Page 60 of 131 FirstFirst ... 104050545556575859606162636465667080110 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie you watched and your critique of it

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

During the month of August I watched:

1. The Other Guys - Funnier than expected. I enjoyed both main characters and laughed a lot.

2. Nearing Grace - Lots of boobs. Pretty generic story but done well enough to thoroughly enjoy.

3. The Ramen Girl - Greatest movie of all time, except for the ending, which I didn't really get. I want to live this movie.

4. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - If you don't love this movie, you're not the kind of person I'd enjoy spending time with.

5. Seven - Kind of okay but mostly boring. Good cast, at least. I really hated the conclusion but have to admit it was clever.

tomorrow when the war began.

freaking epic. i loved it i loved it i loved it. who said aussies can't make good movies? plus caitlin stasey = <3
    if finding love is just a dance, proximity and chance, you will excuse me if i skip the masquerade

Truth Beauty Freedom Love Logie's Avatar

Shutter Island.

I thought it was preeeeetttty good. Leonardo Di Caprio was fantastic and I didn't even find myself sidetracked and wishing he still looked like he did in the Titanic era. I must admit, my brain did hurt a little at the conclusion but atleast the film wasn't predictable! Much.

...We could be heroes...

Articles
    Blog Entries

I also saw Nearing Grace recently. It was okay I guess, had some nice moments but overall there was nothing too memorable in it; and I don't know what movie Shlup was watching but there's no boobs in it.

Inception ,really amazing work.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

I've seen it a lot... it's boring to me. As I put on my facebook:

(frodo is at rivendale meeting the elves for the first time in the first movie)
    Frodo: I am ready to go home
    Me: HA HA-HA sucks to be you huh!?

I need the extended editions cause I feel there are important things left out. OH WELL.

7/10 it's epic but I get hella bored with this one.

The Other Guys

First half and a bit more were freakin hilarious. If you liked Will Ferrel in Anchorman you'll like him in this movie. But the second half got a bit boring but still a few laughs.

6 or 7/10
    Last edited by McLovin'; 09-11-2010 at 02:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Iron Man 2

Good, but it was dragging on a little too much. I liked the first movie, but this one felt exceptionally long, and the "final battle", was disappointing to say the least.

Rating: 6/10

Hide your wallet The Shoeless Hobo's Avatar

Tomorrow When The War Began

4 skips out of 5.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Closer

9/10

I've seen this before, but I saw it was free on Comcast so had to watch it again. I'm so impressed with the screenplay. The dialogue and situations are melodramatic, but authentic. I find the character played by Natalie very engaging. The characters aren't really likable, but not horrible enough to be loathed. They are flawed, but in a way where you can't really hate them for their flaws because you can sympathize, or even empathize with why they react the way they do. I think we've all known someone who was an Alice, Dan, Larry, or Anna...or maybe we were one of those characters.

Battlestar Galactica, is awesome.

The Expendables.

It is what any movie with Sly is in this day and age - a nostalgic view of the hey day of action flicks. It lacked in certain key plot areas but overall I wasn't let down. 7/10.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Date Night (Extended Cut)

5/10

It seemed like it was dragging on, but that could be because it was about a half and hour longer than the theatrical release. Al though Carrel, Fey, and Wahlberg are all funny I found that there wasn't really anything that warranted a lot of laughs in this film. Disappointing to say the least. The part I liked the most was with when they were having dinner and started mocking other couples having dinner. It was okay, but as a comedy it was lacking.

The Corporation

7/10

Not at all objective; which is usually what I look for in a documentary. It was very informative though and I agreed with some of the points about how capitalist and the people within large corporations work. While a lot of the information being shoved down the throat is serious in content it had a few moments where it was pretty amusing as well.

Cloverfield

5/10

Finally decided to give this film a full run-through. I still don't like the hand-held gimmick, but at least it wasn't as nauseating as when it was done in the Bourne movies. The only time it seemed to really work was in Rec.

Critical Mass

5/10

A rare experimental short film where a man and a woman from New York have an agruement against a white wall. The entire time we see just their profiles. In some parts the screen becomes completely black and then fades back. The sounds are repetitious and annoying; much like an actual argument. At the end the screen becomes black again and we begin to hear sexual noises. It was weird, simplistic, and pretentious, but the acting was good.

Synthesia?

3/10

I can't remember the exact name right now. Like the Critical Mass, it's also a rare experimental film shot in black in white. This one includes a variety of different shorts featuring models and actresses from the 60s...naked models and actresses. One of the ones included a shoot with Marylin Monroe in a 13 minute thing of her doing weird . "Through With Love" plays on repeat, but the exact same part plays over and over so the actual song never actually finishes. Then what appears to be grain that actually looks like sperm covers the whole video. In the movie, she squeezes her breasts and then rolls an apple off of her stomach. I dunno wtf. Every time I thought it was over it would start up again. At first I thought this was funny, then I wanted it to be over. >=( Hated it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Let the Right One In

Beautiful. Beautiful in every way; story, cinematics, acting. I highly recommend this to anyone who can endure subtitled/foreign movies (even if you can't you should probably suck it up and watch this anyway).

9/10 (teetering on the edge of 10 out of 10)

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Awesome movie. It captures the essential beauty and heartbreak of vampirism.

On a related note I saw the trailer for Let Me In. It manages to create a moody atmosphere but it remains to be seen if the remake can capture the essence of the original.

Battlefield Earth

What can I say? It's one of my favorite guilty pleasures, up there with Death to Smoochy for enjoyable awfulness. There's not much to say that hasn't already been said, but you should check out Nostalgia Critic's review along with the book Fiasco, which details how this abomination came to be.

Definately listen to Roger Christian's commentary. He seems to be one of the few people who still believes that this was a great classic sci-fi film. He matchs the prolific Uwe Boll in terms of self-delusion.