Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sub sub sub sub sub genres

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    The funniest thing about Metal subgenres is that Metal is a subgenre in tiself. =/
    True.

Take Black Sabbath for example, if they were around today instead of thirty years ago they wouldn't be called metal, they'd be called doom metal.

@NeoCracker: Yeah I haven't listened to all their stuff but I do have all their albums...I just got alot of music to go through since I have tens of thousands of songs and I plan on listening to all of them. But I've really been on an Electric Wizard kick lately.

@Avarice-ness: Yeah of course but I'm talking about the post this and core that, or basing genres off of an area that the band is from rather than the style (desert rock or Cali punk or southern doom for examples)
    Last edited by The Space Pope; 08-03-2009 at 12:29 AM.
    derp

(。◕‿‿◕。) Recognized Member Jojee's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know the difference between all these sub-genres. All I know is that I typically listen to alternative and rock. Or alternative rock. o_o

Wat
    is
    going
    on
    wtf
    rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    Power metal..

and Death Metal..

are completely different..

and Death Metal AND power metal...

are completely different from Industrial metal.

That is a great example of why we have sub genres.

We have subgenre's to better pinpoint the TYPE of music within a certain genre. It's like when someone says "do you like metal" and they say yes, they prolly aren't saying yes to liking all metal, so then the person says "What kind of metal"?
    Yes, but the point is a lot of times the sub genres don't even make sense to be there.

FOr example.

You have Doom Metal, Doom Sludge, Death Doom, Doom Core, and at least 2 0r three more variations of Doom Metal alone.

There comes a point the madness must end.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Space Pope is awesome now xD!

I wont lie, I am very biased towards my music.

What I love: Rock/Metal/Gothic/J-music

What I hate: Rap/Grime/RnB/Most forms of Pop (there are VERY few exceptions)

And while the sub genres can get out of hand (espcially in Metal) it is an interesting way to divide it.

For me though, i'll listen to anything that classifies as Metal, whether it's Doom Metal, Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, Speed Metal, even Black Metal (which is loosely tied to Doom Metal).

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarice-ness View Post
    Power metal..

and Death Metal..

are completely different..

and Death Metal AND power metal...

are completely different from Industrial metal.

That is a great example of why we have sub genres.

We have subgenre's to better pinpoint the TYPE of music within a certain genre. It's like when someone says "do you like metal" and they say yes, they prolly aren't saying yes to liking all metal, so then the person says "What kind of metal"?
    Yes, but the point is a lot of times the sub genres don't even make sense to be there.

FOr example.

You have Doom Metal, Doom Sludge, Death Doom, Doom Core, and at least 2 0r three more variations of Doom Metal alone.

There comes a point the madness must end.

Yeah that makes sense. Usually those are because the bands want to be more different. They fit into a normal sub genre but they're like "OH HAY WE DO THINGS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT, SO WE'RE NOT LIKE THEM, EVEN THOUGH IF YOU PLAYED OUR MUSIC SIDE BY SIDE YOU COULDN'T TELL A DIFFERENCE."

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Labels can really get in the way and stop people from getting creative. Also, for some reason it almost always creates so called Genre Whores who will go absolute ape on you if you state that a band is a certain genre.

I agree that they are needed to a certain degree because obviously as humans we have to label things, but it gets ridiculous when start dividing one genre like say Drum & Bass, into 20 different genres.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Neel once told me that he thought genres were pretty useless as far as classifying music went and he preferred to organize his library by mood. I think it's a pretty good idea. Music seems to fit in with mood really well (dancing, parties, emoing out).

I mean, junglecore, hardcore, happy hardcore, they're all this fast-beat synthesized mix stuff, but they make you feel different. I think the difference between them is mostly BPM, but I think happy hardcore is a step in the right direction, being named after a feeling than a technique.

Basically, sub-genres exist only for the purpose of making it easier for music geeks to talk to each other. Trying to explain them to anyone outside the loop is pointless (which is obvious to anyone who has ever tried >.>).

However, between music nerds, sub-genres are an incredible help to anyone trying to properly describe a new band he/she has found. They provide implicit comparisons to other bands, and they do this quickly and efficiently... Of course, only to people in the loop. Again, people trying to explain sub-genres to the average passerby are pompous fools.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Guru View Post
    Basically, sub-genres exist only for the purpose of making it easier for music geeks to talk to each other. Trying to explain them to anyone outside the loop is pointless (which is obvious to anyone who has ever tried >.>).

However, between music nerds, sub-genres are an incredible help to anyone trying to properly describe a new band he/she has found. They provide implicit comparisons to other bands, and they do this quickly and efficiently... Of course, only to people in the loop. Again, people trying to explain sub-genres to the average passerby are pompous fools.
    Yes, your right, it helps people. But those same people, or mabye the group next door will argue with each other whether a specific group is 'Intelligent Drum & Bass' or 'Liquid Funk' for hours on end. It gets pointless sometimes.

On another note, I challenge someone to categorise The Prodigy into one sub genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Yes, your right, it helps people. But those same people, or mabye the group next door will argue with each other whether a specific group is 'Intelligent Drum & Bass' or 'Liquid Funk' for hours on end. It gets pointless sometimes.

On another note, I challenge someone to categorise The Prodigy into one sub genre.
    Very true. Of course, some actually enjoy it >.>

Never heard of the Prodigy. I will immediately look him/her/them up!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Guru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post

Very true. Of course, some actually enjoy it >.>

Never heard of the Prodigy. I will immediately look him/her/them up!
    :Eek::Eek::Eek:
    For real? DAMN your missing something (if your into that sort of music anyway).

Here are some songs, some that I really like and some others just to demonstrate how varied they get.
    YouTube - The Prodigy 'Warrior's Dance'
    YouTube - The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die [HQ] High Quality Sound
    YouTube - Breathe
    YouTube - Prodigy - Hot Ride
    YouTube - The Prodigy - Diesel Power
    YouTube - The Prodigy Spitfire (High Quality)
    Last edited by Croyles; 08-05-2009 at 01:20 AM.

Hm. Looked them up, I like. However, I can't complete your challenge; although I like techno/electronica, I've never been into it as much as 80's alternative or 90's indie.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Thats the thing, you cant even label them as techno. You could probably label individual songs as techno or hardcore or whatever, but the group as a whole is pretty much impossible to categorise.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

idm is the stupidest name for a genre ever
    but i still love it