Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dark Cloud??

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

I played Dark Cloud when it first came out. I thought it was kinda dumb at first (that stupid cat SHUT UP) but it eventually grew on me. I just hated the fact that I had to switch characters everytime I ran into something that blocked my path. I used the main guy and Osmond, I couldn't be bothered to build up the weapons for everyone.

Dark Cloud 2 was alot of fun while I had it, but I only got maybe halfway through and got rid of it for some reason that I no longer recall.

protip: DC1 is like 5USD used and DC2 around 12-15
    derp

Articles
    Blog Entries

Both underatted games. Hinterland reminds me of it, it's part Action-RPG, part Simcity, and both elements go well enough together to not feel too gimmicky. The Dark Cloud series was great, but the city-building felt like it was missing something, still great, though.

Dark Cloud 2/Chronicle was best, though. A rich world and suprisingly poignant story, that wowes you with its immersive and whimsical atmosphere rather than over-the-top high-end dull gray post-apocalyptic landscape. Oh, and the sheer amount of minigames are amazing. They have fishing, folf, fish racing, photography, city-building, racing, hide-and-seek, ridepod customization, monster form creating, inventing, and fish BREEDING, too.

Few games have made me clock in so many hours into it, but Dark Cloud 2 did. It is second only to Baldur's Gate II in sheer hours I've invested doing random crap. High suggest these games.

Quote Originally Posted by Rase View Post
    How has Dreddz not seen this? IIRC he loves these games.
    Nothing much to say that already hasn't been said really. I must have spent over 100 hours on Dark Chronicle and I reckon only 50 of those hours were me doing anything productive. The rest of the time I was excessively creating the towns to my satisfaction even though it wasn't necessary.

Level-5 really need to hurry up with Dark Cloud 3. There is really nothing else like these games.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

!!

Is there a Dark Cloud 3 in the works, or is it just wishful thinking?

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Momiji View Post
    !!

Is there a Dark Cloud 3 in the works, or is it just wishful thinking?
    There were rumors that it was going to be released in Japan around March 2009 and that production was "confirmed" but I haven't heard anything on it since last year. Did a quick google and apparently nobody else has either.

So a sequel is somewhat likely, just...not anytime soon I'm guessing.
    derp

Some Italian Playstation Mag apparantly hinted at the possibility of a third title in the series. And similer to every other rumour taken from a foreign mag, people took it as though it was 100% confirmed. Heck, I think even I did for a little while.

At the moment its pretty much confirmed that Level-5 are working on a White Knight Chronicles sequel. So its very unlikely we'll hear anything about Dark Cloud 3 until 2011. Although they could easily make the title for a handheld like the DS or something. I could see the town building working pretty well using the DS stylus.

The first Dark Cloud was okay, but the second one was just magical.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Although they could easily make the title for a handheld like the DS or something. I could see the town building working pretty well using the DS stylus.
    I like that idea! I'd buy it.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My dad decided to get me Dark Cloud one day. I had never heard of it before then, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I hated going through the dungeon and the extremely long introduction FMV in the beginning. I ended up selling the game to EB Games. Not a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    Both underatted games.
    Not so much, considering the first one had a Greatest Hits label when I got it.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Dark Cloud 2 was great, I loved the characters, the story, the world design. The only imbalance I found was I tended to rely mainly on the robot when dungeon crawling, especially the second playthrough where I could import some end game pictures and creature a devastating robot early on. The monster transformations never worked as well for me.

The time traveling aspects were done well, and I liked being able to see the future city spring up in response to your sim city tinkering. Best ally is Pau by far. Gotta love those moon bunnies!