Page 64 of 131 FirstFirst ... 144454585960616263646566676869707484114 ... LastLast

Thread: Last movie you watched and your critique of it

Blog Entries

Carriers (2009)

Rate:

This movie is avarage at best. It works like a "28 Days Later" dublicate, but that is where the comparison ends. The story is meant to be focusing on the two brothers, but they barely get a real moment together, thus not allowing the watcher to give a damn about either one of them. It's a shame, as the movie looks great, and it has a great atmostphere, not if only they had work a little longer on it, it could have been a great movie.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Watched two movies yesterday and two movies today.

Trick 'r Treat (2007) 4/10 (compared to other horror movies)
    First half was kinda promising, better than I was expecting, but then it took an odd turn somewhere past halfway and then the end is just plain weird. Basically it pulled a The Descent. Starts out amazing, then gets weird around halfway. At least Descent had a decent ending.

Last House on the Left (2009) 7/10 (compared to other horror movies)
    As far as horror movies go, this was a pretty good one! I haven't seen the original movie, so I'm not going to compare it to that. Very many enjoyable elements in this movie. I like the amount of time they spend on characters, as opposed to a billion other slashers where they get a big cast and kill them off a couple minutes after they've been introduced.

The Collector (2009) Movie: 6/10 Ending: 1/10 (both compared to other horror movies)
    Good god. It could've been a good movie if only it wasn't so terrible. Ending SpoilerThe worst twist a horror movie can have is that there is no twist! Especially when they make a deal out of the killer wearing a mask and not showing us his face when the main guy pulls off his mask. I was sitting throughout the movie trying to figure out what the twist was going to be, so I had a big WTF on my face when the movie just ended.

Zombieland
    (2009) 6/10
    Great! This is what a zombie movie should be like. I'm tired of all the zombie/vampire/ghost/alien/[insert creature] flicks, so it's very refreshing when they're at least centered around comedy.

I also watched two horrors last week so might as well do those too.

Haute Tension/Switchblade Romance
    9/10 (compared to other horror movies)
    Yikes! Very pleasantly surprised by this one. I was not expecting this at all! Great mood, great acting. The blood special effects were absolutely terrible at times, which took away from some moments, but other than that there's not much I can complain about here.

Black Christmas (1972 version)
    One of the few highlights in this movie was the character Barb, other than that I don't think this one has aged too well. Not scary and with a very predictable twist. But hey, at least it had a twist, most old horror movies don't have any twists at all.

What? No, I don't like horror movies.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was gonna watch Trick R Treat, but decided it looked too stupid, so glad I didn't especially after reading your review of it.

Last House of the Left was one of the few movies where I could say the remake was definitely superior the original.

Anyway, I watched quite a bit movies in the past few weeks. For starters, I watched Battle Royale Director's Cut -- which was not at all superior to the original version. Way too much was kept in that I now see why they took it out in the theatrical release. I also watched a documentary about insects that was pretty good, but the name escapes me at the moment.

The movie I saw on Wednesday in class was amazing though. It's called Ms. 45. At first the feminist ideas demonstrated in the film can be a little nauseating, but the symbolism and the lead actress are fantastic. I won't spoil the ending, but there are a lot of little subtle symbolism thrown in the mix. Definitely worth a watch unless you're like McLovin' and only like to watch movies from the 2000s.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Other Guys

5/10

The effects were fantastic. Samuel L. Jackson was hilarious. (SPOILER)I was disappointed that he wasn't in the film for longer. The script was childish, and bit too absurd for my taste. I don't think Will Farrell has ever been funny nor will he ever be. Mark Wahlberg was okay, but the same tough angry guy act he pulls in all of his movies is getting boring. This movie was mediocre and as for a comedic film, it's not on the same level as other outrageous comedies like The Hangover and Superbad.

Easy A

4/10

Another mediocre film; although entertaining. Emma Stone is really an engaging actress. She has a way about her that says confidence without arrogance and she doesn't seem like a typical young Hollywood airhead. This comes off in the roles she plays. Like Mark, though she generally plays similar characters. In this one she continues to do comedic, slutty sort of geeky nice girl who can sing. I didn't believe that a public high school like this exists. Wasn't buying it and the end found resolution too quick. The other actors, for the most part, were pretty bad. Amanda Bynes in particular. I know her character was supposed to be annoying, but damn.

