whenever I'm playing through the game, even though I know she's gonna die.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

My heart always goes out to Josef in FFII. He's a bald old man with a moustache, lives for his little girl, obliterates monsters with his bare hands, and wears a poncho; naturally, such an awesome guy is taken away from us entirely too soon. At least he dies holding up a giant boulder that's about to crush the entire party, which is an appropriately badass way to go out.

Speaking of grizzled badasses, there's also Galuf in FFV. Seeing the Lord of Darkness knock around his only granddaughter gets him so riled that he stands up and trudges into the same Sith lightning pinning down the rest of the party, knowing full well that it'll shatter one of the elemental crystals--which are, you know, kind of important. Then he absorbs the forcefield surrounding Klulu and goes Super Saiyan or something, taking on Exdeath and completely shrugging off spells like Holy and Meteor, even after his HP falls past zero. When Exdeath expresses his confusion, he just assures him, "I can't die yet!" When Exdeath claims rage and hate alone can't defeat him, he simply replies, "This is not...mere rage or hate!"

He finally dies before he can say what it is, but taking that secret with him just makes his demise that much more bittersweet.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd like to take this time, to pour one out for my dead homie, General Leo from Final Fantasy 6. You will be missed.

As for Galuf, I thought his death was too amusing to be sad.

It's like, "No don't die right now! Not right now, Grandpa! Maybe later after you finish your train of thought."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I was mad when Aeris died because she was one of my best characters. Also when Lupin and one of the twins died, that wasn't really necessary.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Well that's your fault for leveling up the worst character in the game! Ok, maybe second worst (Cait Sith's limit is pretty terrible).

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I was mad when Aeris died because she was one of my best characters. Also when Lupin and one of the twins died, that wasn't really necessary.
    Just move her Materia combination's over to a different character.

Also, Galuf. Though really, so many other games have had much more dramatic and deep character deaths. FF isn't really the best place to look for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    As for which death impacted me the most, it's hard to say, since I don't really think any of them did.

I was happy to be rid of Aeris.

I wish Yuna would have died, despite the guardians' efforts to save her. I think the element of despair that would have come over the rest of the party would have had a much more significant emotional impact on the player instead of Tidus disappearing and having a lousy knockoff game expand upon that. If Yuna died, the abomination that is X-2 would not exist.
    No, it would exist. Only instead we'd have Wakka and Keepa from the Aurochs changing into fruity costumes instead of Yuna and Rikku...

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Galuf's death is pretty impressive, although it seems too much like Tellah's death to be really epic.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

FFIV was revolutionary in carrying out plot events in the context of fixed battles, often with the computer controlling both parties. But FFV took that one step further by using the battle system and blatantly breaking its established rules: that is, when someone's HP hit zero, they go down. They always go down. But not Galuf. "Why? How?!" you wonder.

And, of course, that's the idea.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

General Leo. Why did he have to die?

Aeris's death did not bother me in the least. It did surprise me a bit though.
    Hello Pika Art by Dr Unne ~~~ godhatesfraggles

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I wished Yuna would die too. She annoyed me to no end -.-

Zack in Crisis Core - probably the most emotional moment in any Final Fantasy game, even knowing that it is going to happen from the start. It was done incredibly well, as you manage to get so attached to him throughout the game.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."