Thread: Scary Movie Night

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    The Thing is pretty much the definitive study of paranoia and horror. But then I would recommend it for any movie night, even a girl's rom-com.
    I was very skeptical about The Thing at first, it looked so gross and scary! But Hux made me watch it and although I did squeal a bit I have to admit that he's right about how great it is.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Barbie and the [insert random phrase here] >_<

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    The Descent seems to have gotten a lot of recommendations here. The film was alright, but nothing special (the ending is was great though). I wonder why, out of all the horror movies out there, that The Descent is the one people seem to be picking. Odd.
    It didn't scare me that much, and it's not really like one of my favorites or anything. I just have this feeling that it's going to be the kind of thing that will scare the pants off of Jojo, which I figured was the goal.

Fully endorsing the people who mentioned The Thing and The Descent. Both are excellent. The Exorcist is worthy of a mention too.
    I will never be a memory.

Ha! Here's a good one that just came into my head, pity it's often not heard of because it's an excellent film (imho) that's creepy as hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_Horizon_(film)

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    I was very skeptical about The Thing at first, it looked so gross and scary! But Hux made me watch it and although I did squeal a bit I have to admit that he's right about how great it is.
    I don't care if she thinks it's great or not. I want her to be terrified. Hsu knows what's up.

It seems I will have a fair amount of research to do this weekend.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    I don't care if she thinks it's great or not. I want her to be terrified. Hsu knows what's up.

It seems I will have a fair amount of research to do this weekend.
    Oh man, no dude, she's lying through her teeth. She was pretty much constantly hiding, it scared her less. She's just trying to be too for school right here.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

While scaring Rye is not exactly much of an accomplishment, neither is scaring Jojo, so I'll add The Thing to list of considerations.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

... That little dingleberry hacked my EoFF. Ban him at once! I have never watched The Thing - I'm far too terrified to. I never will watch it! >:[

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also yeah even the trailer is too scary for her. Which is actually really very lame but does fit the criteria!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Ringu and Ju-On: The Grudge series, the ORIGINAL japanese versions, the American remakes were laughable.
    I've seen the Japanese and American versions of both, and the Japanese versions were anything but creepy or scary. The American versions weren't amazing, but I'd put them both marginally ahead of the Japanese originals in scare factor. I still wouldn't recommend either though.

For that matter, if you're looking to scare her (and assuming she is a big wuss), then movies like The Others, Saw, Silent Hill or The Sixth Sense may work, but I didn't find any of them that scary (then again, I don't really tend to find many movies scary. And Silent Hill is laughable by the time they get to the church). I'd go with classics like The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, Nightmare on Elm Street, or Halloween, instead. The Descent is decent as people mentioned, though I didn't find it very scary either. Also, a recent one that actually was good and pretty creepy was The Strangers. The first half is better than the second since the anticipation is always scarier than the payoff, but it was still the closest I've seen to a movie actually creeping me out.

Suspiria!!!!

If Disney did a horror movie, it would be Suspiria. The usage of color in that movie is gold.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Hm, let's see...

Audition - Extremely slow in the beginning, but catches up towards the end. I'm not entirely sure if the climax on the film saved it from being completely pointless and not worthwhile, but needless to say, Takeshi Miike does a great job at striking fear in the hearts and minds of viewers.

Psycho (The Original) - Has always been one of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock films; if not my number one fav. Like the aforementioned film, it has a twist which most of you probably know by now. I knew before watching this film as to what that twist was, and it was still great. It has a lot of symbolism too--it's not just a bunch of scripted words being acted out. The performances by Anthony Perkins and Vera Miles are fantastic as well.

The Unknown - Definitely one of Lon Chaney's best performances. Unlike many silent film stars, he doesn't go over the top. Instead his performance as a disgruntled man with no arms is both believable and subtle. Lon Chaney is known for playing characters like Hunchback of Norte Dame (he did his own make-up by the way). Though tbh, he looks just as scary without the make-up. This tale has a lot of twists and turns that can be quite shocking. Although some people can see the whole arm thing as funny, this film is actually pretty dark. However, if you're one of those people who don't like movies without any vocals or color in it, then don't watch.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - Pretty disturbing film. The set is amazing. I think this is where Tim Burton got his surrealist set designs from. This film is also silent, but I'm kinda glad. I'd be afraid to know what most of the creepy looking characters sound like in this film.

Army of Darkness - Probably my favorite out of the Evil Dead trilogy. It combines hilarity with horror. Always a bonus. Plus you gotta love the chin. I liked how it appeared to be stop motion they were using for the skeletons. It made them all choppy and weird. The skeletons one-liners were priceless. But don't be fooled by the comedy, it definitely has it's frightening moments.

The original Night of the Living Dead and Nosferatu are also honorable mentions. Classic horror films right there. I didn't mind the remake for Night of the Living Dead though.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    The original Night of the Living Dead and Nosferatu are also honorable mentions. Classic horror films right there. I didn't mind the remake for Night of the Living Dead though.
    These two are freaky in a way that I don't think will ever be able to be recreated on modern celluloid. Count Orlock is the goddamn stuff of nightmares on his own. The light work in the original Night made the zombies more terrifying than any other movie I've seen featuring them - rather than focus on the details, a lot of the time you just see these shambling, white figures off in the distance against a totally black night. It's effective and wonderful.

The Evil Dead series were effing hilarious but all that comedy outshines the horror.

Though when I was little those "chase" scenes with Ash running from a Deadite and you seeing from the Deadites perspective was pretty creepy the first time you see it.

Groovy.