Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Policy on Walkthroughs

I have one of these now Nominus Experse's Avatar

heheheheheheh
    Last edited by Nominus Experse; 03-17-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

I never use a walkthrough until I beat the game at least once, even then I only use them sparingly.

edit: no wait actually I used one for FF12 but only to see Yiazmat's stats out of curiosity and how to get a certain chest in Pharos because it was driving me crazy.
    derp

i avoid walkthroughs first time, most contain spoilers, but i buy Strategy Guides... i use the bestiary sometimes, i usualy hope for maps because that's what i really play my games by, and i ignore the so-called winning strategies since they never work for me and i have better success with my strategies that fit my playstyle...
    i often make 2 saves for an area 1 save for the begining of the area and 1 for saving during the area so when i finish an area i'll check the walkthrough, if i missed something critical or that can't be obtained later i'll go back to the beginning area save and start over... walkthroughs are for review after the fact...

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Codes on the otherhand, that's a different story, I personally have zero tolerance for code users.
    I only used to use codes in GTA games for fun, but have since then decided that codes are no longer acceptable

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

codes that are ingame i have no problem with, but cheat devices are uncool untill you beat it at least once legitimately...

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Like a bunch a people here it varies from game to game. I'd like to see someone grab all 108 stars without one. You'd have to revisit every place with every team combination after every story event to make sure. Those are the only games I use a walkthrough the entire thing.

Everything else I'll use them if I'm totally stuck and CBA to figure it out on my own but that's usually for block puzzles. I'm also very stubborn about bosses. I won't go to a walkthrough for a boss until it's beaten my self worth like my little people on the TV.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I use walkthroughs only if I can't figure something out. Otherwise, I leave them alone.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

When either my husband or myself resort to a walkthrough it's a huge deal and we mock the failed one unmercifully about it. Walkthroughs are for cheaters and losers!

Unless you read it after you've played or the second time you're playing, then it's fine.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I wrote my own FAQ for Silent Hill Origins, kind of: it was basically just a checklist of what items and enemies you could find in every room at any given time (factoring in respawns and the like). And I really only made it so I would never (more than once) have to be caught off-guard by monsters that appear right in front of you and scream horrifically as soon as you enter a room.

I have no problem quickly consulting a FAQ or Walkthrough if something in a game is just evading my grasp for some reason, or if I think I'm doing it right but dunno and want to make sure.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingBig View Post
    I have one friend who takes it to the extreme and outright refuses to even glance at a walkthrough while playing a game.
    >>> I used to have that policy too, but then I realized that my free time is a precious thing..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Codes on the otherhand, that's a different story, I personally have zero tolerance for code users.
    Are you the ultimate authority on how games should be enjoyed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kishi
    I wrote my own FAQ for Silent Hill Origins, kind of: it was basically just a checklist of what items and enemies you could find in every room at any given time (factoring in respawns and the like). And I really only made it so I would never (more than once) have to be caught off-guard by monsters that appear right in front of you and scream horrifically as soon as you enter a room.
    Now I'm picturing Kishi screaming like a little girl caught in his tentacles. :yamete:

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Are you the ultimate authority on how games should be enjoyed?

Yes.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most walkthrough I read where free with magazines, so I read them before I bought most games (most of them made me buy the games) but I only used them the first go, and what's good is that they didn't spoil. They where very careful about what they mentioned (this includes FFVII - However I did eventually get a hold of some FFVII walkthroughs that did spoil that scene, but that was after I had seen it so I didn't mind).

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Unless I truly, madly, deeply need a walkthrough on my first playthrough I will avoid one. I'd rather sort things out for myself first time around. On subsequent attempts at the game, I don't have much of a problem using one if it's to remind myself of how to do something or to see if I missed anything first time around. It's not something I do regularly though.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.