Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good/Bad English Voices

Default Good/Bad English Voices

So which voices do you think they did a great job on, and which do you think were a disappointment? IMO...

Good:

• Firion
    • Cloud of Darkness
    • Mateus
    • Golbez

Bad:

• Garland
    • Terra
    • Exdeath
    • Kefka

The ones I put down as bad, I didn't really like in Japanese either. I'm kind of indifferent to the voices I didn't mention.

Quote Originally Posted by felfenix View Post
    So which voices do you think they did a great job on, and which do you think were a disappointment? IMO...

Good:

• Firion
    • Cloud of Darkness
    • Mateus
    • Golbez

Bad:

• Garland
    • Terra
    • Exdeath
    • Kefka

The ones I put down as bad, I didn't really like in Japanese either. I'm kind of indifferent to the voices I didn't mention.

Your good list is awesome, your bad list sucks.

Garland is CHRISTOPHER SABAT for god sake, terra was fitting, Exdeath again, not the best but still pretty damn good, and Kefka was excellent.

So far I haven't heard any bad english voices, though I admit I haven't heard all of them yet, only the characters in the demo.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    So far I haven't heard any bad english voices, though I admit I haven't heard all of them yet, only the characters in the demo.
    Everyweek, IGN and Gamespy release videos of the Heroes and Villains, respectively. You can hear the english voices there.

Anyway, I really like Garland, Bartz, Firion, and WoL's voices. All the others are just pretty average for me (none of them seem really bad).

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only listened to a few so far. I'm still not happy with Cloud's VA. Some of his attack cries almost sound bored. Squall's is good, I actually like Zidane's since I never liked his Japanese counterpart. I like Kefka, its not what I would have done but its better than I thought it was going to be. I don't like Terra's sounds a wee bit too chipper and optimistic for the character. I like CoD's but I hate the Onion Knight. Sephiroth's is good.

I still need to hear the rest, I'm mostly concerned about how Kuja came out as he was the other one I felt could easily be screwed up.

I'm SO dissapointed about Kuja's english voice >=(
    They really KILLED the character...
    I hate when he says "Here comes the Finale" on his Ex burst D: ...It's so... I don't find the right word... D: ...so pathetic D:!
    That voice actor killed all the poetry, the arrogance and the sensuality of Kuja D: ...

I'm so angry about it >=( ...

And what is worst is that they condemned Kuja with this... cause if they make some game or movie (lol, i don't think so, but I say it anyways... movie...xD) in the future, is obvious that Kuja will have the same voice actor ¬¬' ...

How could they Kill one of the best villains =( ...It's not Kuja, it's like a Goblin or some stupid low level rat talking >=( ...

='(

If I could make a complaint to Square about Kuja's death, I would do it xD...
    It's so sad
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I really wish I could play it with the Japanese voices, because that was the biggest draw for me originally--all my anime voice actors playing roles in the game. Don't care much for the Final Fantasy Characters, just wanted my seiyuu :P

I haven't noticed any particularly bad performances, but I always laugh when I hear Johnny Yong Bosch (Firion in Dissidia) in an anime or game.

Kuja wasn't killed by the VA, from what little I've seen, he was killed by Dialogue. He comes across as a freaking Zidane obsessed Prissy Boy.

Mind you, I've only come across Kuja in part of Squalls story, which is one scene. So I can't gauge much on, but here are my thoughts. (SPOILER)Alright, he fights squall, hoping to his Zidane's 'Friend' as bait, though when Sqaull wins the fight, he determines Kuja is fairly weak. Kuja says he was just giving up on Squall, for Zidane wouldn't chase after him. If he's right, he just comes across as pathetic and stupid. If Squall was right, he comes across as Pathetic, stupid, AND weak. There isnt' really much hope for Kuja appealing to me in this game.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't see any problems with any of the characters' voices; they all fit the characters pretty well.

The only issue I had was with Cloud's voice actor, during some lines in the story he'd pause for a second before continuing his sentence, it sounds really odd. He also sounds fairly monotone which is a shame since Steve Burton fits Cloud really well and can do a lot better; guess they didn't pay him enough or something lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    I don't see any problems with any of the characters' voices; they all fit the characters pretty well.

The only issue I had was with Cloud's voice actor, during some lines in the story he'd pause for a second before continuing his sentence, it sounds really odd. He also sounds fairly monotone which is a shame since Steve Burton fits Cloud really well and can do a lot better; guess they didn't pay him enough or something lol.
    You can probably thank Kingdom Hearts for that, it was Burtons first role as Cloud, and because Nomura loves making every FF male a total shut-in, Burton probably just adapted that way of speaking for Cloud.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll second Cloud's VA not doing a very good job for this game. He sounds so bored and monotone, even when he's using attacks. I've been very happy with all of the villains except for maybe the CoD as she sometimes sounds like she's doing a cold read of the script. I also laugh when I hear Johnny Yong Bosch as Firion cause I keep thinking "oh crap Vash the Stampede is here!" I also laugh when I hear Kefka's VA cause he played Allen in Xenosaga and also plays Kakashi in Naruto, not to mention he's the narrator for most of those Japanese obstacle course shows.

Kuja's voice is rather fitting and though the scene with Squall was pretty bad, the fact Kuja is a broken SOB sorta makes up for it... Remember they are basing some parts of the story on minor parts, I mean Golbez was a nice guy for like two minutes of IV's plot and yet they went with that part of him to portray the character when he was a major asshole for the majority of IV's plot. Kuja also had a point in IX's plot he became obsessed with proving he's better than Zidane since Zidane was created to replace him.

Terra's voice works for me sometimes and other times I feel she sounds a bit too cheerful. She's just not melancholic enough for me sometimes but she has grown on me. Zidane's voice also grew on me. I'm also embarrassed to learn that I've been mispronouncing Zidane and Ultimacia's names. :sweatdrop:

Default Out of Character (Spoilers Within)

He wants to prove he was better then Zidane yes, but he never, at any point in FF IX, sounded anywhere near that obsessed with him.

Or that stupid.

...And lets not forget pathetic.

Edit: Theres also a scene you get with Kuja upon finishing Firions Story, albeit its not related really.

I swear, they are doing everything they can to make Kuja look stupid, like stupid in the head.

(SPOILER) Garland seems to tell Kuja he's outsmarting himself, and Kuja gets all pissy. I mean really, WTF?
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 08-30-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't see Kuja being too out of character really. Maybe its just me. He always seemed flamboyant and intolerable of criticism. I still don't see how he's stupid.

I bet you loved Ulti telling him her mind lol

I was kinda hoping they would use some voices we already know are good...like FF:ACs sephy and cloud, squall seems good to me, onion knight and zidane they did a good job making them still sound younger lol, and tidus.....anything other than what they used in the game is ok by me

CoDs just doesnt seem to fit it to me idk why though the Emp is good...I thought they would use some 9yr old girl for him like they usually do, Kefkas keeps the insanity thing going from my POV

Quote Originally Posted by Masamunemaster View Post
    I bet you loved Ulti telling him her mind lol

I was kinda hoping they would use some voices we already know are good...like FF:ACs sephy and cloud, squall seems good to me, onion knight and zidane they did a good job making them still sound younger lol, and tidus.....anything other than what they used in the game is ok by me

CoDs just doesnt seem to fit it to me idk why though the Emp is good...I thought they would use some 9yr old girl for him like they usually do, Kefkas keeps the insanity thing going from my POV

Anyone wanna tell him or should I?