(SPOILER)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Part 5

(SPOILER)

This is all I have for now. There is still a third of the book left with monsters, armor, relics, and armor. Not to mention Chocobos Not to mention three more books (thought they are more like traditional strategy guides)

Hopefully, some people more knowledgeable than me can help translate.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've gotten the last stretch of the book scanned and uploaded onto photobucket. I'll post them later cause I'm a bit tired and wish to spend some quality time with Dissidia Duodecim.

I'm debating on whether I want to get the other three books scanned, or if I should wait on them. One is basically a full strategy guide, one is a monster/magic/weapon guide, and the last has maps of every dungeon and is a bit of a mini walk-through.

I may just scan parts that seem interesting, there are some fun chibi pictures of the game sprites doing stuff in one of the books and the other book has another set of character statistics including Gogo and Umaro who are absent in the main book.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

The dorky expressions on the character art before their bios was quite amusing

I'm also thoroughly in love with the location artwork. Even if they are just far away shots of towns etc, they look so nice

I can't help you in the translation stakes, but by george I am looking forward to reading it. It all looks quite awesome.

Plus three more books omg this is ridiculous.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Part 6
    (SPOILER)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Part 7

(SPOILER)

And that is everything from the Settei Shiryou Hen. I still have the Kanzen Koryaku Hen (Dungeon/Map guide), the Kiso Chishiki Hen (Elementary Knowledge Guide), and the Boken Guide Book (Strategy Guide). So I'll upload them at some point in the future but honestly, I don't feel they are as necessary as this one.

Hah, just out of curiousity I tried my hand at translating the very first snippet of text in the upper left corner of the back-flap of the cover(you can see the text partially cut off in the upper right corner of the very last image you posted). That was just two sentences, and it took me about one hour to fully decipher it, and I'm pretty sure it's not 100% right, especially the first sentence, which is still pretty garbled to me. The snippet reads like this (in romaji, cuz I don't want to type japanese):

24 mega no daiyouryou o zonbun ni katsuyoushi, gurafikku ya suto-ri-, shisutemu ga sara ni suke-ruappu shi ta(stupid Umaro won't let me type the past-tense suru here) fainarufantaji- VI. honsho wa, ge-musofuto hatsubai mae ni ichi hayoku fainarufantaji- VI no sekai e izanau.

I translated this(and I stress that this how I translated this) as:

Final Fantasy VI has again pushed the limits of the "graphic story" by using the 24MB capacity system to its fullest. This book invites you into the preconceptual stages of the Final Fantasy VI world.

I used some poetic license to try and make it sound like something that would actually be said in English, but I believe this is the general idea of what is being said here.

I'd love to try and translate the entire book, but god, it would be a nightmare.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I understand, I have a very, very limited knowledge of kanji and was basically getting my ass kicked just trying to translate the intro page. I've been looking around the web to see if I can get some help from other FF fan-sites but one seems pretty dis-interested and the other has shown some interest, but I haven't heard back from the people who are actually in charge.

I may need to brush up on stroke rules for kanji, cause it would help me immensely to look up half the kanji cause that's how most of the dictionaries I've found are organized.

My go-to dictionary for all my japanese needs has always been Denshi Jisho - Online Japanese dictionary. You can look up kanji by radical and it automatically converts romaji to kana with amazing accuracy. It's been a life-saver for me over the years.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The site looks promising. I'm drumming up some support to get help with translating.

Lives in a zoo Recognized Member Renmiri's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Awesome work!
    Me and my kids have dragon eggs:

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

You might try approaching Justy, who is studying Japanese. He may appreciate some practice, and he's rather good.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Just thought you'd like to know I've recently begun working on some of this again. I've been writing a FFVI prequel series for a few years now, and with the completion of the first book I'm inching towards the more official events of the game's history, and wanted to make sure everything I write is canon with the timelines. To that end, I'm translating the various timelines in this book at the moment, and have just completed the major global timeline. Here's a link to my translated .rtf file:

http://www.espritduo.com/random/ff6_timeline.rtf

As I said before, my translating skills are still pretty rough, but I'm fairly sure my translations capture the meaning of the text accurately enough. I have both the original Japanese and my translations under it in the file, so feel free to review the translation and if you see anything grossly incorrect, I'd love to know.

If you want, I can keep posting the other local timelines(Narshe, Figaro, Doma, Mt. Koltz, and some more general stuff on the sides) as I complete them in the coming weeks. I'll probably keep going after that as well, just to get as much background info as I can for my story.
    Last edited by espritduo; 10-29-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Currently writing a massive prequel to FFVI. Starts thousands of years before the game begins with the birth of magic, and chronicles the entire history of the FFVI world. Check it out!

Final Fantasy VI - The Sands of Time

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Your translation looks pretty accurate and it actually verifies that the lunarpage translation is in fact accurate. Course... it looks like the page is gone but luckily I made sure to make a copy of the text.Final Fantasy VI Timeline.doc so hopefully this may help you with your story since they also seemed to have translated the timelines and info of the different cities and places.
    Attached Files Attached Files