Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Map

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just named them in a few seconds, so I'm not really attached to them, so if you have some cool idea BoB, out with it, and we'll change them to it.

How about: Spearriver -> Loftlain?
    Or: Omega -> Crastasia

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it would be better if we gather names to be used for the continents and later vote for our favorites. We could also have the original names of the continents when we vote.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

I think at least everyone should be able to name their country or region, as it were.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

One thing worth asking before we establish where the races originate (which can only make naming them about ten times easier as you don't exactly want your Dwarves growing up on Fairy Island)...

Is this world going to have a 'God' given to it? Possibly our collective imagination effectively being the God, of course. If there is, we can have a lot more freedom to mess about with where races begin. For example, if there is a God, then you can say that the elves began in multiple forest at the same time, with no need for a logical way for them to expand from one original area. Meanwhile, if there is no God, then it would make more sense for something similar to Elves to spread from one forest to another, to another, over time. So the one they start in would likely be named by themselves, but forests closer to humans would be named with human-like names before the elf-like race got there.

I hope that makes sense!

As for what names to use, I think the old continent names aren't terrible, but could be worked on. As I said before, I do like Greenfrost Island, and I certainly approve of the Shiny Islands as these just seem to be natural ideas for island names. For continents, names like Dulake (if you say it Doo-lah-kay rather than Dew-Lake) and so forth are good ideas. I think we should just grab some old, some new and wait for a few more ideas for the last ones. But for anything that isn't a continent, I think we should work on the races before we work on the names, purely for the sake of it making sense as to races being dominant in the cities that they have named.

EDIT: Oops, missed some posts since I took too long. xD I agree with Proto particularly for the continents, that's a very good idea. For countries/regions, I think regions name themselves according to races. Countries need to be race-dependant to some degree (again, you don't want Dwarves being abundant in Fairyland, do you?). I think when it comes to controlling names of areas, we should work together so it makes sense. For names of people-groups, though, for example "The Royal Family", "KGB", "FBI" and "TNMT", I'm sure that people can have near complete freedom.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

As long as Eunasia continent is inhabited with humans and Elves, I'm pretty much fine with that.

I do think that the center continent should have an Elven name. No matter if there is a "God" or not, we can all agree that Elves (and perhaps dwarves) were the first to arrive in Eizon. So the center continent would most certainly have the most divers population, but still named by the oldest race.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Why are Elves and Dwarves the first to arrive? Keep in mind that it's possible we'll use Viera instead of Elves, although I have no idea of anyone's preference at the moment.

Blog Entries

Merely going by Tolkien timeline, but it could be different, I suppose. I assumed this because you also used dwarves, a tolkien translation of the word "dwarfes". xP

Viera isn't really the same, more like rabbits.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I think rather than naming them all immediately, we should consider where each race originates and then name them to suit the races that would logically have named them.
    Yep. I think the more background and "reason" we have for naming things, the better. Dulake, Spearriver, Broken Mountain, Eunasia, Delta Bay, Shine Islands, Omega, Sentinel Islands, Greenfrost, Estapora, Cennora, Artaland are all possibilities to vote on later. I like Proto's idea.

I guess, coming down to it, perhaps races are definitely the first things that needs to be set in stone.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    Is this world going to have a 'God' given to it? Possibly our collective imagination effectively being the God, of course. If there is, we can have a lot more freedom to mess about with where races begin.
    Yes. Go here.
    Last edited by oddler; 08-07-2009 at 09:45 PM.

I suppose omega would be inhabited by all the playable races seeing as it's central.
    Eunasia & the northern half of dulake having high concentrations of elves/viera.

I assume humans can be found everywhere where theres large areas of open land?

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I'm going to say as a general rule, any race can pop up practically anywhere on any continent as long as there's good creative reasoning behind it. Otherwise, the standard chance of population will most likely go something like this:

Human - Plains: Medium, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: Medium
    Moogle - Plains: Medium, Forest: High, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: Medium
    Elf - Plains: Medium, Forest: High, Mountain: Low, Drylands: Low
    Dwarf - Plains: Medium, Forest: Low, Mountain: High, Drylands: Medium
    Bangaa - Plains: Medium, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: High
    Shumi - Plains: Low, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: High

I've attached a rough map of the general areas where certain climates are dominant to the first post. Tropical areas are hot, humid, arid, dry, etc. Arctic areas are cold, windy, frozen, etc. If anyone wants to improve on them, feel free.

Perhaps the map can be edited to show the arctic areas better. Add some snow or something.

Something akin to this but obviously alot better.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

That actually looks a lot better than it did, 404. I'll put that one in the original post.

Does anyone have any more ideas on names for regions or oceans? We could come up with a common theme for the area names such as Greek Letters or names resembling the races like Humaria or Elvaron...? These are the current ones to pick from:

Dulake, Spearriver, Broken Mountain, Eunasia, Delta Bay, Shine Islands, Omega, Sentinel Islands, Greenfrost, Estapora, Cennora, and Artaland.

I like Dulake, Eunasia, Shine Islands, Sentinel Islands, Estapora, and Cennora.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Dulake, Eunasia, Shine Islands, Sentinel Islands, Greenfrost. I can't seem to locate Estapora, Cennora or Artaland on the map, though I am a fan of the first two.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by oddler View Post
    I'm going to say as a general rule, any race can pop up practically anywhere on any continent as long as there's good creative reasoning behind it. Otherwise, the standard chance of population will most likely go something like this:

Human - Plains: Medium, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: Medium
    Moogle - Plains: Medium, Forest: High, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: Medium
    Elf - Plains: Medium, Forest: High, Mountain: Low, Drylands: Low
    Dwarf - Plains: Medium, Forest: Low, Mountain: High, Drylands: Medium
    Bangaa - Plains: Medium, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: High
    Shumi - Plains: Low, Forest: Medium, Mountain: Medium, Drylands: High

I've attached a rough map of the general areas where certain climates are dominant to the first post. Tropical areas are hot, humid, arid, dry, etc. Arctic areas are cold, windy, frozen, etc. If anyone wants to improve on them, feel free.
    I agree that people should be able to pop up practically anywhere, but I still think that it would be really neat for the sake of architecture/design that they all originate in one or two places. That way each race will have it's own history and storytelling will be easier as you can, for example, every town won't be the same... you could escape from an Elven hunter, for example, by going to the Bangaa lands where an Elven hunter would look extremely out of place.

Random idea for continent naming: Spearriver? No! Spariva. I think that's a really neat name. As for the voting, here's my votes for names...

Top left - Dulake (doo-lah-kay) continent
    Top right - Spariva (spah-ree-vah) continent
    Bottem right - Baroke (bah-row-kay) continent
    Bottem left - Estapora (est-ah-pore-ah) continent
    Bottom middle - Cennora (senn-ore-ah) continent
    left middle islands - Shiny Islands
    middle middle - Amano continent - tribute to the man who designed the races of FF, since they are prominent in this world.
    islands under Omega continent - Sentinel Islands
    Right top upper island - Greenfrost Island

Delta Bay should be the name of a bay, not a continent. For me, Eunasia sounds too much like Eurasia (the real world name for the continent of Europe and Asia).

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Delta Bay should be the name of a bay, not a continent. For me, Eunasia sounds too much like Eurasia (the real world name for the continent of Europe and Asia).
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I'm game for everything else you just said, though. I guess it would make sense to have certain specified areas where races tend to gather. Not to mention, it'll make it much simpler in the long run.