Page 122 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2272102112116117118119120121122123124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 1961

Thread: Last movie you watched and your critique of it

Under The Skin

Saw scarlett johannsen naked but otherwise it was worthless. I was waiting to feel some empathy but it didn't happen. Then you never find out wtf is going on... bleh

I watched Persona it was very good and creepy in the right parts

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Children of Men.

I recently read the book (which is trout) and wanted to rewatch the far, far superior movie. Damn, it's an excellent movie.
    Indeed it is 10/10 that.

22 Jump Street
    5/10

Recently I saw 22 Jump Street which is as I expected it to be. I didn't think it was as entertaining as the first, but I did laugh a few times so it set out to do what it intended. I loved the disdain that girl had for Jonah Hill's character. Pretty much every scene with her was hilarious. The ending credits were kind of funny too. In terms of originality it obviously didn't bring it there and I kept feeling like they were trying to shove anti-gay down my throat because of the whole Jonah Hill scandal.

The Grand Budapest Hotel
    8/10
    Nicely written and definitely has the typical Wes Anderson flair. I'm not a fan of most of his films, but this one managed to be funny, thoughtful, adventurous, mysterious, and romantic all while remaining true to it's nature. The ending was a tad disappointing only because it was odd how it took a morbid turn but otherwise it was delightful. My bf liked it though so I give it a -2 automatically because he thinks terrible things are good.

Oldboy (American version)
    7/10
    In all honesty, I enjoyed it. The Korean version is obviously superior, but Josh Brolin is such a fantastic actor. I have several things to say about this remake, but because I'm on my mobile I'll edit it in later.

EDIT: Okay, my main issue with this film is that it's a remake. I don't mind a remake if the original is outdated, but it isn't. A lot of things are shot-for-shot. This is essentially a rip-off. It's unoriginal and unimaginative. It brings nothing new aside from a new cast. It's almost as abominable as the Psycho remake was. They did cast a good actor, Josh Brolin, though the casting is another issue.

Interesting that Spike Lee directed this film originally about a Korean man and decided to make the lead protagonist some white dude who became basically a third degree black belt in martial arts really because he watched it on television. If only it could be that easy. Interesting again that Spike Lee directed this film and casted one of the villains as Samuel L. Jackson and the white villain is surprise surprise, a European. Well done Spike Lee, you've managed to fit in all of the Hollywood cliches and yet you claim to be going against the grain. You're one and the same. Terrible sell-out. Bring back the Jungle Fever Spike Lee.

I remember seeing Tabloid! Years ago in the Magno Sound review, but thanks for reminding me Shorty. Such an interesting story that was. I have no idea who to believe either but I do know that bish is cray.
    Last edited by Shiny; 07-30-2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: forethought on Oldboy

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just watched Homefront.

It was pretty good. Your standard Jason Statham movie, but maybe a little mixed with a Bruce Willis revenge flick. I personally think Jason Statham is the next Bruce Willis of action movies. And that suits me just fine.

Anywho. I enjoyed it. I gave it a four out of five stars on Netflix.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

The Grand Budapest Hotel

8/10

I quite liked the style of this one, very enjoyable. However, the ending was kind of anti-climatic and disappointing.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Snowpiercer.

So good. SOOO unexpected.

Blog Entries

The "new" (2002... eh, make me feel old ) version of The Time Machine

I've only seen the first one once and don't remember much of it, and not read the book. So maybe I'm blessed by a lack of expectations for it to match, but I loved it! I know it got some pretty uh... mixed reception, but I certainly enjoyed it. It took me along for the journey, and to a really cool future (past-like) world that I smiled at seeing, and a whole heap of emotions along the way.

Funny how it referenced itself at one point too

A Friday night well spent.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    Snowpiercer.

So good. SOOO unexpected.
    I also saw Snowpiercer. I didn't know what to expect it as post-apolcapytic films can be a hit or miss as proven by how utterly trout The Colony was, but I'm very fond of the writer who also wrote some great Korean thrillers, Mother and Memories of a Murder. It did not disappoint. I would say the ending was definitely predictable though and it was a bit more violent than I expected, but otherwise enjoyable.

the last movie that I watched was Gravity. it was really good! only had a handful of actors in it. I think it was probably made to be seen in 3D, but I enjoyed it just the same.

I saw 'Deliver Us From Evil' in theaters with my girlfriend. I rate it 4/5 stars. Supposedly it is based on some events of a police cop in the Bronx, New York. Follows the random cases of that cop and how he has dealt with some supernatural stuff. It was really good and not even scary. There is also a trailer somewhere about a real life account of one case from the real cop that the movie was based off of and also the Priests who were his mentors. It was really worth the watch!

New Planet of the Apes - pretty good - Wanna see where they take it next.

Edge of Tomorrow - very good - wanna see what happens on the next day :P

Noah - complete trout. Didn't expect any more and was not disappointed. Avoid at all costs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Down Periscope

It was okay

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That Awkward Moment.

Agreed to watch this with MissH to keep her sweet for when I drag he along to watch the new Planet of the Apes film.

It was a typical rom-com fare and was suitably predictable. Another one as well which makes men look like absolute dicks. Let's not be there for the girl of yours dreams when she needs you... instead let's stick to the whole "bro's before females'" bollocks. I was unhappy with the way my gender was portrayed.

Saying that, there were a couple of decent performances in it. Miles Teller and Imogen Poots played their roles well. There were also a couple of cracking one-liners. Overall though it was pretty middle-of-the-road.

5/10

The Raid 2.

Holy crap it was so good. Definitely took the insanity of the first one and multiplied it. Story was weak tho, but fight scenes were insane. smurfing Rama, man.

8/10

Batman Begins

Never saw it before but I liked it a lot more than Dark Knight. It had a really cohesive story and I enjoyed the trippy scenes like demon Batman. Made it feel like those old school Batman episodes.

9/10

Blog Entries

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Looks like it's been pretty well received so far. In all honesty I found it slow, and the story a bit of a mess. To be fair though, I've only ever seen the original 1968 one (ended up at this one because friend's birthday) and thought this was purely a prequel, not a complete reboot, so I was trying to tie it in with the original in my head (and found the inevitability that comes with thinking it's a prequel somewhat depressing!). I should probably watch Rise and rewatch this one to give it a more fair analysis.

The history of it is quite complicated though isn't it. You have the original book, the original film, then several follow-ups that apparently sucked (barring Escape), a TV series, a remake film in 2001 that also apparently sucked, then the sort of reboot-prequel-thing. What a mess! Particularly with the remake being fairly recent and already made irrelevant via the reboot.

On the plus side it was certainly entertaining and with some memorable characters. There are iconic moments (and characters) that are - though probably unlikely to be as famous as that scene at the end of the 1968 movie, still unlikely to be forgotten any time soon.