Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you get a job...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Angry Why don't you get a job...

Was discussing this with a friend about all the cool job classes and our favorite incarnations of them throughout the series. I t was during this discussion I realized my fave class has never been as good as it was when it was first introduced.

So here's the questions of the topic:

What's your favorite true job class?
    What's your favorite version of the class?
    What version do you feel was the weak link in its history?

Also, to stay a bit on topic, I ask you please stick to the traditional sets. I don't count stuff like Tidus and Amarant who are literally combinations of very different classes. Lulu and Vivi do count though just no funny hybrids where they have multiple classes packed into one.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

How do you define "true" job class? As in common/traditional?

Anyway, Black Mage/Wizard has always been my favorite. As for favorite versions, I guess FFT and FF1, which were representations of old school badass mages whose sole purpose was to blow crap up.

As a side note, the job/class system was also my favorite magic system.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh man, this is a trip, especially since some of them only make a single appearance. I really loved Magic Knight/Sorcerer from FFV, for example, one of my favorite classes to make Galuf, rocking his turban, wreaking magical havoc with his sword.

True job class, i just might have to go with Monk, as they seem to be one of the most underrated classic job classes (see FFI guide on this site). Not as easy to master as Warriors in FFI, but i feel that in that game, and nearly all its successors, once you really put effort into them they become powerhouses. I like how Tifa's limit break worked in FFVII, and how eventually you can just master the timing of the slots as if it were second nature.

I really like what they did with Zell. Making limit breaks more interactive in VIII was one of my favorite aspects of the game, I always loved using Zell's.

As far as the weak link, I might say in FFXII because there's just nothing enticing me to use it. I really wish they structured the license board better, but the international/european version was a little overboard. That's part of why the character development system in XII is my favorite and least favorite. It's just so great when you're actually buildilng your characters, but damn, when I get really into the License board, especially the top half and technicks specifically, I just can't help but thinking how poorly it was thought out.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    How do you define "true" job class? As in common/traditional?
    Basically they follow a traditional set of rules to be called that class. As Bolivar mentioned, I would consider Sabin, Tifa, and Zell as being monks. Cause they are modeled after them despite not falling into the standard set in the earlier titles. You can also choose one shot classes like Mystic Knight (despite reappearing as warriors in X-2), Machinist, and some of the more original classes in X-2 and the Tactics franchise.

I'm just trying to avoid people like Terra, Celes, Amarant, Tidus, and Auron as they are made up of several different job classes. The only one I might give people is Edge cause he describes himself as a Ninja and holds all their abilites even though we could classify him as a thief as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    As far as the weak link, I might say in FFXII because there's just nothing enticing me to use it. I really wish they structured the license board better, but the international/european version was a little overboard. That's part of why the character development system in XII is my favorite and least favorite. It's just so great when you're actually buildilng your characters, but damn, when I get really into the License board, especially the top half and technicks specifically, I just can't help but thinking how poorly it was thought out.
    I didn't mean to say what system screwed them up but I may just be misinterpreting your meaning as I do agree its difficult to make a good Monk in XII.

I do love my Monks though

For the final question I mean, what version of your favorite class seems like they totally screwed it up. For instance:

I love the Samurai class and my favorite version of it is in FFV where its a fun broken mess but every game afterwards has nerfed the poor class. Tactics and X-2 being the worse. In Tactics, Samurai lose almost all of their statistical advantages they had and instead get their Bushido abilites that are pretty decent but its high cost makes them seem vastly inferior to Knights, Dragoons, and Monks.

X-2 as well, smurfs up there stats and makes choosing them over a Dark Knight or Warrior seem ridiculous. There special skills were also not noteworthy if memory serves me correct.

They only recently got a break but only if you count them as Samurai in TA2 with the Parivir class which is easily one of the most overpowered classes in that game.

This is sorta what I'm getting at with my questions...

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

In all games I truly do love the monk. True power-houses who are there to destroy instead of hurt.
    I guess in FFVI I would consider Sabin a monk, and while I like the character,he isn't a true monk in the sense I think of them as because he also has is auras.

