Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do battles in previous games seem slow in comparison?

Default Do battles in previous games seem slow in comparison?

After playing for a while I've become used to the free-flowing no random battle system of FFXII, that I have gone back to play previous games (VIII, IX, X) and they seem really slow in comparison, and I find it hard to play with the random battles and slower battle speeds.

Has anyone else found this after playing this game?

"This the outro, I was gonna put it at the beginning
    But this is what I say the moment after I'm winning
    Thank you, Ultimate Victory"

The Ultimate Victory - Chamillionaire

Oh god yes. But I've been playing nothing but turn based old school FFs for the past few months, so I'm used to it again. It'll feel nice when I get back to FFXII again.

Its different at the start of FFXII though. The battle speed is insanely slow, and I actually find it more irratating than turn based.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Well yeah, obviously they're slower. FFXII's is real-time fighting and with proper gambits the easy random battles don't even require button-mashing.

I don't really find it hard to play other RPGs, though. I'm still ok with the gameplay of other RPGs, though I did like FFXII's.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    FFXII's is real-time fighting and with proper gambits the easy random battles don't even require button-mashing.
    More than that, FFXII doesn't actually have random battles. This is the main reason other games in the series I find tiresome in comparison.

Blog Entries

try turning battle speed all the way up. but i know what you mean about the random encounters they suck

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I did find them to be noticeably slower because they are. Initially I did miss XII's nice flowing system where you aren't interrupted when you're exploring a new area every five steps or so but I soon got used to random battles again.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Funnily I felt that FFXII was slower and god forbid im not sure why.

Maybe because I hated it's Treasure Chest system.

I'm trying to complete IX at the moment (as i never bothered to finish it before) and the random battles are doing my head in. I love the XII battle system so much
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

I had a feeling the battles were slower in XII rather than some previous installment. They obviously are not,but they felt slow especially later in the game when you get familiar with the ADB. If you ask me, I don't mind random enc or ADB. It's all good to me.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I loved the fast paced battles of FFXII the real time batle system is awesome I never bothered with the gambit system much so I loved how hands on you could get with the battles if you really wanted too. It made some of the later hunts really epic. But lately I restarted & finished FFVIII & just restarted FFVII & learned to love the old turn based system all over again. I can honestly say I love both systems equally!

yes with the exception of x-2
    thats still pretty fast paced i thought

I remember when I first played FF XII I cursed the battle system to anyone who cared (or didn't), saying that it had strayed away from the series.
    When I actually decided to play through all the way through I got into the story and now praise the battle system. Going back to VIII has become quite annoying for me and I find I'm using Enc-None quite a lot.

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Tee View Post
    yes with the exception of x-2
    thats still pretty fast paced i thought
    p much

I hate turn based battles and unfortunately most RPG developers seem to love them. Personally I loved FF12's battle system, and for those who complained that it was too easy...well, ever think about not making it easy? Because it's pretty simple, and with some tweaking you can essentially turn it into the old ATB system (who knows why you'd want to).

Anyways yeah, turn based battles are the reason why I play them on an emulator and use fast forward alot. They're boring and usually require little to no skill save for maybe a boss or two.
    derp

Agreed. The way I see it, me playing,I the turn battle mode to active and the fastest gauge to get most thrill and challenge out of the game as possible..and theres nothing like killing hunts/boss mobs with those settings and fully augmented characters (swiftness)

Articles
    Blog Entries

^ Same here, active battles and fastest speed setting for me. If your strategy's right, it should be more than enough to make your way through the game quickly.

VIII and IX, sure, they feel slower. The ATB pauses as your characters take actions, which the animations are sometimes drawn out and slow.

FFVII, however, had the perfecet mix with "Recommended" mode, where the battle would be free flowing except for especially long animations like summons in which it would stop. Outside of those, it felt like the best implementation of ATB - truly free flowing, fast paced battles.

FFX is turn based, and because I can usually choose my actions quickly and move on to the next character, it moves a little faster for me. XII obviously slightly quicker just due to the way I play it.