Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Default > Expectations

When is the last time you exceeded your own expectations? Did you do some legendary? Or did you surprise your defeatist self and actually do something right?

Heck, post things that you think would exceed our expectations of you, too.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Out of my 15 LP videos I think only 1 is worth a . But I dont't plan on posting it here just yet.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 07-29-2009 at 04:21 AM.

Each English assignment that I have handed this year has turned out much better than I had expected.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Long post is long.

Long post is long, and proud Jess is proud~

In High School, I've always gotten good grades without trying. As a result, I got good grades, but the kind of good grades that got no real recognition because they were just under the top 10% students.

So I was expecting to do average in college. When I was still a music major for a few weeks, I didn't even turn assignments in and I didn't go to class often, such was my hatred of my major and my sadness that Hux was gone. I think if I hadn't switched my major in time, I probably would have failed the semester, I hated my major THAT much. It's funny how college can turn you from an avid singer and music lover to someone whose stomach turns in sickness at the thought of being a music major again. Though luckily...

I switched to English & Education double major (I'm still trying on the Psychology or Philosophy minor!), and then I kicked ass and took names and I got a 3.85 my first semester! I didn't really work that hard in my first semester, but I did establish a few study habits.

But in my second semester, which was harder because I was taking much more advanced courses, I lost all of my friends and was going through a lot of really depressing crap in my life at that point, so all I did for hours a day was study and do work. And I mean really do mean hours. I was literally one point under in two of my classes from getting a full 4.0 in my second semester, one of which was a point taken off for attendance. I dunno if the difficulties in my life during my second semester made it easier or harder for me to get that grade, but I'm proud of myself all of the same. ;o

I exceeded my expectations, and I think I've finally met my parent's because my Mom always told me that if I had actually put effort in during High School, I could have possibly BEEN the valedictorian. I don't think so, personally, but as long as she's happy. xD

Oh, and I'm writing. I cranked out two ideas that I adore for books. They're very different, like apples and oranges. One of them reads more eloquently with a mystery plot and a touch of the supernatural, and the other one is more exciting and has more zestful characters.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've not yet succumbed to the temptations of either hard drugs or suicide

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

ITT: Hux is modest and doesn't post about how he's 150+ pages into his fantastic novel that he's been writing and started this year.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

yesterday?

or I started owning some engineering these last two semesters. That's pretty own <3

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got an internship this summer doing basically exactly what I wanted to do, and ended up writing almost the entire application from the server side to the UI, and it got done on time and it works without any significant bugs. And my coworkers are pretty much awesome.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    So I was expecting to do average in college. When I was still a music major for a few weeks, I didn't even turn assignments in and I didn't go to class often, such was my hatred of my major and my sadness that Hux was gone. I think if I hadn't switched my major in time, I probably would have failed the semester, I hated my major THAT much. It's funny how college can turn you from an avid singer and music lover to someone whose stomach turns in sickness at the thought of being a music major again. Though luckily...
    Music is just about the most brutally difficult thing you can major in as an undergrad. I think law school was notably easier than music school, or at least the brutality of music school prepared me well or inured me to the challenges of law school. I graduated music school with a 3.29 GPA and graduated law school with a 3.92 GPA. So you made a wise choice to switch and it looks like it is paying off.

Speaking of which, I suppose graduating law school with a 3.92 GPA exceeded my own expectations, although I figured I probably could do about that well.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by !eestlinc View Post
    Music is just about the most brutally difficult thing you can major in as an undergrad. I think law school was notably easier than music school, or at least the brutality of music school prepared me well or inured me to the challenges of law school. I graduated music school with a 3.29 GPA and graduated law school with a 3.92 GPA. So you made a wise choice to switch and it looks like it is paying off.

Speaking of which, I suppose graduating law school with a 3.92 GPA exceeded my own expectations, although I figured I probably could do about that well.
    And it's twice as hard if you went in as the only singer who didn't play another instrument, and therefore basically couldn't read music, so you were the class dummy.

That's amazing, elsie!

Ive resisted even touching a cigarette all my life which is good for me considering the area I live in and my family.

I aced a few exams recently (such as biochemistry) which I thought I was seriously going to fail. I was completely shocked when the professor told me I had aced them :o And it felt so gooood ^___________^ I guess I'm the type of person who's always felt that no matter how much you study for an exam, there's never enough time :/ So yeah~

Bigger than a rancor SomethingBig's Avatar

In High School, I've always gotten good grades without trying. As a result, I got good grades, but the kind of good grades that got no real recognition because they were just under the top 10% students.

So I was expecting to do average in college.
    That's actually the story of my senior year of high school into college. In my 4 years in high school, I never studied for more than maybe 2 hours every week, if that, and managed to get straight As with my only Bs ever being in science courses. Ironically, I went into nursing for college. I didn't want to, though. It was the last on the list of things I wanted to do, but it was only there because my parents vehemently pushed it. Like everything else on my list, it helped people, so I decided to give it a shot.

Going into my freshman year, I was terrified about how I'd do because I was such a slacker. My school had one of the most difficult nursing programs in the state and just about every professor told all the freshmen that less than 50% of us would pass the first year. Upper classmen kept telling us to study the chapters in our anatomy class for at the very, very least an hour every night. Long story short, the year came to a close and I finished with a 3.8 GPA, I was on the dean's list both semesters, and I was inducted into 2 different honor societies.

I actually had a long thing typed up after this, but I realized I was tooting my own horn. So instead, here's the For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - version. I found myself quite unhappy with what I was doing and I didn't think I would be happy in the future, despite having job security and a huge paycheck from being a nurse. I switched to English Education and now I'm a happy duck.
    :monster2: One, AH! AH! Two, AH AH! Three, AH AH!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

It was during my last semester of my BA. There's actually two papers I did really well. The first was originally due during St Patty's week. For those of you that are unaware, I work in an Irish pub. I was scheduled to work 5 days that week while still having classes and two papers due that week. I was worried to heck. I asked my prof for an extension which she reluctantly gave me. Anyways, because I handed it in late, I had to wait almost a month after everyone else got their papers back. See the thing is, almost everyone I knew were disappointed with their marks in the paper, like everyone did bad. I was worried since not only did everyone do bad on the paper, but also I chose to argue the harder argument. Why did I choose that? Me being me, means I am contrary. Eventually she e-mails me my mark: 19/20. Though she did not agree to my conclusion I argued strongly for it. As an aside my other paper due that week got a really good mark too. Odd since I was worried about my section on Paul Ricoeur which turned out to be well done, despite me thinking I had no idea what I was talking about.

As for my other class that semester. It was basic a high level undergrad seminar. The thing is the only undergrads in the class were me and my friend. The two other students were a PhD candidate (who TA'd another class I was in) and a Master's student. Not to mention one of my other profs used to attend the class. TALK ABOUT INTIMIDATING. The prof was also a well known Japanese scholar. :x So basically our mark in his class was attendance and our final paper. My final paper was...well interesting? I thought it was horrible x-x; I ended the despite that, I ended the class with an A (A is the highest mark at the university since it was on a 4.0 scale, not a 4.3 one).

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got a First in my BA in International Relations and Politics. I didn't get it by slacking but, at the same time, I know people who did put in a good deal more work than me who came out with lower grades.

(And I won't lie, I was pleased as punch about two people who didn't do as well as me. )