Thread: Inglourious Basterds

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I went into this movie expecting to see massive Nazi killings, over the top gore, some humor, and the other usual Tarantino weird crap, and I was not disappointed. I do feel Brad Pitt's character was kind of an afterthought, but the guy who played Landa was tremendous and it was perfectly done.

If you like Tarantino you will get what you want out of this film.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah chiming in with the Landa love. What a great character. I think it should've shown more of the Basterds though, because I'd have liked to have known more about their characters and what made them tick, but I won't complain.

(SPOILER)Hitler getting iced was smurfing priceless. I thought for sure he'd slip out of the back or something. Hahaha. Also I kind of felt sorry for Zoller until he shot Shosannah.

Decent movie. Not as good as Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs or Kill Bill but there's no shame in that. I think someone said it was their film of 2009 and I'd have to agree so far.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Omfg omfg! Guys, no guys seriously guys! I'm very pro-semitic and very anti-flamboyant nazi (nazi in general actually) so this movie was like candy land for me. Never did I think I'd smile that much during probably the more disturbing scenes, but I also did this:

And yes, people are so very right. Christoph Waltz (whom I've never heard of until this film) is amazing in this. I also love the Hostel director as well. BEAR JEW! Last but not least, Samuel L. Jackson as the narrator is just luff. I wasn't expecting to hear his voice. xD

Psy is right though, it wasn't as good as Kill Bill Volume 1 and Pulp Fiction, but then again I doubt most films will live up to Pulp.

EDIT: Also would've liked to know why Lieutenant Aldo had the scar on his neck.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You gotta give major props to a character who can be terrifying just by ordering milk in one scene, and strangely cute and endearing in another. It's a bingo!

What a fabulous character.

Did the ordering of milk happen to be a coincidence to make the audience smirk or did he know it was her? Didn't get that.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm seeing this tonight, but I'm going to be tired as hell after working on my graduation project all day.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
    Did the ordering of milk happen to be a coincidence to make the audience smirk or did he know it was her? Didn't get that.
    I think it was intended to be ironic. No way he would have recognized her because he didn't even see her face as she was running away in the first scene.

Jellyfish swim by.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Yeah, it's meant to make you wonder, as is the fact that he had "something else" to ask her but forgot what it was. But the fact that he never comes back to her tells me that he didn't figure it out after all.

For the duration of that scene, though, you're definitely meant to wonder.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    EDIT: Also would've liked to know why Lieutenant Aldo had the scar on his neck.
    I think it's another one of those Tarantino mysteries. Looks like he got hung or lynched and somehow survived, though.

I think my favourite Lansa scene was the very first. The French farmer seemed like a really strong and forceful man, and Lansa seems like a mild-mannered bureaucrat, and yet he skillfully breaks him and brings him to tears. Brilliant stuff.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Were all the bastards accounted for at the end? (SPOILER)I know 2 got shot up in the basement, 2 were blown up in the theater, Brad Pitt and Ryan from the Office were alive at the end... where were the rest? Or was that all of them? Seemed like there were more...

Surprised that Samuel L Jackson narrated part of the film. I never picked up on that. Also surprised by the overwelmingly positive reaction to the film here. No-one else think some scenes dragged on too long? The scene in the tavern, despite ending effectively, was drawn out to an unbearable length. Same could be said for a lot of the film. And its not that I don't like listening to people talk. The opening scene goes on for over 20 minutes and I was gripped to the edge of my seat the entire time. Its just that the dialogue is very hit and miss a lot of the time. Shave off at least 30 minutes from this film and it would have been much more enjoyable in my opinion.

Quentin Tarantino needs to adapt his film making style in my opinion. What seemed refreshing back in the early 90's has been played out by this point. I hope Quentin Tarantino's next film is drastically different in style and structure from his previous films because its going to get much harder for me to care about his films from now on.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

saw this tonight, the theater was still completely *full*. We had to sit on the front row xD

I loved it. I loved the hilarity of the beginning and the end, but I also loved how the middle was totally a believable WW2 film. I started to wonder if this was actually a funny movie, had I imagined all that?

And that wasn't bad at all; the contrast was exhilarating.
    Also, I loved the french <3 it sounded wonderful (some of the translations weren't exactly word-for-word, was it like that with the german as well?)

and (SPOILER) I totally caught that three finger thing and was frantically trying to communicate it to stu, but he was completely bewildered xD

I'm going to be saying "natcy" for days.

[edit- I agree with everything in psy's post up there]

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Much like Kill Bill, by the trailer I was expecting a lot more action and was a little disappointed by the amount delivered - because again, like in Kill Bill, when he does it, it's friggin' amazing stuff, and I could probably watch a whole movie of sword fights and nazi killing.

I still got a total kick out of it. Really well done movie, especially Aldo, who had me lollin' almost anytime he opened his mouth.

I'm going to see this today. Very excited about it!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Just saw this two days ago. I absolutely loved the movie, and it is my favourite Tarantino movie so far.
    My favourite scenes was the first scene introducing Landa, and the scene in the bar where they meet Hammersmark.
    Both scenes had an incredible build of tension.
    Also, Brad Pitt's character was just hilarious.

This was one of the few american war films that I know of to actually employ germans in the roles. Waltz was probably the best actor in the film.
    It also meant that the spoken geman was actually good, and not awful as in most films. Brühl was ok, nothing too special. Never was a fan of Til Schweiger but I guess they casted the right person.

I still wished Tarantino would have made a little more of an effort to distinguish germans, german soldiers and the nazis in the film (he did a little). Most people dont know the difference.
    Not that it was necessary for the movie, but it would have been nice for me. 65 years of documentaries and films skillfully avoiding the perspective of the average german family has meant that my whole life I need to have an encyclofukingpedic knowledge of the war just so I can explain to my friend's parents that im not evil and wont gas them when I come around to their house, while they treat me with weary politeness, heh.

Absolutely nothing to do with the movie but was just hoping for a pop movie like this one to clear it up for the less knowledgable masses (sorry if that sounds arrogant).

Also, some of the german dialogue didnt have english subtitles, which made me wonder why. If anyone is interested what was said during some of the scenes then just ask
    Last edited by Croyles; 12-06-2009 at 01:02 AM.