Thread: The Best of FF (kind of a game)

Default The Best of FF (kind of a game)

I'm sure something like this or similar has been done before, but I'm still curious to find out people's opinions.

The idea is that I just ask a series of five questions about which final fantasy had the best _____? and the next poster answers with their personal thoughts (and reasons why) on this before asking their own list of "Best of" questions.

So to begin with, which Final Fantasy do you think had the best:

* Hairstyles?
    * Practical costumes (i.e. suitable for various battle/weather/social conditions)?
    * Slums?
    * Villain motivation (i.e. WHY the villain was doing whatever their plan was)?
    * Stereotypical characters?

I look forward to hearing everyone's take on this!
    Don't make Dominique cross

Hairstyle: FFVIII's Zell. Chicken Wuss.
    Practical Costumes: FFVIII Seifer. Looks okay for any situation to me.
    Slums: Not many FFs have slums, but I would go for FFVII.
    Villain Motivation: Too easy. Kefka from FFVI.
    Stereotypical Characters: FFVII. You can just tell what the character is like just by looking at their portraits.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Since Edgar didn't ask their own list of "Best of" questions, I hope he doesn't mind if I continue it.

Which Final Fantasy did you think had the best (with reasons):

*Anti-hero
    *Standard Battle Theme
    *Side Stories
    *Comic Relief Character(s)
    *Plot Twist

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hairstyle: Amarant... Dreadlocks baby
    Practical Costume: Edgar and Sabin, both outfits look maneuverable and good for fighting.
    Slums: Tough one... I may have to give it to Midgard.
    Villain Motivation: Kuja, sympathetic and then insane... best of both worlds.
    Stereotypical Character: Cast of FFX since they are all basically cliches.

Anti-Hero: Toss up between Terra and Lady Ashe, both characters more conflicted with personal issues than high ideals.
    Standard Battle Theme: Really tough one since I generally find the normal battle music to be boring in all the games... I'll cheat and say Man with the Machine Gun since its Laguna's standard battle theme
    Side Stories: This one is really tough especially since I'm not sure what you mean by "side story" like a side quest story like Cyan's dream world? or just a side element of the plot like Kain/Cecil/Rosa love triangle? Either way I think I mentioned mine...
    Comic Relief: This one is really hard... between Cid and Edge, Sabin/Gau/Cyan, Cid Highwind, Biggs and Wedge or Zidane and Steiner... or even just Vaan making a fool of himself... Oh who am I kidding. Its gotta be Butz, Galuf, and Gilgamesh from FFV.
    Plot Twist: There are too many really. Garland being Chaos, the world you know is just a floating continent, Kain's constant betrayals, the worlds of V being connected, Cloud being a poor smuck in the wrong place at the wrong time, Vivi's origins, and Lady Ashe willing to use the Nethicite. But its going to have to be the Ruined World from VI cause I didn't really see it coming and it probably had the biggest impact on me in the series.

My list of questions...

Best Ultimate weapon
    Best character themes
    Final Villain's pawn
    Side Quest
    Best use of Moogles :mog:

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Hairstyle: Fighter: Red and pokey
    Practical Costume: Red XIII: Nothing more practical than fur
    Slums: Midgard: The only one I could think of
    Villain Motivation: Kefka: He got bored.
    Stereotypical Character: Yuna: She's a doormat

Anti-Hero: Squall? I don't really get anti-heroes.
    Standard Battle Theme: IV: I blame nostalgia
    Side Stories: Wutai: The best part was when Cornero tried to get a back they told him to STFU!
    Comic Relief: Gilgamesh! That quote at the end of World 2
    Plot Twist: Zidane being Genome: The following events where pretty awesome.

Best Ultimate weapon: Ultima Weapon from VI: Lightsaber
    Best character themes Cid from VII: I always liked it.
    Final Villain's pawn Gilgamesh: See above
    Side Quest: Hot and Cold: Really good equipment and fun music
    Best use of Moogles: Their forest in V. We got to dress up as one!

Best Voice
    Best Job Costume (IE III,V,X-2)
    Best Alt. Costume (Cross dressing Cloud ect.)
    Best Dungeon
    Best Battle Background

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Hairstyle: People from Midgard
    Practical Costume: People from Midgard
    Slums: Midgard
    Villain Motivation: Don Corneo from Midgard
    Stereotypical Character: People from Midgard

>>> That place had everything..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

I liked Kuja as a villain motivation. He was shunned and wanted to destroy everything because it is all pointless. Sephiroth had a good back story too, being an experiment and wanting to be a god. The odd ones out for me are Kefka (seemed to have no real back story other than being evil for sake of it) and ultimecia (wanted to be ruler of universe for no reason other than beinge evil).

