Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My chemical Romance

Emo stood for emotional hardcore, i.e. bands like Rites of Spring, Moss Icon. It's only recently become a term for "emotional", which is the stupidest thing ever, but that's just the way it happened.

Jellyfish swim by.

Quote Originally Posted by Boney King View Post
    Emo stood for emotional hardcore, i.e. bands like Rites of Spring, Moss Icon. It's only recently become a term for "emotional", which is the stupidest thing ever, but that's just the way it happened.
    Hardly, considering the "Emo" scene trend that so many people bash only came in during the late 90's which was long after emotional Hardore was around, the Emo style was an attempt at mixing Goth and the dreaded "Scene" look but due to it's popularity with teens it eventually overtook Goth as the typical "dark" stereotype. While i'm more of a goth/rocker myself I really dont sympathize with "Emo's" because half of them are a bunch of idiots and quite bluntly, posers.

Regardless, the "Emo" style needs to stop being confused with Emotional Hardcore because it's giving alot of good bands a bad name.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I used to be a huge fan of them, up until The Black Parade came out. Then it was kind of meh from there.

I always have liked the Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge album though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Hardly, considering the "Emo" scene trend that so many people bash only came in during the late 90's which was long after emotional Hardore was around, the Emo style was an attempt at mixing Goth and the dreaded "Scene" look but due to it's popularity with teens it eventually overtook Goth as the typical "dark" stereotype. While i'm more of a goth/rocker myself I really dont sympathize with "Emo's" because half of them are a bunch of idiots and quite bluntly, posers.

Regardless, the "Emo" style needs to stop being confused with Emotional Hardcore because it's giving alot of good bands a bad name.
    That's actually pretty much what I was saying.

Jellyfish swim by.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Defending emo music is pointless it was another fad that thank god passed by. Some kid who can't sing screaming down a microphone while a guitarist plays boring rifts which are mostly palm muting. The only thing worse than emo music is Indie music.

Indie a bunch of metro sexual retards with unwashed hair wearing their sisters jeans with boring guitar rifts that all sound the same. I'd rather listen to the next disposable X-Factor waste of space than listen to emo or indie music. Thank god both are dying out but god knows the next fad s will be twice as bad.

Apologies for the spirited attack I'm a musician & bad music upsets me

Hey I'm a musician too, and I respect where your opinion comes from. But there's good and bad in every genre of music.

Jellyfish swim by.

Blog Entries

Hey I'm a musician too, and I respect where your opinion comes from. But there's good and bad in every genre of music.
    Never truer words were spoken

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

They are emo.

And yes I know what your thinking, but no i'm actually using the PROPER term for "emo" before it was alienated into that hate stereotype, they are emotional.
    thank you for sharing this. =)

my favorite moments on stage was when franki kicks gerard in th junk and breaks his own toe doing so.

When G got ticked about the band ppl trading girls back stage passes for flashing them, that was funny. Gerard has good morals.

Frank jumped onto bobs drums and took half of it down with him when the band was perfoming live for mtv (im not okay i promise).

my favorite song would have to be between head first for halos and the sharpist lives.

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I think of "Emo", music like this and this come to mind.

From my perspective you seemed to contradict yourself, you said it was always Emotional Hardcore which is true but then you said it only recently became "Emotional", thats where I got confused since only a few words back you said something different.

Unless when you said "Emotional" you actually meant the "Emo" hate stereotype, in which case your right and I agree with you.

Blog Entries

From my perspective you seemed to contradict yourself, you said it was always Emotional Hardcore which is true but then you said it only recently became "Emotional", thats where I got confused since only a few words back you said something different.

Unless when you said "Emotional" you actually meant the "Emo" hate stereotype, in which case your right and I agree with you.
    Emotional Hardcore came about because none of the current crop of musicians were able to improve upon the Hardcore punk sound pioneered by band like Gorilla Biscuit, Quicksand, CIV, Youth Of Today & in later years Rival Schools. It's still inexcusable that they sought to replace such genius with some tragic spotty wanna be goth kids with floppy fringes who scream down the mic but they haven't got a note in their heads! Hardcore generally means Grindcore which equals screaming to cover up poor musical ability!

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Dreamer View Post

Emotional Hardcore came about because none of the current crop of musicians were able to improve upon the Hardcore punk sound pioneered by band like Gorilla Biscuit, Quicksand, CIV, Youth Of Today & in later years Rival Schools. It's still inexcusable that they sought to replace such genius with some tragic spotty wanna be goth kids with floppy fringes who scream down the mic but they haven't got a note in their heads! Hardcore generally means Grindcore which equals screaming to cover up poor musical ability!
    Your right to an extent, but for the record, not even half of scream is even related to Emo, it originated in Metal, which is where it most shines.

Blog Entries

Your right to an extent, but for the record, not even half of scream is even related to Emo, it originated in Metal, which is where it most shines.
    True it started mainly with Black Metal & Death Metal & still rains through with metal. But the difference between the metal screams from like for example Phil Anselmo(Pantera & Down) and the majority of "emo" (a term we're wearing out at this stage) singers is that in Pantera's music & most decent metal the screaming isn't being used to cover up lack of originality or talent. Gerard Way can't sing whatever way you look at it. Whenever the guy tries to hit a high note it sounds like a cat being murdered with a chainsaw with a blunt blade.

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

this is true but yet i still love his singing

Yeah sorry I was kind of on the phone while typing and my head was all over the place. My bad.

Jellyfish swim by.