Page 105 of 131 FirstFirst ... 555859599100101102103104105106107108109110111115125 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1961

Thread: Last movie you watched and your critique of it

Also The Hobbit. 8/10. The tone was all over the place where they obviously had to make it a fun, kid's adventure film but at the same time they felt the need to remind us that it's also part of Lord of the Rings and made their flashback fight scenes with the dwarves just as brutal. Felt a bit jarring.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Django Unchained - 4/5

A good movie partially ruined by Tarantino's apparent obligation to throw in extremities in the way of blood, body count and general over-the-top stuff. I loved the little random dialogue pieces scattered throughout the story, both for the purpose of comedy and otherwise, but Tarantino manages to marr an otherwise enjoyable film by constantly reminding me that I'm watching a movie. The guy is worse than Michael Bay at this kind of thing, and that's saying something. Still, I did enjoy the characters, the acting was good for the most part (shame on you, Samuel L. Jackson), there was fantastic humour, and the movie was overall enjoyable.

So, overall, a really good movie but you have to keep in mind that the film will regularly remind you that you're watching a film, and for me that sucks as I love to just get caught up in the movies I watch. I like Tarantino as a writer, I'm just not sold on his style of directing.

Full Metal Jacket - 4/5

A very interesting movie, and not what I thought it would be. Without question, the first 45 minutes is the standout part and matched what I thought it would be - I just wasn't aware it would actually carry on through to the Vietnam War, which was a pleasant surprise. I actually would have been happy just watching those 45 minutes and I can't believe that part was that short as it felt like a full movie! The characters and the acting were fantastic, I was never bored, I enjoyed the dialogue throughout... it's not one of my favourite movies (or even my favourite Vietnam War movie, hi Apocalypse Now). The film never really blew me away at any point, but I could probably have watched a movie twice as long and maybe more due to the general quality of everything.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Django Unchained - 4/5

A good movie partially ruined by Tarantino's seeming obligations to throw in extremities in the way of blood, body count and general over-the-top stuff. I loved the little random dialogue pieces scattered throughout the story, both for the purpose of comedy and otherwise, but Tarantino manages to marr an otherwise enjoyable film by constantly reminding me that I'm watching a movie. The guy is worse than Michael Bay at this kind of thing, and that's saying something. Still, I did enjoy the characters, the acting was good for the most part (shame on you, Samuel L. Jackson), there was fantastic humour, and the movie was overall enjoyable.

So, overall, a really good movie but you have to keep in mind that the film will regularly remind you that you're watching a film, and for me that sucks as I love to just get caught up in the movies I watch.
    Was enjoyable for me too. The worst thing about it though was Tarantino's cameo. That was just terrible...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tarantino manages to marr an otherwise enjoyable film by constantly reminding me that I'm watching a movie. The guy is worse than Michael Bay at this kind of thing, and that's saying something.
    I haven't seen this film, so I don't understand what you mean, really. Do you mean Tarantino in general?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Tarantino manages to marr an otherwise enjoyable film by constantly reminding me that I'm watching a movie. The guy is worse than Michael Bay at this kind of thing, and that's saying something.
    I haven't seen this film, so I don't understand what you mean, really. Do you mean Tarantino in general?
    In general, yeah, when it comes to breaking the immersion I find Tarantino to be one of the best/worst depending on how you view such things. It's the fact that when I'm watching the movie, there are those particular moments where I think "Oh, that's Tarantino." I should never be thinking of the director when I'm watching a movie, and it certainly shouldn't be the thing I mention most when I'm making a quick review of the thing. I think the best directors make movies that don't shout, megaphone-in-the-ear style, "THIS IS A [director name] MOVIE." I could have watched Django Unchained without knowing it was Tarantino directing and be able to guess the director in one guess. I still like most of his movies (of those I've seen), don't get me wrong, but mostly due to the writing rather than the "now let's have a Tarantino moment" bits.

Django Unchained is certainly far worse than other movies at it, though. I don't remember watching Pulp Fiction and thinking of Tarantino, nor Reservoir Dogs (although it's been probably a decade or so since I saw the latter). Kill Bill had moments where my immersion broke, but Django Unchained had it so very bad. It's weird - it may have had my favourite and least favourite scenes of any Tarantino movie, which I think sums it up... it was Tarantino to extremities on all levels. His best parts at his best, and for me (I'm assuming others loved it), his worst parts at their worst.

:monster:

Tarantino is not worse than Michael Bay in any respect because Tarantino's movies are actually enjoyable to watch.

That said, I kind of agree that he does do a lot of things that make it pretty obvious you're watching a film. I would find it annoying if I cared about immersion, but since his films are as much commentaries on other films as they are commentaries on the real world, I don't really mind it.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    In general, yeah, when it comes to breaking the immersion I find Tarantino to be one of the best/worst depending on how you view such things. It's the fact that when I'm watching the movie, there are those particular moments where I think "Oh, that's Tarantino." I should never be thinking of the director when I'm watching a movie, and it certainly shouldn't be the thing I mention most when I'm making a quick review of the thing. I think the best directors make movies that don't shout, megaphone-in-the-ear style, "THIS IS A [director name] MOVIE." I could have watched Django Unchained without knowing it was Tarantino directing and be able to guess the director in one guess. I still like most of his movies (of those I've seen), don't get me wrong, but mostly due to the writing rather than the "now let's have a Tarantino moment" bits.
    Really? That's called personal style. I could watch a Wes Anderson film without knowing he was behind it and guess who the director was. Same for Joss Whedon. I can think of two films of Tarantino's where I wasn't 100% wholly convinced about what was going on or that I was committed to the reality of the film, and that's because those films were From Dusk Til Dawn and Planet Terror, and they're supposed to be campy anyway.

Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds. All of those completely sucked me in and made me believe, with zero distractions on Tarantino's part. Noticing key aspects of his directing style is one thing, it's another to say that he's blaring a megaphone in your ear about his personal style to the viewer.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Different strokes for different folks. Watch it, though. If you're a Tarantino fan on every level then you'll absolutely love it. I'm not, and I still enjoyed it. Also will agree with something someone mentioned earlier in this thread (I think it was Hsuhu) in that despite it's obvious length, it never dragged.

I'll repeat what I said in that first bit of my last post, though (with italics for extra... italics): "In general, yeah, when it comes to breaking the immersion I find Tarantino to be one of the best/worst depending on how you view such things."

EDIT: I'll also point out what I said about this being more exaggerated than his previous films. When someone gets shot and pretty much explodes into a puddle of blood, it's most certainly megaphone material. Perhaps you'll understand more when you watch it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I purposefully ignored that so I could rip into you at my own pleasure.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Points for honesty. xD Go watch it so you can do it more effectively.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I will! I intend to.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Tarantino is not worse than Michael Bay in any respect because Tarantino's movies are actually enjoyable to watch.
    All of them except Death Proof anyway. God that was a terrible movie.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Planet Terror was Rodriguez. Tarantino did Death Proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Whatever, he was in Planet Terror. I loooved Death Proof.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I loved all of Grindhouse. Every 3.5 hour bit of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.