I'm Still Here

5/10

What the hell. I had to see this out of curiosity. Regardless of whether it's real or fake (which I don't really care either way) it had truth to it. I think this film demonstrates effectively how easy it is for stupid things like this to be spread all over the television, internet, etc. whereas more important things hardly get covered in the media. It also shows you how pompous Hollywood socialites can be and some how if you didn't know that already -- after watching this you definitely will. It takes a really egotistical personality to think a movie like this would sell based off a career of an actor alone. If you got someone like Johnny Depp to do this, perhaps it probably would have sold more, but would have still been just as distasteful, yet intellectual. Also, too much unnecessary penis. Kthanx

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Fly: 6/10
    The premise of the movie was much scarier to me than the execution, because flies creep the smurf out of me (which is why I smurfing hate it when people go like "omg a spider kill it!!". Spiders are awesome for catching flies). So I was like "omg this guy is gonna turn into a huge fly". Instead he turns into some alien looking thing. I guess this movie was more impressive in the 80s, but nowadays it's just another body horror movie with outdated sfx.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Enter The Void

I saw it a little over a week ago and I still haven't been able to get it out of my mind,lol.
    The visuals are very jarring and the editing with the sound was really top-notch. My only beef with the movie was that it was a bit overblown standing at 2 hours and 35 minutes; for a movie with very minimal dialogue, it can start to grate your nerves.
    It's definitely not for everyone,but if you are a visual person and aren't too concerned with the plot at hand,which is okay in it's own right even though it could've been executed a little better, I couldn't recommend it enough.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Black Swan

Acting ... 10/10
    Wow.

Cinematography ... 10/10
    Makes use of close-ups really well. You feel trapped at times and then when the long shots come they're good at showing the distance between the characters and the space which they reside. Every camera angle had a point. And the lighting and everything was beautiful.

Costume/Make-up ... 10/10
    Fantastic ballerina outfits and makeup at the end especially considering they kept running out of movie to make this film.

Editing ... 5/10
    It was lacking. Almost every scene transition was with an unnecessary dissolve. Dissolve transitions should be the last resort, or if you have similar shapes within the frame, but they didn't. The editor just dissolved because bad editors are taught that when you can't figure out to tie together or transition from scene to scene, just use a cheesy dissolve and it will fix everything.

Story ... 8/10
    Brilliant tap into the mind an obsessive dancer. Very true to the life. Many dancers are consumed with their "art" and there's definitely a lot of envy, jealously, and pride involved especially within the ballerina community. Some of the symbolism, although sometimes obvious was effective. Some things, like the wings toward the end were too obvious. The director could have let the audience know less and still had it be an effective story. However, I didn't think it was entirely predictable as some people say. It did a great job and scaring, thrilling, and mindsmurfing me. There were a few parts, however, that should have been a bit more clear. (SPOILER)For instance, why is that no one realizes there was blood on her stomach when the dancers were only a few feet away from her? It was a pretty large stain by that point. And why does she say it was perfect if she fell during the beginning of the performance? Or was that the point? That even with the mistake she felt perfect? Most people will know that most things that are happening are all in her head, but it goes deeper into that. There were times when I was tricked to believing she was schizo and Mila's character wasn't even real, but she was. She was so envious of Mila's personality that she imagined herself as her and it became an obsession -- one that eventually became sexual and even hateful. Brilliant!

Overall ... Grade: A
    With the inclusion of direction, special FX, and Tchaikovsky music.

I forget the name but they asked her for her hobbies and she said shopping and buying american clothes and then she took hers off

10/10

Articles
    Blog Entries

Black Swan

Holy , that movie was amazing. Darren Aronofsky has been one of my favourite directors ever since I saw Requiem and this has just cemented him up there for good. If Natalie Portman doesn't win whatever awards she gets nominated for then it'll be a crime, but basically every actor in this film did an amazing job (Winona Ryder's performance seemed a bit meh, but that may have been due to how little screen time she saw). The movie was shot amazingly and as much as I've always though ballet was a total bore-fest, this movie managed to make all the dances incredibly captivating; although I think this is in part to what was probably my equal favourite part of this film, Clint Mansell's OST. This guy is just the king of soundtracks and I grabbed it and have been listening to it basically ever since the movie finished, an awesome re-doing of Tchaikovsky's original ballet.

