Page 11 of 131 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617213161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie you watched and your critique of it

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kill Bill Vol. 1

I realized it had been four years since I saw this, so we watched it again last night. My critique is that it's too heavy on the over-saturated color exposures. yay

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

3:10 to Yuma

7/10

Some scenes (SPOILER)like when the drunk deputy gets shot are so campy it's hilarious. The repetitive use of the theme song throughout the entire movie is very powerful. Glenn Ford plays the character of Ben Wade to a tee. I didn't buy the ending at all because (SPOILER)I really doubt that Ben Wade, a criminal, would decide to jump on a train heading towards the prison that he will most likely be rotting in for the rest of his life all for the sake of respecting how morally righteous, brave and persistent Dan Evans is.

3:10 to Yuma Remake

8/10

It's usually the originals that are better than the remakes. This was the case with the original Japanese Godzilla that was a symbolism for the atomic bombs dropping on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The original Godzilla was much better than the weird superimposed visuals and horrible dubbing in the remake i.e. American version.

In this case, I think the remake is actually better. You really can't go wrong with actors like Christian Bale (American Psycho and The Prestige) and Russell Crowe (A Beautiful Mind and Gladiator). Though I still think Glenn Ford was better as Ben Wade, Crowe gives an amazing performance as the gunslinger as well. It's a lot more action packed than the original and also a lot more cynical. The ending isn't exactly happy, but it's perhaps a bit more believable than the original's conclusion.

The Sound of Music.

It's really such a wonderful classic. I found myself singing along, and smiling. Julie Andrews is quite lovely in the part of Maria if you ask me.

I'll be humming the various tunes for the next couple of days.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Cujo. You have to praise a movie which is comprised solely by rabid dog attacks. It may be badly acted and cheap but it was surprisingly tense near the end. Recommended.
    The book is so gooooooood.

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=typY725pjZ4">The Girl Next Door</a>. Harrowing.
    This movie smurfed me up permanently.

edit: Wait, actually it was "An American Crime" that I was thinking about. Both movies were based on the same event, though, I believe.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNBZrK7G73k">Pokémon: The First Movie</a>. Made me cry just as hard as it did ten years ago.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Quote Originally Posted by Necronopticous View Post
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNBZrK7G73k">Pokémon: The First Movie</a>. Made me cry just as hard as it did ten years ago.
    :kaocry:

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I haven't seen that in years. Suddenly, I want to pick it up after class tomorrow.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Pikachu's Vacation is the best part!
    Last edited by Marshall Banana; 10-04-2009 at 03:09 AM.

The Ugly Truth.

It was okay. Predictable and sweet like so many other romantic comedies out there. This one, however, wasn't afraid to be lewd, plus Katharine Heigl is always pretty.

Watched Point Break on TV last night. Totally love this film. Even Keanu Reeves total lack of acting talent didn't really bother me, and thats quite an achievement if you ask me.

Just watched Trick r' Treat. This was supposed to be a theatrical release in 2007 but disappeared and never made it to theaters. IMDB has theories as to why, but whatever. Now it's straight-to-DVD October 6th.

But it deserved to be released in theaters. It was everything I wanted it to be: campy, funny, scary, well put together, and a surprising amount of twists. The whole thing is just so goddamn weird yet so lovely. Theaters are constantly plagued by boring slasher movies where a guy with a knife kills hot blond people with no personalities. It sucks that a movie that tried to be something different isn't getting a good treatment.

Anyway, I'd go 10/10. The movie is not perfect by any means, a lot would hate it maybe, but like I said, it gave me exactly what I wanted. Can't ask for more.

I saw the remake of Fame recently, and it was actually pretty good!
    My only beef with the movie is that there is too many storylines going on and not enough fleshing out of each one.
    Needs less happening, and more developing.
    The movie is worth it if only for the Halloween Carnival dance they have in the middle of of it.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

State of Play

Really enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of Russell Crowe, but I thought he was really good in this film and Helen Mirren was great as always. One of the better thrillers I've seen in a while and not as predictable as an awful lot of them. I liked how the political consequences of the actions and the media backlash took a central role in the plot rather than presenting the actions of the main characters as being in a vacuum. I enjoyed it so much that I really want to watch the BBC series that it was based on now, which is supposed to be even better.

8.5/10

Before this, I went to see Surrogates at the cinema. Barely worth watching, was essentially very similar to I Robot and offered little new. Friend of mine fell asleep whereas I saw one of the major plot twists coming from the introduction. Wouldn't bother going to see it. I never felt like walking out, but I did regret missing my train by seconds and seeing this instead of District 9. 4/10
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Trick r Treat. Enjoyable horror with some great gags and nice twists. 4/5.
    I will never be a memory.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The Falculty

Plot:
    A high school student discoveries a new breed of species on Earth and gives it to his Science teacher to examine. His science teacher ships it off to a university and shortly after the same student finds out that his school is being overthrown by a parasitic alien race and it's his job along with about five other students to get rid of them.

My Critique: I hadn't seen this movie since like 1999 and it's still damn funny. This movie is an hour and 45min of pure lolz.
    I still crack up at the ridiculous things in this movie like (SPOILER) when that teacher gets her head cut off and it crawls away back to her body that is still moving and the reaction of the principal and other teachers when Wood and that girl find that dead body in that closest. I also lol when I'm watching it and saying to myself how could they have not realized that that country girl was the mother alien. For one all that started when she came, two she didn't trip out when she "sniffed" the cocaine and three, when all that stuff started to happen she was the coolest of them all. Everyone else was tripping out except for her.

Maan this movie is a pretty good laid back comedy. I give it a good-hearted 7.