Thread: My jip with this game

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Default My jip with this game

To me the best thing about Final Fantasy VI was the depth given to all of the characters (with the exception of the last minute additions before heading off to fight Kefka). Throughout the first 60% or so of the game, there was lots of character development, as well as lots of interaction between all the characters, leading to conflicts/love/whatever.

After Kefka took over the world, and you were left with just Celes who was given the hard task of finding all of her lost friends, I think it went downhill. I loved it the most when you were forced to choose certain characters for certain parts of the game, mainly because of all the development that happened. However, every time you went to re-recruit your old party members, they would all give bland replies directed to no one in particular. When first recruiting Terra, I noticed how what she was saying was directed to no one in particular, and was just her saying that she lost her will to fight. After finding that Locke, my favorite character, was given the same sort of treatment, I found it hard to finish the game. Eventually I did, and the final monologues did help somewhat redeem it, but I still felt a little let down.

This probably wasn't too much of a gripe for other people, but it really annoyed me. What do you guys think?

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

I think it was a necessary limitation of the non-linear nature of the World of Ruin, but each character continued to flourish and resolve themselves within their own individual subplots. And then they got to interact with one another again during the ending, in the various vignettes comprising their escape from Kefka's tower.

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Yeah. Thankfully the ending was able to make up for what I didn't enjoy, and personally wrapped up everyone's stories better than any other Final Fantasy in my opinion.

I started playing FF6 for the 2nd time a few months ago on and off, but it was the first time I played more than 15 hours, because my ps1 copy broke. Anyway I've gotten to the part after kefka takes over the world where I've reacquired the airship and haven't played it in over a month. Like you say, I have little motivation to play it now. I've found myself having little patience with FF6's gameplay from the beginning anyway.

Blog Entries

I agree it was abit unemotional having the characters display a generic reaction to the characters but as it wasnt known who would be taken to collect certain characters it wouldve taken too much effort to write out scripts for every character and combination. It would have been a very nice touch but at the same time I would be annoyed as I would have to keep replaying sections to get out every line of dialogue I can.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Personally I thought the game was flat in the character devlopment and plot. Whether this was because of the media restraints I don't know, but I came away from the game with little care for any of it (hence I never replayed it)

Had I started with VI when it first came out I am sure I would have seen it as a bit more revolutionary but as it stands, I don't really see anything in it, apart from some good gameplay and a very good OST.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think the dialogue ever really bothered me. There are some exceptions as well cause Locke does have a moment with Celes if I remember correctly and Strago won't join unless Relm is there, so they definetly have a few moments. Of course Edgar and Setzer are also given deeper growth since they are required to recruit. Gau's "reunion" with his father is also affected by who you have in your party as well.

I focused more on the fact the characters were trying to overcome their personal hang ups and don't let "them not mentioning anyone by name" bother me as much. I was more concerned with Cyan overcoming his grief and Terra learning to believe in herself. That's just my thoughts though. I felt the personal growth of the cast was done rather well in the second half and its hardly worse than the character growth of later entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I don't think the dialogue ever really bothered me. There are some exceptions as well cause Locke does have a moment with Celes if I remember correctly and Strago won't join unless Relm is there, so they definetly have a few moments. Of course Edgar and Setzer are also given deeper growth since they are required to recruit. Gau's "reunion" with his father is also affected by who you have in your party as well.

I focused more on the fact the characters were trying to overcome their personal hang ups and don't let "them not mentioning anyone by name" bother me as much. I was more concerned with Cyan overcoming his grief and Terra learning to believe in herself. That's just my thoughts though. I felt the personal growth of the cast was done rather well in the second half and its hardly worse than the character growth of later entries.
    While more personalized dialogue depending on who you have is a very welcome addition, and something I hope to be in a remake, this basically sums up my feelings.

you think their interaction was saved in the ending?
    Every characters ending involved Edgar, Celes and Setzer, because they were the only required characters in the WoR. If you didn't notice that, you didn't pay attention much to the ending. When Celes falls and Locke rescues her, Setzer does if you didn't get Locke again. And if Sabin wasn't recruited, then the three of them work together to remove the blockage instead of Sabin by himself. Otherwise, every other ending is identical.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    you think their interaction was saved in the ending?
    Every characters ending involved Edgar, Celes and Setzer, because they were the only required characters in the WoR. If you didn't notice that, you didn't pay attention much to the ending. When Celes falls and Locke rescues her, Setzer does if you didn't get Locke again. And if Sabin wasn't recruited, then the three of them work together to remove the blockage instead of Sabin by himself. Otherwise, every other ending is identical.

THE JACKAL
    You forgot the greatest part of the descent of Kefka's tower at the end. Shadow deciding it was his time and stayed behind within the falling tower.

I also despise the anonymous dialogue throughout the game. Something about it feels awkward and makes me feel uneasy, I'm not sure what though, but every time I see two characters talk to each other with just speech marks I get really annoyed. It is funny, however, to be able to make your party that consists entirely of Gau and Umaro inexplicably gain the ability to speak English fluently, maturely and eloquently.

At least they tried in Chrono Trigger by having each character have lines for different sidequests but then instead of "anonymous" it becomes "monologuey" instead.

Aren't these debates years old. Someone had to publish a game this good for the time. There's no way to know your exact expectations I liked the game enough to keep me busy and occupied.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really loved this game! Personally I thought for a long time this was the best game in the FF series. I never finished it on my first play through got stuck on a side quest then FFXII came out & I haven't played it since. I've have to restart it again soon

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My biggest issue with FFVI is that it's not enough like FFVII

I didn't mind that the dialogue in the second half of the game wasn't as personalised as it was earlier, though story was still as gripping and the characters were just as good. The non-linearity easily made up for it as well.