Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You must be this hurt to use

There's no doubt that the Auto-'s are superior, but that's exactly the point of the SOS's. They're easier to obtain and available earlier, in exchange for being not as good.

lomas de chapultepec Recognized Member eestlinc's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the point is that when you unexpected;ly find yourself at low health, the bonus comes in and helps you survive. I guess this would be useful if you get your ass kicked a lot. But I don't think anyone intentionally keeps low health to activate the bonuses.

Um, in FF X, SOS haste is useless, for the simple fact I see no reason not to haste everyone long before their HP is so low, since you get Haste relatively early.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Only with the abilities in Chrono Trigger. Otherwise I pretty much ignore them.

FFXI has quite a bit of equipment that has latent effects when you sub a certain subjob, or when your health is in the yellow.

Hercules Ring gives Regen and Refresh if you're below 50% HP, and there are some rings and necklaces that give Magic Attack Bonus when HP is at a certain percentage. Etc.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Um, in FF X, SOS haste is useless, for the simple fact I see no reason not to haste everyone long before their HP is so low, since you get Haste relatively early.
    Not nessecerially. One of the biggest advantages is that should the enemy cast Dispel or Slow on you, your casted Haste is gone. Not so for SOS Haste. In fact, SOS Haste even allows you to avoid the Slow (and associated loss of Haste) inflicted by Evrae's Stone Gaze (in cases where you're immune to Petrify), which Slowproof/Ribbon will not protect you against. This is a lifesaver if SOS Haste gives you that extra turn you need to get your health back up.

It it's dispelled I see no reason to just re-cast it. Seems like the far superior option to waiting for your health to drop to get it back.

Though I can see the use against Evrae now that you mention it, though I can't see where else it would be useful. Overall, SOS is still mostly useless, with the exception of a couple instances.

Nothing's stopping you from also casting it when your HP is high. However, having it automatically once it gets low is a lifesaver in some cases.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When it comes to the defensive abilities like SOS stuff, I prefer it in the Tactics series cause its much more manageable. I just never saw the use in the main series cause ATB sometimes gets in the way. X might have been able to pull it off but the game was hardly difficult enough to warrant a need for the abilites, same can be said of FFV and VI.

Blog Entries

I hardley ever use them but they can come in handy for fast enemies to keep you allive that extra turn to heal them but usally i try and keep healed anyways
    but if i remember correctly the are pretty good in FFVI cause the remain in effect even after you heal back up