Seymour also had a good enough reason, in that he watched his mother die and then got given power at an early age and ended up wanting more.

Hairstyle: Seymour. Obviously. Or half the FFX cast, really.
    Practical Costume: Kuja. Obviously.
    Slums: Midgard did have some quality slums.
    Villain Motivation: Kefka or Kuja.
    Stereotypical Character: I can agree with Yuna.

Anti-Hero: Does Gilgamesh count? Shadow works too. And Delita.
    Standard Battle Theme: Maybe FFVI's?
    Side Stories: Most of FFVI's side stories. And most of FFVII's too.
    Comic Relief: I liked Quina.
    Plot Twist: Basch's. Evil. Twin.

(But really, I was pissed.)

Best Ultimate weapon: All of the "Ultima" weapons are lightsabers, so those.
    Best character themes: Aerith's was always sort of touching to me.
    Final Villain's pawn: Gilgamesh, Weigraf and FFVIII's Biggs and Wedge, if they count. And most of Shinra Corp, but they don't really count either.
    Side Quest: Getting characters at the end of FFVI. I enjoyed that.
    Best use of Moogles: Mog.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hairstyle: Amarant, of course. Red dreadlocks? Jesus that's cool.
    Practical Costume: Unoriginally, I'll pick Amarant again. Well fitting leather does the job nicely.
    Slums: Midgard has the best slums, hands down. My second would be Treno, just because the class difference is literally drawn down the middle of the town and I think that's very clever.
    Villain Motivation: I'm gonna go Garland (FF9). "I want to give life to my once magnificent people". Hell, I'd do the same thing if I was him. And the Terrans were clearly better at things than the Gaians.
    Stereotypical Character: ALL white mages. I want to see a white mage that tells people to go smurf themselves, and heals people only because s/he knows that those people will help them achieve their own ends.

Anti-Hero: Rikku. I'm sorry, why did she join the party? Oh, because she wanted to hang around, OK.
    Standard Battle Theme: I like 9s. It's less screechy than the others.
    Side Stories: Vivi's origins. Two reasons: firstly, because it's so easy to miss completely. Secondly, it literally made me die of shock the first time I found that stuff out.
    Comic Relief: Gilgamesh! Every game. Gilgamesh. Except 9. He was kinda lame in 9, in terms of comic relief.
    Plot Twist: Zidane being Genome: The following events where pretty awesome. <-- gonna have to agree with that one.

Best Ultimate weapon: I like Clouds to be honest, because I'm practical like that.
    Best character themes: Freya's Theme. Jesus Christ, that's a beautiful piece of music, and it suits her so well. Her lonely lifestyle as a dragon slayer, the distraught...ness(?) brought on by the loss of Fratley and Burmecia. It's fantastic.
    Final Villain's pawn: I'm hoping I understand this right. My answer is that big worm thing before fighting Kuja. Seriously, what the smurf was that there for? xD
    Side Quest: Hot and Cold: Really good equipment and fun music. <--- definitely agreed. Although the Hunts from 12 are pretty incredible.
    Best use of Moogles: 9. Save stations, and they had their own personalities and lifestyles and backstory and side quest.

Best Voice: Fran, FF12. "Like proper kidnappers" is the most adorable and almost sexy sentence I have ever heard. xD
    Best Job Costume (IE III,V,X-2, XI): The Viking suit from FF3 DS. It always made me laugh.
    Best Alt. Costume (Cross dressing Cloud ect.): Is there any other cross-dressing? There's certainly nothing more memorable.
    Best Dungeon: What's that wizard in FF1 with the talking brooms? I loved that place, just for the brooms.
    Best Battle Background: I can't remember exactly where it was, but some of the places in 12 were beautifully made.

My addition:
    Best Weapon design: Gilgamesh in FF12. With his crappy fakes. xD
    Best "special" (Trance, Overdrive etc.): Tifa (FF7). She could maul people by the time she had all of her Limit Breaks.
    Best romance: I'll have to go Steiner and Beatrix from FF9. It's so clumsy, and really came about due to a variety of mistakes. Was it fate that intervened? haha. I also love that because they were the two best swordspeople in the known world, they had no idea how to behave in a relationship.
    Best beginning: FF4. Cecil just rapes a load of monsters, then gets bitchslapped by the King. Awesome, and hilarious.
    Best ending: FF7, where the Lifestream just swarms to...well, you know the rest.