9/10 - A must see.

(This year has been absolutely awesome for movies)

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Town

7/10

It didn't seem realistic to me that people would be as dumb as the people were in this film. I mean really. People who rob banks and get away with it for long periods of time are obviously smart enough to cheat the system, so why is it that they were so dumb and remained there? I get the message of the film, but still don't buy it. Good acting though! Jeremy and Jon (John?) were great. And Ben Affleck and his enormous head weren't bad either. I have more to say, but I'll just leave it at that because I'll start going off on a tangent.

Black Swan

9/10

I rarely see movies twice. In fact, I hate watching movies more than twice and sometimes even more than once -- at least until years later. But, I had to see this again and it was great. Watched it with my dad. It was awkward sometimes...but my dad literally stood up during some parts and was like, "Godamn godamn what the smurf what the smurf". He fell asleep towards the beginning, but woke back up when Mila started putting roofies in her drink. It starts off slow, but gradually builds up. Becoming more and more intense...kinda like Swan Lake. ;D

And I'm not sure if I ever rated Requiem for a Dream (I don't think it's overrated like Nominus) or The Wrestler but...

9/10 & 8/10

I gotta go watch The Fountain.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

I'm a fan of the comic books its based on and must say overall the film is okay. Its most lacking quality being in casting Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim. He was just not the right guy to choose for this role cause the kid is like John Wayne or Owen Wilson. He basically is the same character in every movie I've ever seen him in and he does whiny angst and awkward nerd in all of his films. Scott is suppose to be a hyperactive goofball with an out of control ego. So many of the great scenes of the book are just poorly handled by him. Not to mention the kid looks like he could get a nosebleed if you look at him hard enough let alone be a badass. About the only thing he has going for him in this role is that he happens to be Canadian, so kudos for being the right nationality.

The soundtrack was great and the rest of the casting was pretty good, even seeing Kieran Culkan do a pretty swell job of doing my fave character Wallace. He doesn't look the part but he definetly had the attitude going for him. Mary Elizabeth Winstead does a great job of being Romana but its a shame the movie couldn't have given her more of her development from the books cause the actress nailed the character imho.

Outside of the usual Hollywood inaccuracies and some poor casting for the lead role, the film is still a nice treat and it was great to actually hear the band perform. They also kept some of my favorite scenes from the book including the Vegan police!

I give it four crazy ex-girlfriends out of sub space highway.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For Colored Girls

5/10

Extremely melodramatic complete with cynicism and out-of-place rhyming excerpts from the play. The acting was good at some parts -- particularly with Macy Gray. Her part; although short was really creepy, but in the end it was a bunch of melodrama fluff with no sort of resolution. Not that there had to be one. Yet, there definitely needed to be a less anti-climatic ending then, "all men are evil and us women have to stick together...now let's all hold hands".

Legacy

5/10

Plot holes galore. Despite the plot holes, and mundane setting, and unsurprising reveals, the main actor really stepped out of his comfort zone for this role. I was very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    For Colored Girls

5/10

Extremely melodramatic complete with cynicism and out-of-place rhyming excerpts from the play. The acting was good at some parts -- particularly with Macy Gray. Her part; although short was really creepy, but in the end it was a bunch of melodrama fluff with no sort of resolution. Not that there had to be one. Yet, there definitely needed to be a less anti-climatic ending then, "all men are evil and us women have to stick together...now let's all hold hands".
    This movie was just too much.
    It took like every single melodramatic trope in the book and squished it into a movie. I was so worn out by the end of the movie that I didn't know what to think,lol.
    I really liked Whoopi Goldberg's character though.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

9/10

I thought this would be a bit cheesier then it actually was, but it was really quite amusing despite Michael Cera being the same person in all of his films. It's refreshing to see a comedy that's actually funny and especially one that's so stylistic.

Articles
    Blog Entries

speaking of cheesy movies. I recently saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. It's too cheesy to give it a rating.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...