I also really like red mages because they deal damage, but also have that extra crucial ability to be a back-up healer.

i would have liked to have seen the sorcerer from ffv in x-2
    thats about as good an answer as i can come up with at this time

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I've always liked the White Mages/Devouts. They keep you from dying and set up walls between you and them.

Rosa in IV is probably the strongest white mage. With the right augments in end game you can Reflect and Blink everyone in one turn.

Can't really think of a weak one. Except maybe in X-2. Without a special grid or accessory, they can't really do anything except heal.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    For the final question I mean, what version of your favorite class seems like they totally screwed it up.
    Black Mages are always done well because developers don't dare screw them up! I suppose a pure magic class wasn't very feasible in FFXII, but since the game didn't actually use classes that was ok.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Well I haven't played many of those strict job-based classes in FF history, but I'm knowledgeable on IX and IV which I'm guess goes strictly by it.
    I always have an affection for magic users in the series. That's why I rank Vivi, Ganret, Lulu, and Yuna so high in their installments. Mystifying attacks are appealing to me and my favorites of them would be Garnet, Vivi and Lulu.

I also like Beatrix of IX who I think is a paladin. That's an incredible and greatly balanced class. Too bad Cecil messed it up by not having a life spell along with some other very useful white magic spells.

As non-magic classes go I think I would have to go for either the Dragoon or the Knight. Knights are powerful forces and Dragoons have the cool jump ability and specialize in killing dragons.

One little job that I've wondered is in the series is the archer. I'm guessing it might be in a game like III or V, but I haven't played any of those and I would love to see a strict archer character in the series as I don't think there are any yet. Rose, Cecil, and Rydia could use arrows in IV, but I don't think those weapons really qualify for those jobs.

I would like to see just a pure arrow user, but I wonder how they will differentiate that character from the rest of the class. I suppose giving the character elemental arrows could make them useful for exposing enemy weaknesses, maybe also having them as a bit of a mixture by adding in status ailing arrows. The character would probably also have Wakka's ability aim to increase their accuracy and maybe a move called Bulls-eye that would instantly fell an enemy with one shot with the cost of about 25 MP.

Blog Entries

Default Monks all the way!!!

Okay well I like red mage and monk both the same. It wasn't until lately that I started liking ninjas. They get two attacks like monks did in FFT and FFV. Plus throwing stuff is always a plus .

What's your favorite true job class? Ninja
    What's your favorite version of the class? Tactics.
    What version do you feel was the weak link in its history? FFIV Edge just dosen't do it for me.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

The Knight has always been my favourite.

Except when they Paladin incarnations, those guys are pansies.

ive never understood why people like majic and majic job classes so much
    they always have far too low HP and their attacks arent as powerful ad cant even do them indefinetly cause you run out of MP

physical attacks all the way!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Simple: magic is fun. And also not nearly as ineffective as you claim in most games, as magic allows you to attack large groups of enemies at once, as well as (usually) allowing for more powerful attacks.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If Relm counts, then Pictomancer. Making attacks with the power of art? Awesome! Unfortunately her Sketch skill wasn't very useful, but it sure was a nice idea. I always hoped they'd remake this job class for a later game.

Otherwise, White Mages/Devouts/Seers. They have kitty ears! I probably like FFTA2's version the best, since they give you Magick Frenzy, and hitting the entire field over the head with books/staves is tons of fun.

i'm with Marky on this one, i never understood the use of magic besides healing spells in these games since physical attacks are infinately better due to not relying on something as limited as MP... sure you can very slightly scratch an entire enemy party with one spell but in the long run it really adds nothing besides pretty lights... the only Black Mage that did it right was Lulu form FFX she was the only Black Mage i ever got any real use from as her magic attacks actualy did some damage...
    as for my favorite class i actualy don't have one but i love monks, dragoons, & warrior classes... mage classes are a waste of turns unless they're healing...