Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't look down

The Jamie Star Scenario The Jamie Star Scenario's Avatar

Default Don't look down

I was just wondering how good you guys are at touch typing. Really, I'm pretty bad at it; my right hand tends to totally dominate nearly all the time often moving into-what should be-the left hands domain. And my ring finger is generally forgotten. It feels so unnatural to type with it for me.

I honestly do think it makes me a less efficient typist than I should be considering I have been using computers for about 15 years now at least. I didn't really learn to be able to type without looking until I was about 13 if I recall. And even now I feel like I still don't know exactly where the keys are on the keyboard relative to f and j so sometimes I loss my place and I just end up writing rubbish. So I'm going to see if I can find some sort of program to teach me how to be a better typist, any tips?

Anyway, how good a touch typist are you? How did you learn, do you have your own way or do you stick strictly to always having you fingers for left: gfdsa, right: hjkl; ?

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, this is me typing without looking down at all. I tend to make spelling errors a lot before i EDIT THEM anyway, sothis probably won't be super pretty. I'm not terrible st it. I probably type a bit too much for my own good! Tiom uch computer time, I guess. Okay, I guess I'll end this post about now. Let's see the carnage!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Okay, this is me typing without looking down at all. I tend to make spelling errors a lot before i EDIT THEM anyway, sothis probably won't be super pretty. I'm not terrible st it. I probably type a bit too much for my own good! Tiom uch computer time, I guess. Okay, I guess I'll end this post about now. Let's see the carnage!
    that was hardly any carnage there at all. i think im usually pretty good at typing without looking but i hardly ever do i9t so im probably out of practice. oh yeah and this is me doing it now.

challange accepted. this me not looking at the keyboard at all (honestly) I used to be a secretary so you get used to where the keys are and if i do get things wrong i can tell the position of the correct key by looking at what key i did actually press.

My right hand does dominate my left though.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

This isn't so hard for me. I can correct any mistakes I may make without having to look, as I type.

I don't really notice whether or not I look down on the keyboard when I'm typing.. Hmm, I think I mostly don't look down, but then sometimes have a quick look just to see what my fingers actually are doing down there.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I'm pretty good at typing without looking down, as I usually don't look down when I type anyway. Also, I can correct my mistakes without looking. I don't type traditionally, though, as I basically taught myself to type.

Blog Entries

I don't know how long I've been able to touch type. I remember just one day I realised that I just wasn't looking at the keyboard anymore :S

there was a picture here

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Yeah, I was pretty much the same way, Old Manus. And I just go back and edit without looking like Momiji. I just recently got any good at typing symbols and such without looking like ~ and | just because I don't use them that often. But whatev.

Now if I go and type without spopping something it loosk pretty bad.

(SPOILER)(Now if I go and type without stopping sometimes it looks pretty bad.) Funny how I meant to type sometimes and something came out instead.

Blog Entries

I never really noticed if I touch type or not but now that I think about it I can type pretty quickly with only a few quick glances at the keyboard, usually when I start typing after a pause to orientate my hands or when Im using uncommon punctuation marks. If I try to type without looking at the keyboard at all I do alright too. For me it wasnt really a case of "learning" how to touch type, Its just that alot of typing has allowed me to be able to touch type. So just sit in front of a computer screen for a couple more years and you'll get the hang of it.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I suck at it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I peck at the keyboard because I don't know where any of the keys are. It took me about 9 minutes to type this post. Pretty good going.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

No point in looking at the keyboard, my lumpy hands are in the way so I can't see what letter I'm hoovering over anyway. I don't do touch though, my pointy fingers do all the hard work.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I don't touch type, but I don't look at the keys. My mother likes to call me spider fingers because my hands move kinda weird when I type (obviously the must look like spiders or something). I mostly type with the first two fingers on each hand and use my right thumb to space. Left pinky is shift, and anything else usually takes a bit of effort and a glance at the keyboard. This post is far bigger than I intended it to be.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.