Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Map

Default World Map

Looking over all the FF World Maps, I started liking FF VII's the most. In a sense, it looks more natural then others.

First off, it is made so one continent isn't overlapping the edge to the otherside, which is good for aesthitic feel, I believe thats the way to word it.

Next up, it isn't set up to be semetrical, which is what I think gives it the more natural feel to it. As much as I like the IX map, it seems a little odd that there is a continent or mass of Islands at each corner of the map, coming off as though it was done like that just to make it orderly, which is something FF VII"s didn't have to do to look like a polished Map.

I know, weird, I'm praising FF VII for something it did better then IX...

Feel free to discuss your favorite FF Overworld Maps.
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 08-03-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I love FFIII's world because it has a map within a map (as well as an underwater map), and all of them are positively riddled with secret mini-dungeons, hidden villages, byways for various vehicles, submarine passageways, and all the other things that make exploring its own reward.

I like FFIX's map for similar reasons, and especially for its use of three-dimensional topography. I love how Dali is seated on a cliffside, for example, as well as all the nameless, miscellaneous valleys and island chains you happen to navigate while filling out the extended Chocobo side-quest. There's something interesting everywhere--even in the middle of the ocean.

I admire FFV for its two separate worlds, and how their layouts are affected when they merge. Previously unaccessible locations now lie out in the open, whereas others that could formerly be reached with a jaunt through the forest are now ensconced within winding mountains and harsh deserts. I also like how the mountains in Galuf's world serve as a throwback to the white crags in FFI and II, as opposed to the brown conical mountains found in FFIII and onward. Just check it.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I agree with Kishi about the FFIII and FFV maps. I remember both those revelations, the world within a world and the two worlds that merge into one, blew me away when I first got to those stages in the game. Pretty great twists.

Might be an unorthodox choice because it's not really a world map, but I quite liked FFXII's actually. I enjoyed how various locations joined together in ways that you wouldn't know about until you explored them and also how it's only by doing the exploring that you get a full idea of what the world is like. That and the environments themselves were on the whole quite nice to look at and it made exploring that bit more enjoyable, I felt.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Wow, I wasn't even considering the merging of maps and a map with in a map when I made this thread, I was just thinking about how aesthetically pleasing they were.

When you look into things like what Kishi and Heath bring up, it definitely adds to the awesome of those two maps.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I like FFVII's map because the northern continent kind of looks like a Chocobo.

Also, this bridge rocks:

FFIII and FFVIII's maps are almost identical !!!!

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

If by "almost identical" you mean "vaguely, generally similar."

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I have a burn that looks vaguely, generally similar to the Esthar continent. But my favourite world map is probably IX, because of, like Kishi mentioned, the whole 3-D topography thing.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I agree that FF7's map is pretty cool looking. Though Heath reminded me that I had the most fun exploring in FF12. Every time I entered a new area I would take the time to go all around it and discover every niche and treasure.

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

My only problem with FFXII's world is that there's a jungle right next to a snowy mountain area. There's not even a sudden change in elevation. Just...jungle, snow.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Obviously the snow is magical, Kishi. Or maybe the jungle is. Regardless, something's magical!

If by "almost identical" you mean "vaguely, generally similar."
    no no
    there EXACTLY the same
    well nearly

Meh, I always found FFIX's World Map the most appealing.

Well if we're talking about world maps rather than world than 9 is my favorite as well.

I like FFIX's as well, though I thought the map within a map and the overlap maps were pretty sweet. And the time-lapsed map in FFVI, that was pretty cool too. Though if we can forget for a moment that it's not FF, Chrono Trigger definitely wins my vote.

Also, waiting for someone to link to that theory on the FF Wiki that FFVIII is a sequel to FFIII....