Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good at the time...

Default good at the time...

anyone else feel that although they liked this game while playing it, afterwards it seemed so bland and crappy?

im still giving it a 10/10 but thats only cause i couldnt bear to give a final fantasy anything less

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not really, I actually feel III was ahead of its time and generally I can't put it down. I've been having a blast replaying it again even if the WiFi is against me.

Of anything, its probably made me look at the FFs in the last 10 years and think "what the hell happened?" in some cases as the game utilizes gameplay in such unique ways (Mini dungeons, using classes as sorta like puzzle pieces to solve parts of the game). Recent entries feel a bit formulaic. Its made me kinda feel disappointed with IV cause that game seems so lackluster now compared to its predecessor.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

FFIII is incredibly detailed and beautiful for its time, and it remains one of the most lush 8-bit games ever. The plot and world design are just simple enough for me to find charm in each of their most minute details, as well.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Well, then that's your loss I'm afraid.
    But Wolf and Kawaii are right and took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks guys.
    Too bad you can't see the brilliance that is FF III. It really is one of the greatest entries in the series. Luckily, Japan realizes this and has it as its fourth fav FF, behind X, VII and IV.

I blame the fact that so little western gamers enjoy this one on the fact that it took almost 20 years for III to be released in english.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't play it until last summer, and just playing the NES version I was blown away.

I liked III a lot more than I expected. More than V even. The job system is a lot of fun without being daunting.
    I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII: DoC, VII: CC, VIII, X, X-2, XII, KH, KH:CoM, Re:CoM, KHII, CT

I think the NES version of this was like the fourth FF game I ever played and I instantly loved it. Too bad I only had a ROM of the incomplete fan-translation back then and didn't quite know where to look for the finished version We had a lot of laughs with Cid's wife though; the unfinished translation caused her gibberish NPC line to read "Urfyurfi!", which we never shut up about.

I'm about halfway through the DS remake and I found the whole damn thing to be bland and crappy. The characters are shallow and uninteresting, the quest is fairly homogeneous, the villain is just another random evil "just because" guy. The job system is pure crap. The soundtrack needs much more variation.

My girlfriend really likes it, but it's the first FF she's ever played... so nothing to compare it to!

I love it for being the first FF to actually kick my ass.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I only recently played the DS remake, and I really liked it. Not a great game, but the gameplay was interesting enough to keep me engaged, and the job system was definitely ahead of its time (though still under FFV and FFT).
    Last edited by Raistlin; 12-01-2009 at 10:13 PM.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by beema View Post
    the villain is just another random evil "just because" guy
    How dare you insult one of the things that set FF III apart from I and II, storywise. Xande was the first developed villain in the series, and anybody who says that is not true is in denial. Or, if you mean Cloud of Darkness, that was not a villain, merely a neutral force of nature that did what it was supposed to do. Next time you play it, pay attention to what the bland and boring characters actually have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beema View Post
    the villain is just another random evil "just because" guy
    How dare you insult one of the things that set FF III apart from I and II, storywise. Xande was the first developed villain in the series, and anybody who says that is not true is in denial. Or, if you mean Cloud of Darkness, that was not a villain, merely a neutral force of nature that did what it was supposed to do. Next time you play it, pay attention to what the bland and boring characters actually have to say. ;)
    I gotta agree with this, while I think CoD was a good final boss and great choice for Dissidia, she's as much as a villian in FFIII as Necron was in FFIX.

Dont get me wrong, I thought Xande sucked for a villian, but regardless, he WAS the main antagonist of FFIII.

i think that if they had somehow connected at least some of the bosses (goldar, hynne etc.) to each other and the Xande storyline it would have been a better story
    jus seems like random stuff then the main story

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Medusa and Kraken both mention they're working for Zande (they're actually the first you hear of him, which is nice and ominous). But I kind of appreciate the fact that one guy isn't behind all the world's problems for once; each city or region has at least one local villain who just can't get along with others, and in the course of vanquishing them, the Four Valiant Youths gain strength and connections that become vital to their cause by the end of the game.