Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Races.

Default Races.

This is where information regarding the different races goes.
    If anyones up for writing decent descriptions for the main races (i.e Human, Moogle, Elf, Dwarf, Bangaa & Shumi.) i'll edit them into this post.

Also any other ideas for the races should be submitted here.

Human:

Look like... humans.

Though they prefer open regions and a temperate climate they love to travel and one can find their settlements all over Eizon.

Moogles:
    Moogles are small creatures, generally only a few feet tall with white fur, purple/red/pink wings, and a red "pom pom" - a red ball of fur on a wire - emerging from their heads, which they are very sensitive about being touched.

Moogles can be found almost anywhere both in their own villages or mixed in with others.

Bangaa:
    They have long faces, scaly skin, and tough limbs. Due to all these factors, the Bangaa are physically the strongest race in Eizon.

Apart from physical differences, their intelligence and manners are not very different from those of Humans with perhaps more focus on battle/mercenary work and trade, less on expansion and conquest/government. However, some Humans hardly like them and speak about them by using the racist insult "lizard". Males and females are difficult to distinguish until their voice is heard.
    Bangaa prefer warm/desert regions and hate the cold.

Shumi:

Shumi are a race of short humanoids that share many mannerisms with Humans. They are completely bald and have long arms and fingers. An adult Shumi normally grows to only 4 feet tall but they are surprisingly strong for their size. Their lifespan is slightly shorter, being usually around 50 years. Also, a Shumi's childhood is very short, having only 2 years after birth before reaching adulthood.

Shumi tend to live in underground caverns but can be housed practically anywhere, similar to Humans. The race specializes in mining and artistic talents, as well as being skilled merchants/traders. They are extremely localized, however, only leaving the immediate area to trade or research new technologies.

The Shumi are considered a collective tribe and the tribe is lead by 4 Elders. If an Elder expires, another Shumi evolves to take their place as a new Elder. In general, the Shumi dislike war and politics and tend to ignore talk of such things. Most refer to themselves in the third person and by their station (Sculptor, Musician, etc.).
    Last edited by 404; 08-12-2009 at 12:03 PM.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Good stuff. I'll elaborate some more on these guys when I get some more time.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could we not use FFXII human pictures? They look like gay sailors with female waists, and I'm not even talking about the women!

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Aerith's Knight, what's wrong with gay sailors with female waists? If you don't approve of the image, then find something more suitable.

Shumi

Shumi are a race of short humanoids that share many mannerisms with Humans. They are completely bald and have long arms and fingers. An adult Shumi normally grows to only 4 feet tall but they are surprisingly strong for their size. Their lifespan is slightly shorter, being usually around 50 years. Also, a Shumi's childhood is very short, having only 2 years after birth before reaching adulthood.

Shumi tend to live in underground caverns but can be housed practically anywhere, similar to Humans. The race specializes in mining and artistic talents, as well as being skilled merchants/traders. They are extremely localized, however, only leaving the immediate area to trade or research new technologies.

The Shumi are considered a collective tribe and the tribe is lead by 4 Elders. If an Elder expires, another Shumi evolves to take their place as a new Elder. In general, the Shumi dislike war and politics and tend to ignore talk of such things. Most refer to themselves in the third person and by their station (Sculptor, Musician, etc.).

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here you go:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Origin ideas... obviously not restricted but a general idea of when to expect to see more of one population than another when you roam around the major towns on a map. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Some Mitten Lover Sir Lancealot's Avatar

I like it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Only thing I'm unsure about is having the Dwarves in the Sentinel Islands. But the name just makes me think it fits...

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

That's what's up. Great job.

Did you have something in mind for the little spot of Dwarves on the southern tip of Spariva? It looks a little out of place to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I just thought it might make for a "different type of dwarf" if we ever felt like it. Honest answer: No xD

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Well it's staying there anyway I guess! I'll add that map to the original post in the World Map thread, too.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Dwarves

Dwarves are all covered with fine beards, and can live for 150 years. They are stout and stocky, and have hewn their way into the very heart of the mountains through sheer might alone. They survive on mushrooms grown underground, and on the meat of every animal they can find. Some Dwarven outposts, for example, survive purely on kitten and puppy meat, and the bones are carved into totems.

Dwarves are a violent and bloodthirsty people, and take joy in slaughter. However, this can often lead to accidents. Many of the Dwarven military die or suffer grievous injuries in sparring, and disagreements between Dwarves can often lead to a tantrum spiral of violence that will destroy an entire community.

A Dwarven mountainhome is likely to be riddled with various crazy mechanisms, traps, levers and whatnot, and nobody is really sure what everything does. Pulling a lever might just make the great hall become flooded with lava, for example!

Dwarven society is based around mining. Ores, precious gems and metals are dug up from the mountains. These are then crafted into masterpieces by the Dwarven smiths, and these can be traded (or, if weapons, wielded by Dwarven warriors) for other goods.

Nobles are the rulers of the society. The highest is the King, and each outpost is ruled by a Duke, Count, or a Baron. There is also an elected Mayor to assign work orders and the like. The nobles will frequently make demands of their Dwarves to produce things for them, and strict punishments are meted out if they go unfulfilled.

Dwarven justice is simple. The Hammerer delivers a beating with his hammer to any Dwarf who falls foul of the law.

Dwarves and Elves do not get along. This is because Elves believe nature - trees and animals - are something to live in harmony with, whereas Dwarves do not see their value as anything other than fuel for their forges or dinner. Dwarves happily trade commodities with both humans and Bangaa. Dwarves and Shumi share a lot of common values in mining and living underground, however, the Shumi consider the Dwarves to be a bit barbaric for their tastes. I dunno what they'd make of Moogles. They'd probably try to eat them or something.

They smurfing hate tusked menaces, otherwise known as elephants.

Dwarf Fortress smurfing kicks ass and you should go and play it.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Now all we need is a detailed explanation of Elves. And perhaps images of both Dwarves and Elves.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Images?

Oh, by Armok, I've got your god damn Dwarven images right here, son.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

The races all seem spot on, as does the map BoB attached.

Str8 Pimpin'