Thread: Rewrite the ending

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Rewrite the ending

If you were on the writing board when this game was creating and you had full authority, how would YOU change the ending from the point that Necron was killed? Be as creative and wild as you want. Any kind of ending is welcome.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't like that they didn't show anything leaning towards the Black Mages finding a way to live. That's about the only thing I would change.

Picture this, Lindblum (after the seen with Garnet and Zidane embracing), Vivi is shaking hands with Cid, after he turned back to his normal self of course, and and walks out to the balcony (or returns to the Black Mage village, whichever you think is better) and addresses a crowd. Camera pans out to reveal the town square filled with Black Mages. He gives his speech and the crowd of Mages goes wild. Cut to the scene of the Mage manufacturing plant under Dali. A new machine has arrived and the Mages are being lined up before it. The first gives Vivi and Cid the thumbs up before going through. Vivi and Cid await anxiously on the other side for the results. When the Mage comes out the other side he comes out standing straight up, like the robot he used to be. A few seconds go by before life springs into him. He checks himself and gives the pair of onlookers another thumbs up, signifying success. Cut to scene where all Mages are being carted through the new machine. Fin~

Or

Vivi returns to the Black Mage village directly after shaking hands with Cid (no balcony scene) and walks to the center of the village. All the Black Mages come out of their huts and head over to where he is, surrounding him. Close in on his face and follow his hands up to show him holding a miracle cure in them. In turn all the onlooking Mages thro their hands up in ecstasy!

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like the Vivi ending a lot. It always made me sad that it seem implied that (SPOILER)he died.

id have added a scene showing what happened to kuja

I don't really like that Vivi ending. The implication that Vivi is dead is to central to his character, and the overall feeling of the Blackmages. They are faced with the fact that they have a limited time on this world to live, and have time and time again tried to mask their own mortality by covering up the word death with stopped moving.

To simply prolong their life with a machine is nothing more then them running away from the truth, and defeats a lot of the symbolic value held by the blackmages, if that makes any sense.

But yes, a scene a bit more descriptive on the Kuja/Zidane interaction at the end would be nice.

Let's just remove Necron from the game and call it a day.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I hate endings where a bunch of people just stand around clapping, so Zidane should have found a way to disguise himself and quote Lord Avon at Garnet in private.

And then kidnap her again.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

@NeoCracker

I wasn't saying give them eternal life, but I think they deserve to have a life that matches the longevity of a human being. They were made for war, but as soon as they became aware of what was going on around them they ceased being puppets and started being human. Don't all human beings deserve lead a full life?

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian XIII View Post
    @NeoCracker

I wasn't saying give them eternal life, but I think they deserve to have a life that matches the longevity of a human being. They were made for war, but as soon as they became aware of what was going on around them they ceased being puppets and started being human. Don't all human beings deserve lead a full life?
    Regardless, that still takes away from the symbolic nature of their mortality. Even to extend their life to that of a normal human would take away from that.

It's like calling a Mulligan in poker and getting a better hand. In a serious game, that just doesn't fly.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I dunno, The whole game you worry about the mortality of them. It's like on your mind even at the end as is. If you just show them living longer you can just let a sigh of relief go. I don't think that'd take away much at all.

I am with NeoCracker, it may simply be the fact that I enjoy bittersweet endings, but I think that tying up everything in a nice way filled with sugar and ponies isn't a good way to go about doing things.

There was happiness, and uncertainty at the end, that adds a lot of life to the story in my opinion. And it added a lot of depth to Vivi as well. If you take away Vivi's main conflict (Or even resolve this conflict, as crass as it may sound), you take away a huge part about what made Vivi Vivi.
    Last edited by Dolentrean; 07-27-2009 at 04:12 AM. Reason: I forgot the period. How could one live knowing that the sentance may have been unfinished!
    Oh, did I mention I'm awesome?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I like sugar and ponies though

Can't Vivi just be happy without you bittersweet fun suckers ?

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

^ Same here. I don't think my post was hurting anything, but to each his own.

Back on topic, I think I'd get rid of the Vivi sons or whatever. Adds unnecessary confusion. Also, the scene with Garnet running through the crowd, losing the pendant, etc. (I know it symbolizes her choosing Zidane over her royal blood, but it's too obvious and elongated to be a good metaphor)

I also would've taken out at least one bittersweet ending and made it happy. Amarant is still a loner, Kuja dies, Frately still doesn't remember Freya, Vivi dies, Cid gets stuck with Eiko, so many sad endings to an otherwise upbeat game.

How is Cid getting stuck with Eiko sad?