Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contributions: Legends

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll think of something else then, but I gotta work, so it'll be tonight.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by oddler View Post
    Oh, no no. Eizon and The Crystal is a "good" legend. Also, before The Crystal came, the Ancient Realm was total chaos, I mean like overly ridiculous amounts of natural disasters. It was to the point of where even if you were to build a shelter from the weather, a random earthquake would destroy everything you worked for. There were no cities or armies, only tiny groups of survivors that stayed together. Then The Crystal descended and fixed everything and gave the world order. The Crystal Collapse sounds like something horrible.
    It might be a good idea to have The Crystal Collapse being the shattering of the Crystal, rather then the total destruction/disappearance. That way we could say that The Crystal is still present, hence the world not being ravaged by constant disasters as was the case before The Crystal. Otherwise there's a bit of a continuity error.

/opinion

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Good idea, Jiro. Something happens in Eizon that causes the Crystal to return and shatter, scattering itself across the world. All crystal pieces could originate from The Crystal. Also, the Crystal Collapse could be a major catalyst that started the past war between Amano and Baroke.

This is assuming a lot but if you guys want to roll with it... we can say that Humans originally lived on Amano where the Moogles do now and that they were the ones at war with the Dwarves on Baroke but were persuaded to move away from the Dwarves by the peace-keeping Moogles. ?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Psy's already covered that a bit with his post in the races thread. Perhaps he needs to pop in and leave a legend too?

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Crystal Collapse, surviving scrolls and ancient tales

The crystal collapse, you ask? That is an old tale, if any, but sit down and I shall tell you about it.

This story is passed down by masters of lore, reading through thick parchment and dusty records, and no other remember it in these bright times. Long before the crystal renewed the world, it had always been there, broken in fragments, under earth and time, forgotten through the ages.

The dwarves were the first to find one, deep they delved in the mountains of Baroke, but their reward was the shard. It reflected light, even in dark, and brought happiness to those without it in their heart. Over time many peoples of Eizon came to visit their cities to see the crystal shard, and their economy prospered. This was perhaps the most peaceful time in the age of shards, but it did not last long.

In the center lake of Amano, out of which the river runs to the sea, the second shard was found. Joy was amongst the elves and men still living there, and it seemed as if the world was given a second wonder. Tourism faded from the mountains as people rather visit the main continent, for convenience of location if anything else. The newly established dwarven economy struck a heavy blow, and that may have been the first harm the shards caused to the world.

One night, no scrolls tells us what really happened, but the shard vanished from Amano's largest city. Despair fell among their peoples and their fury turned to arms. They immediately turned to the dwarves, whos economy had collapsed, as if it were an act of revenge. The dwarves were outraged, but the animosity was present, and it began to build. Both sides turned to the forges of war and prepared for the worst.

24 turns of the sun and moon from the missing day it took for the war to begin when rumours of a second crystal in Baroke started to spread. Anger turned to hate and mistrust, and it is said that since the missing day, the mistrust has always been present in Eizon. Swords and spears and axes met on Amano, on which the dwarven colonies had been in that time. Territory was gained and lost over the years, and the war dragged on and on.

One day, the representative cities of Dulake called the other continents together in an emergency council. The war started to affect their world and they agreed it had to end. The people had grown tired of war, but the politicians had not, and this could not go on much longer, as famine and war took lives everywhere. Thus the pact of vigilance was forged, a pact that combined forces to stop war in a destabilizing world. The sentinel islands were chosen for their convenient location, the people on the islands long gone, fled by war or worse. Now it was a place of war, long strong towers were build and constantly fought over.

The islands were overwhelmed by the sudden invasion of a superior force, but the battle was still hard. The warriors in those parts were battle-hardened, and though overwhelmed, fought as madmen. Many good men died that day, the day of blood and reckoning, and is still remembered in those parts. The islands were taken, and a truce was gained after long struggle between the three factions. This peace has lasted until now, except for minor struggles around the world.

There were many changes after the crystal collapse. The few elves left in Amano, the only warrior elven clan known to history, left the center continent and moved it's people to a location not found to this day, although it is believed to be in the west. The men drew to the other side of Amano, faced with so much destruction, began anew, and flourished. The dreary field and ruined cities were eventually taken by moogles and bangaa from the south, but one may still find a small town of hardy men of the east left in those parts, keeping to themselves.

Whether there were any other shards, or what happened to the second, still remains a mystery. It is believed that at least two more were found and kept secret, as to remain at peace. The forgery of the crystal with the shards is another tale, one I will tell before the end, but now I shall need a pipe.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Nice.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Very nice. Excellent tale, Aerith's Knight. I'd like to know who was telling the story.
    Last edited by oddler; 08-25-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Random question: Regarding the 'origins' of the people, are we having them all suddenly emerge at the time the Crystal removed chaos? Or were they there already? I kind of like the idea of having a completely different race (or possibly two, since there was chaos, and they could have been at war) that was there before the Crystal removed the chaos, and therefore every now and then ancient structures could be found - although we should ensure that they are extremely rarely, if ever, found. We could say the Crystal removed almost all of it. That way it wouldn't be too important, but just a reminder of the past. Sort of like prehistoric man's structures are extremely hard to find beyond a certain point in history.

But yeah, it'd be neat to have that if possible. The Shumi or something could tell of ancient tales, reflecting on them specifically as to why they never want anything to do with war, greed or chaos and instead choose to keep to themselves. This could be their personal 'reason' for the way they are.

I'm no good at writing fancy stories to back up my ideas, mind you.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

The Crystal's arrival was centered on the people asking for help and safety from the chaotic world. So, I think it would make more sense to have the people there already when The Crystal banished chaos.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ah, okay.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Doesn't mean we can't have an extinct race though, does it? Perhaps there is only one ruined city left that is found somewhere ridiculous and unvisited or something. Or even if we pass on the extinct race and have ruined cities - everyone loves a little bit of history/mystery!

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Sure, "extinct" races and their ruins are always interesting, as are history and mystery!