Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Scary Movie Night

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    My issues with the movie have nothing to do with the games, since the movie is what led me to the games. The behavior of one of the characters in the beginning is unbelievably reckless and stupid. The ending is just overkill. That being said, the middle passages of the film are rather brilliant at evoking the three worlds and the inhabitants.
    I'm not really expecting a moving plot from most/all of these films.
    Carrie is both moving and scary. There are some good horrors with great plot. The Others immediately comes to mind. The Orphanage, stuff like that but yeah, most of them are just cheap thrills
    I will never be a memory.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm not against cheap thrills mind you. But the movies that I return to time and time again usually have something more, either greatness or at least something that resonates with me deeply.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien View Post
    Misery is my favourite scary movie.

This is probably one of the few Stephen King based movies that I actually enjoyed. Kathy Bates' performance is epic.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Ok, I have The Descent and The Mist downloaded. New suggestions may be considered, but it looks like we already have our choices for Friday night. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Vodka and scary movies. Party time!

You totally need to download Army Of Darkness if you want it to be a night of scare and laughs.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

A friend of mine recommended Army of Darkness to me, but we determined that it wasn't really scary enough for my purposes. The whole point of Scary Movie Night is simply to scare the hell out of Jojo. I think the two movies I currently have should be pretty good in that sense.

I love all of those movies. o.o
    And the Shining is so good. It's freaking creepy.

I really liked Silent Hill, even though it wasn't just like the game.
    (I wasn't too disappointed. /: )

Hmmm... Watch the Exorcist. /:

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Only after you have them downloaded do I remember that I've seen Descent before, I think If it's what I'm thinking of the trailers for it made it seem really awesome but then later as I watched it I was let down. This movie will do everything you could hope for as far as scaring Jojee though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

So we watched The Descent first. It was ok. It was good for last night's purposes because it sure freaked Jojo out; she sobered up a bit because she was too terrified to move to get her drink for the last hour or so of the movie. Otherwise, it did not seem noteworthy. It was pretty lame plot-wise and the "scary" stuff was just monsters jumping out of shadows. I am far from the bravest person in the world when it comes to horror movies, but I found myself trying to liven up the events with my witty commentary.

Then we watched The Mist, which Jojo saw all of 5 minutes of before falling asleep. Not scary at all. I would more consider this some sort of fantasy/thriller, maybe, but even the thrills were pretty lame. I don't know about the book, but the writing of the movie was pretty terrible and a lot of the plot events seemed very forced and fake. They tell you what the mist is in like one sentence with no build up and then don't mention it again. The ending was fairly interesting and unexpected, but did not come close to saving the movie. I found myself being bored through parts of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    So we watched The Descent first. It was ok. It was good for last night's purposes because it sure freaked Jojo out; she sobered up a bit because she was too terrified to move to get her drink for the last hour or so of the movie. Otherwise, it did not seem noteworthy. It was pretty lame plot-wise and the "scary" stuff was just monsters jumping out of shadows. I am far from the bravest person in the world when it comes to horror movies, but I found myself trying to liven up the events with my witty commentary.

Then we watched The Mist, which Jojo saw all of 5 minutes of before falling asleep. Not scary at all. I would more consider this some sort of fantasy/thriller, maybe, but even the thrills were pretty lame. I don't know about the book, but the writing of the movie was pretty terrible and a lot of the plot events seemed very forced and fake. They tell you what the mist is in like one sentence with no build up and then don't mention it again. The ending was fairly interesting and unexpected, but did not come close to saving the movie. I found myself being bored through parts of it.
    Well you have my apologies, I thought both movies were excellent and I recommended them many times. What do you look for in a horror? Maybe Friday the 13th is more to your liking? Not an insult as I quite like Jason too but what kind of horrors do you like?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Don't worry about his opinions. His taste sucks.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I don't generally watch horror movies because the lack of an engaging plot bores me. The Mist had potential for that, I just think the movie did a poor job with it (also, why can't any of the massive freakin' monsters break glass? Or crush a car?). The Descent didn't even bother with a plot; the entire story line could be recounted in a paragraph and you wouldn't miss anything. I didn't even know who most of the people were throughout the movie because character development was nonexistent. But that was ok, I wanted that sort of thing for tonight - a scary movie just for the sake of being scary.

The only horror movie I really enjoyed was the original The Shining (someone mentioned The Sixth Sense earlier in this thread which was also excellent, but I don't consider it horror, more like just a somewhat spooky drama).

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I also haven't seen an original The Shining yet but I have read the book.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I have not read the book, though I want to at some point. The movie was very well done with Jack Nicholson acting incredibly as usual, an engaging plot that keeps you on your toes, and a jaw-dropping ending. If more horror/thriller films were like it I would watch more of the genre.

Kubrick is the reason the Shining was so good. If more great directors did horror we'd have more great horrors. Instead we get Michael Bay buying the rights to old horrors and letting his friends remake them. God I hate remakes (apart from The Thing ). The Fog was probably the worst remake ever.